Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
1990 38' Regency Widebody
 Login now/Join our community

posted Hide Post
Thom, it's a nice looking coach and summer is near - you'll do well. Only Doug Vanse knows how to make a profit from these things (at least he says). I think I saw him trying to sell a bridge once too...

Posts: 136 | Location: IL | Member Since: 08-25-2005Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Founder and Moderator Emeritus
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted Hide Post
quote:
perhaps I should invest in the stock market.

The answer is yes you should invest in the stock market.

Owning a "vintage type" motor home is not a money maintaining evdeavor. It is hopefully a sanity, happiness, wellbeing, maintaining endeavor.

I bought my coach for $15K in 2000, I have plowed at least $15K in it. If I sold it today I would be lucky to get $10K, maybe $8K.

I haven't taken it out near as much as I should have but I have very fond memories and plan on really doing some stuff this summer.

Posts: 557 | Location: Eden Prairie, Minnesota | Member Since: 02-07-2006Report This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Every nickel I have put into an RV, airplane, boat, motorcycle or automobile has been a loss if viewed as a financial investment. The only time I didn't have a loss was when I owned it for a short time and didn't put any money into it. The longer kept, or the more spent, the lousier investment it usually is.

However, most of the nickels I put into my vehicles were either mandatory, or bought me far more than a nickel's worth of pleasure. So, I see it all as a mental-health investment that has paid off handsomely. Our entertainment and bar bills are low, so it evens out.

Rant follows.

Whenever a Barth is reported bought or sold, the price is never reported. I wish this site reported selling prices instead of just asking prices, as there is often a big difference, and many prospective buyers would like a little bit of an idea of the market.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Report This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Children, repeat after me once more: No RV is a financial investment, it is an investment in fun.

If financial loss at the end of your ownership causes you pain, you should not have gone into it from the start. This principle applies equally to boats, airplanes, sports cars, &
anything else purchased for the purpose of recreation, or pride of ownership.

The one possible exception is classic cars, but that's a chancy thing too, as that market slides up and down as makes vary in popularity. Classic cars are about as certain as the stock market, and they're nicer to look at than stock certificates, but they take up a helluva lot more room.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Report This Post
Picture of thomfeit
posted Hide Post
I agree with all those thoughts. Certainly Barb and I did not purchase the Barth with a thought of selling at a profit. It was an investment in joy, travel and meeting some of the finest folks around.

Realism also tells me that just allowing the unit to set through an Arizona summer is not the best. We do wish for someone to enjoy the unit as we did.

Thom & Barb Feit
SOB

Posts: 44 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Member Since: 06-19-2005Report This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted Hide Post
I was the high bidder. I had a 1987 40' Regency many years ago and loved it. I bought a Beaver after that, wasn't pleased and now have a 1991 Newell that I couldn't be happier with. I've been trying to get my brother in law to buy it but not having any luck. It's a lot of motorhome for the money but it's a long way from Alabama.

Posts: 5 | Location: Montgomery, Ala. USA | Member Since: 01-09-2001Report This Post
posted Hide Post
12K seems like a lot to spend on mechanics right off the bat. What was wrong and did you know it when you bought it?

Posts: 5 | Location: Montgomery, Ala. USA | Member Since: 01-09-2001Report This Post
Picture of thomfeit
posted Hide Post
Well, it did not sell. We will keep it and try to use it as much as possible. Someone missed out on one really fine coach.

Thom & Barb Feit
SOB

Posts: 44 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Member Since: 06-19-2005Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/12
posted Hide Post
Just so you guys don’t feel too bad, I checked NADA and if you had a one year old Safari and kept it 2 years you would drop 80 grand in value. I would put an 89 Barth up against a 2006 Safari any day.

Posts: 189 | Location: South Daytona Fl | Member Since: 07-02-2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Towerguy, is This the coach you are looking at?
If so i would go look in person and check it out.
I have not seen this coach in person and i doubt it will look brand new, But i think for the money (if it's still priced around 32,000) if it checks out o.k. i would buy it.
i considered it when on e-bay but i've been the 2 coach owner route before and took a terrible financial loss. i will take a terrible financial loss on my current Barth when i sell it as well. That's what usually happens to people who buy AND use an rv of any kind.
a lot of folks look at fuel prices today and panic. terror sets in and the sky is falling attitude sets in. prices drop like flies in ddt spray for the rv market. If i remember this coach even has a kingdome sat on it but i never clarified that with thom.
Look in person and then YOU be the judge.

Forgot to add: look at my sig. and my home town and my rig.
We are in it in Lake Wales Florida as i write this. the coach you are looking at is newer,higher powered and longer. That doesn't mean it's better, but it could, and i'd look for close to the same money for mine.

mike foster
83-35' regency 8.2 detroit towing 98 cherokee classic 4x4

Posts: 149 | Location: earlham,iowa-usa | Member Since: 01-08-2001Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/09
Picture of towerguy
posted Hide Post
Hi Diana,

I bought the 38' Barth Regency you are asking about. Thom and Barb are on the road in their new SOB.

Bill, Sharron, Hayley and Bridgett

1990 38' Regency Widebody [RDG-B), Anniversary Edition, Cat 3208TA - 300HP, Gillig Chassis, Side Aisle

"Stagecoach"
1990 38' Regency Widebody (RDG-B)
Anniversary Edition
Cat 3208TA - 300HP
Gillig Chassis
Side Aisle

Posts: 480 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Member Since: 04-02-2007Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Maybe we should try to start a new thread. One thing to consider is that we want to do what we can to maintain the market value of these Barths. Most of us will sell ours at one time or another and while we never get what we put into them, we would like to receive a reasonable price. That said, there are situations that come up where a coach is sold for a price below market. I would not advertise that. It could be sickness, financial problems, or any number of other things. We need to be discreet.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Towerguy I believe i bought your old coach in Denver i would like any info you can give me on this coach ? anything would be greatly appreciated ! I didn't find any of the manuals or reciepts thanks,Kool Car Guy

Posts: 8 | Location: northern colorado | Member Since: 10-29-2013Report This Post