Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
TX. 1984 Regal 35'
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Daddo
posted Hide Post
I had to push my business trip back a week due to Apple Computer introducing new hardware that was not available. I'm heading to Dallas tomorrow. I have spoken to Kay once and left her a couple messages. I'll probably still go by and take a look at it but if she's hoping for $20k she's heading in the wrong direction.

83 28' Barth "Euro"
Chevrolet 454
P-32 Chassis

Posts: 34 | Location: Chambersburg, PA | Member Since: 09-14-2009Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
Picture of Curtis H.
posted Hide Post
It's back! 1984 Barth 35' Motorhome - $15000 (Dallas)

I guess they just can't make up their minds, now it's up for $15,000...what's it going to be next???

1984 Barth Class A Motorhome
454 Big Block Chevy Engine
Gear Vendors Overdrive
New Transmission
Headers on Exhaust\
Hydraulic Leveling Jacks
Backup Camera
Convection/Microwave
Generator

"The greatest good you can do for another is not just share your riches but to reveal to him his own." Benjamin Disraeli

Posts: 99 | Location: Rochester, MI | Member Since: 10-08-2007Report This Post
Picture of Daddo
posted Hide Post
I met Kay earlier this week. The Barth was up on jack stands and someone was there working on it. Took a picture of the data tag and some of the fuel injection components. Kay said it was supposed to be advertised on craigslist for $9500 but the person putting up the add for her made a mistake. She said there are some local people interested in it. Flying home tomorrow so I'll may call her again before leaving. The tires are dry rotted but if I were to try to drive it home I'd put two new tires on the front and take a new spare with me. At least it is down off the leveler jacks. I'll have some pics to post when I get home.

83 28' Barth "Euro"
Chevrolet 454
P-32 Chassis

Posts: 34 | Location: Chambersburg, PA | Member Since: 09-14-2009Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted Hide Post
I'm new on the forum. I just bought this coach. Having a mechanic getting it road ready (changing fluids,belts, hoses,thermostat,repack bearings etc...),, also putting new tires on it and driving it home 150 miles to Southern Oklahoma. I might need you guys help with other basic issues...but it looks like a solid foundation from which to make a really nice, SAFE,quality unit for our family...we are late-in-life new parents with a 1, 2 and 4 year old! I was born/raised with motorhomes in the 70's and 80's fixing and tinkering with them. Didn't see many problems that couldn't be fixed a little at a time in evenings out in the driveway. We're going to get it Friday.

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the family cheers Sounds like you know your way around a motor home. The life is a great family experience. Your kids will love it, maybe even more than their parents. My son-in-law's favorite memory of his childhood was riding around in the family van going camping.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Jim,
Thanks for note! We're excited about the coach. I see you have a Gear vendors overdrive also. I've never had one. How does it work? I was told that when they added this unit (the owner was a consciensus mechanical type of person), they took out the trans, machined the housing and added extra clutches or bands to the trans? Is the gear vendor unit automatic or manual? Is there a control? What does it do to your power and gas mileage. This coach has an aftermarket fuel injection system on it. Runs/starts so smooth.

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
Kive, welcome to the site.

Mary

Don't mess with us old folks, we don't get old by being stupid!
1968 Barth trailer, 1975 Barth Motorhome and 1985 Barth Motorhome

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Report This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your purchase. That is an interesting coach. The layout is similar to ours, with the kitchen on the passenger side. Susan (my Floor Plan Queen) really likes it there. Of course, being shorter, we don't have a dinette.

Would you let us all know where the final price ended up?

quote:
Originally posted by kive kerr:
Jim,
Thanks for note! We're excited about the coach. I see you have a Gear vendors overdrive also. I've never had one. How does it work?

http://www.gearvendors.com/

Read their site. Talk to them. They will send you an operator's manual.

Don't use OD for engine braking and be gentle when backing up. In my own case, I wired it for manual control, and used it only for second overdrive climbing and 3rd OD for level cruising.

quote:
I was told that when they added this unit (the owner was a consciensus mechanical type of person), they took out the trans, machined the housing and added extra clutches or bands to the trans?

That;s interesting. There are a couple of mods to a TH400 that racers do, but a stock TH400 doesn't need much for MH use, given the power and the power band of the engine. Does it have a trans temp gauge?

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Report This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kive kerr:
It does have a trans temp gauge.

That's good. I would imagine it has a trans cooler, too, then.

The TH400 is almost bullet proof if you keep it cool and change the fluid now and then.

They last longer if you disable the throttle kickdown. Full-throttle downshifts on a heavy vehicle on a steep uphill are a little tough on any transmission. A momentary light throttle and quick hand lever downshift eliminates a lot of mechanical shock on the internals.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Report This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your purchase, as is our custom here, we have moved this to the sold forum and have deleted the original posters contact info.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
Congratulations and happy trails! Tooling Along Glad to see this one back on the road.

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/09
Picture of T&T&B
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your new purchase Kive. So far you've done at least three things right, you bought a Barth, you're getting it ready for the trip the right way, you found this site Big Grin

You will not find a greater bunch of people anywhere, and with all the knowledge on this site, it's entirely possible you will not need a mechanic (that is if you don't mind getting your hands dirty....)

Tina

36' Barth Regency
3208 Cat 250 HP
Allison 4 speed Transmission, Gillig Chassis
"If it ain't a CAT it's a DOG"

Posts: 142 | Location: South Florida - La Belle | Member Since: 03-21-2009Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of StinkyDaddy
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the family Kive, have a good trip home.

Bill & Sherrie
'65 Barth Travel Trailer (built in '64)
B1-174-24
'66 Barth Travel Trailer
D11-412-24
www.WilliamMitchellStudios.com

Posts: 549 | Location: Southern Virginia | Member Since: 09-21-2009Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
My Gear Vendors can work automatically or manually. The shift points are adjusted for the automatic mode. There should be a control unit somewhere near the drivers position. The way I work mine, I can have six gears, 1st, 1st OD, 2nd, 2nd OD, 3rd, 3rd OD. 1st OD is useful when just crawling around but not at 5mph, 2nd OD is good at climbing steep hills, although, here in the East, there's usually nothing that I can't handle in 3rd. Bill is absolutely correct, don't use the Gear Vendors as a hill brake. Also, talk to them about how full the Gear Vendors should be and the type of gear oil to use. Some of the owner manuals are old and incorrect. Fortunately, I called them before I drained and refilled mine the first time. Otherwise, I would have put in the wrong oil and too much of it. It's a special GM product. If you need to know, tell me and I'll go to the garage and get mine and give you the specs.
I didn't get it for fuel economy, but have gained about 1 mpg. The main reason was to be kind to the 454. 55mph is about 2300 RPMs.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Guys,

I got home with our "new" Barth Regal 35. Things went well. It sure does run and drive well. I took down 8 new tires and had them put on a couple of miles from the previous owners home. I was quite fortunate that I was able to hire her nephew (who had been around the coach for the last 15 years and knew it pretty well. He was a real sharp mechanic) to get the coach road ready. We change all fluids, oil, trans, gas, filters, belts, hoses, checked brakes, ujoints, new batteries and the trip was problem free...exception of the tire man did not tighten the air-valve extension...one inside dual went flat and I ruined a new tire about 20 miles from home. I slowed to 25mph and drove it on in.

I have one question. I couldn't get the bags on the tag-axle to air up...where is the air pump? Is there an "emergency" fill on it where you can fill them up with an air hose? I found a "tiny" air pump in front of the radiator...looks more it's for the air horn.

I'm sure I'll be back with you all with more questions as we get everything up to snuff.

Kive