Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
92 Breakaway on E-Bay
 Login now/Join our community

posted

Posts: 199 | Location: Costa Mesa, CA 92626 USA | Member Since: 01-05-2004Report This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post

Is this the same coach?

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Report This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I think it is a different coach. Look at the driving/fog lights.

The one on E Bay does not show the right side at all. Can anyone tell if it is a front or side entrance? What is that hump between the driver's and passenger seats? I got an engine under my hump. Does anyone recognize the floor plan?

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Report This Post
posted Hide Post
This is a brochure picture.

This is very close to the 92 Barth that we have. What you think is a hump in the front is a little cabinet with a drawer for handy things like flashlights, etc.

It is a front entry model. In looking at the license plate on the back I would say this is the unit that was sold on ebay Aug/Sept this year in Ohio for $50,000.

Posts: 30 | Location: Renton, Wa. USA | Member Since: 08-16-2005Report This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcn:
What you think is a hump in the front is a little cabinet with a drawer for handy things like flashlights, etc.

What I am asking about is the elevated area that the cabinet sits on.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Report This Post
posted Hide Post
There really isn't a hump. I think it's just a optical illusion with the carpet in front of it.

All I know is our 92 Breakaway the floor is totally flat in front. Make's it handy to get in out of the driver's seat.

Posts: 30 | Location: Renton, Wa. USA | Member Since: 08-16-2005Report This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
The coach we saw at Homestead was very close to this but the striping went above the bottom of the windows. Is that anyone here?

------------------
Dan & Suzy Z
'81 Euro 28

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Report This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcn:
There really isn't a hump. I think it's just a optical illusion with the carpet in front of it.

All I know is our 92 Breakaway the floor is totally flat in front. Make's it handy to get in out of the driver's seat.

Thank you for the explanation. I was feeling a little stupid there. I was imagining a raised hump for a GMC blower on the genset or such like.

posted Hide Post
I looked over this coach yesterday. Overall, I think the owner represented the coach well. It's beautiful.

There are a couple of things that bothered me but, since this is the first one I have ridden in, they may not be unusual.

For one thing, the ride of the Spartan chassis was very harsh - expansion joints in the I-5 freeway jolted the interior enough that I was concerned that electrical and plumbing parts might get broken. For another, the coach exibited a roll and weave whenever a quick directional change was made as in changing lanes. My response was yikes!

Is this normal or is it fixable?

Bildan

Posts: 7 | Location: Centennial, Colorado, USA | Member Since: 02-02-2004Report This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bildan:
the coach exibited a roll and weave whenever a quick directional change was made as in changing lanes.

Good news for you, I think it's fixable

The weave/roll that you felt was most likely caused by the high rubber on the new wheels.

The tires on alot of new trucks give the driver a feeling of looseness that makes them think the suspension is loose. Since the Firestone/Ford fiascal I have noticed higher air psi readings on all truck tires across the board.

Tires are just air springs, they support the total weight of the vehicle. The air spring action of the tire is very important to the ride quality and safe handling of the vehicle. Not just traction control.

Tires should be viewed as the number-one ride control component. Tire size, construction, compound and inflation are very important to the ride quality. Air psi determines the spring rate of the tire.

An over inflated tire will have a higher spring rate and will produce excessive road shock. Over inflation will transmit road shock rather than reduce it. Over inflation will also affects the handling and tire wear. If the tire is running on the center set of nubs it will give you a loose feeling.

Truck tires are loaded to 80,000 lbs and if the tire says 110 lbs of psi people will put it there. In the real world a coach doesn't get that type of weight and the excessive psi will cause what your describing. There is No Manufacturer that will tell you to lower your air psi. They would be setting themselves up for a lawsuit. My "opinion" is 80-95 lbs for the weight of most coaches is ok. The trick is to run with the higher psi and then use a tire depth guage to measure your tire tread loss. The center will wear down quicker and by lowering your psi you will find out where the correct air psi for your weight is.

Tires have a "load range" check your and if it's too high then you will need to take other actions like replacing all of the tires or, in the real world lowering air psi. If the owner of this coach showed up at the tire dealership they will sell you a higher rating because they can sell the same tire to a trucker. Imaging selling a lower rated tire to the same trucker. Lawsuit city! For the tire dealer it's easier to keep the higher load range on hand and sell that one to everybody. It's legal that way but the unsuspecting customer suffers in ride quality.

Notice: Disclaimer:
No, I do manufacture or sell tires. I am grounded in real world practice. I am NOT telling you to lower your tire psi. I still want to live in my house so anything you do is at YOUR OWN RISK!

------------------

1991 Barth Regal
460 EFI C6 Transmission
33' Oshkosh/John Deere Chassis

http://www.truckroadservice.com/

[This message has been edited by Bill (edited December 31, 2005).]

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Report This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:

There are a couple of things that bothered me but, since this is the first one I have ridden in, they may not be unusual.

Is this normal or is it fixable?

Bildan

As Epicurus' wrote to Herodotus, we need to define our terms. At least "normal".

When you say, "this is the first one I have ridden in", I wonder if this is the first motor home you have ridden in or if this is the first Barth or Spartan you have ridden in. All motor homes (except maybe FMCs) do a little sway and roll whenever a quick directional change is made. So, what is normal for a car or pickup is different from what is normal for a motor home.

Another consideration is that the passenger always feels these movements more dramatically than the driver.

A P30 with low front air bags will really get your sway alert beeping.

I believe Bill might be on to something with the tires. Do you know what brand they are? If it starts with M, that could be it. I have put new "B"s on several MHs, and noticed no looseness, but "B"s are noted for their firm ride.

Again, in defining our terms, we must ask whether or not that section of I-5 is "normal" I had a Corvette that almost "hopped" on that road. Some other vehicle made me think I was experiencing a sidewall separation or something.

If you really like that coach, I would suggest a few tests in other RVs if you are new to this, and a test on the Barth on better roads.

I am sure Breakaway owners with valid comparisons will post here. For my own part, before I bought my gas Barth, I test drove several Breakaways, and they all drove and rode far better than the Southwind I owned at the time.

Will you be driving it in mountains? I would also suggest a hill climb with it. Climb Cajon or Tejon pass.

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
I looked over this coach yesterday. Overall, I think the owner represented the coach well. It's beautiful.

If you are really serious about this coach go for it. I really don't think you will have a problem. The coach is to far away for me to look at so get a friend to help you make an objective opinion. Pay a truck or coach mechanic to look at it. Do not buy any coach that you can "just afford" as no coach will ever just take the initial purchase price from you.

------------------

1991 Barth Regal
460 EFI C6 Transmission
33' Oshkosh/John Deere Chassis

http://www.truckroadservice.com/

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
A few answers to your questions.

The tires on the coach were new Toyo's and, according to the owner and my visual inspection, were inflated properly. I have driven a lot of new tires and I have never noticed a 'loose' behavior that later went away.

As for me, my daily driver is a Jeep so I am accustomed to a harsh ride - this seemed worse than the Jeep. Is it possible that the leaf springs needed interleaf lubrication?

The roll and weave were less of a problem but I was expecting something like a bus ride. The owner suggested that a very light touch on the steering wheel was needed to keep the thing straight - I'd say he was right about that.

OK, so maybe I'm over-reacting but I thought I'd ask.

Posts: 7 | Location: Centennial, Colorado, USA | Member Since: 02-02-2004Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/12
posted Hide Post
I drove the unit like this that sold in Ohio this fall. It rode very nice and handled quite well.

------------------

Posts: 15 | Location: New Philadelphia, Ohio 44663 | Member Since: 10-07-2005Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
What would cause the aluminum sheet metal on the driver's side to be wrinkled and wavey? My older coach has more windows so I'm not familiar with this condition.........

"THE TOY" 88 33' Regal SE Coach #3448

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Report This Post