Tools
1992 Barth breakaway 190 cummins
 Login now/Join our community

posted Hide Post
its a 30" thank you

Posts: 10 | Location: Akron ohio | Member Since: 04-08-2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
We often had Class C motorhome builders that
severely overloaded the Rear Axle with too much overhang, and so we set up the Tag Axle addition on the Cutaway Motorhome chassis with
a Chevy dealer in Nappanee, Indiana, to correct
this problem. I don't remember any Class A
motorhome steering problems, but I remember this
same dealer adding this same type tag axle on our motorhome chassis for 30+ foot motorhomes.
And remember this was in the 1971-78 time frame.
I remember driving one of the Class C motorhomes
with the long overhang, and believe me it was
real spooky!! You had a real hard time trying
to keep the coach going straight on a bumpy road. The tag axle was made by the Hammerblow
Company of Wisconsin, as I remember.

It is very important to know the GAWR on both
axles, when the coach is loaded with cargo and
people for a trip.

Jake Jacobson

Posts: 69 | Location: Harper Woods, MI, USA | Member Since: 05-06-2005Report This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
The ratio is only a small part of the story.

The real factor is "polar moment of inertia" and weight at the end of the moment arm. This is more easily calculated if we know the center of gravity as well as the overall length and wheelbase. A properly designed front engine coach can tolerate more overhang than a pusher. I know one fellow who removed his genset from the rear and bought a little Honda 2000. He reported quite an improvement in handling. The same fellow reported better handling with empty water and gas tanks. I have noticed some longer Barth gassers have the genset located amidships, probably for that reason.

As an example, I converted a Corvair to mid-engine. The length to wheelbase remained unchanged, but the difference in handling was astounding.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
In spite of the short wheelbase and long rear overhang, my Breakaway weighs in at 5280# front and 10620# rear, fully loaded, so it's not badly balanced.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you everyone for your input. It was sold today. kenny

Posts: 10 | Location: Akron ohio | Member Since: 04-08-2006Report This Post