Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
TN ~ 1988 Barth Regency Class A
 Login now/Join our community

posted Hide Post
I simply wanted to get back. Thank the folks that did give me their Input with regard the purchase of Sam's Barth. Of course I didn't purchase it: But it did reinforce my desire for an all purpose short vehicle.

Which culminated in the purchase of a 95 Gillig Phantom. It has the 8.3 Liter Cummins, and the Allison B400 currently sitting at 5 speeds with a final Drive of .75.

It is of course unmodified in any way: But it wasn't 12K either: Has been maintained, presumably by professionals its entire life; And though it was said it couldn't be done. IT IS TURNKEY wack Here are some photo's of it for those interested, It's high mileage that's for sure;

So for the time being this Gillig is my Barth........

https://www.facebook.com/media...2124313912450&type=1

Aloha............Mokibra

Posts: 10 | Location: Honolulu, Hawaii | Member Since: 03-24-2014Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
If it was a BUS you wanted, then certainly not Sam's or any other MOTORHOME was going to fill the bill. As for "Turnkey", that is subject to interpretation. I think what Kevin meant was NEEDING NOTHING and essentially ready to drive and use with everything working. By, EVERYTHING, on this site we assume the things normally associated with a MOTORHOME.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Report This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mokibrabrant:
I simply wanted to get back. Thank the folks that did give me their Input.....

Aloha............Mokibra

send some pics when you have converted it....

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Post suspended for Moderator review

Posts: 10 | Location: Honolulu, Hawaii | Member Since: 03-24-2014Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
If it was a BUS you wanted, then certainly not Sam's or any other MOTORHOME was going to fill the bill. As for "Turnkey", that is subject to interpretation. I think what Kevin meant was NEEDING NOTHING and essentially ready to drive and use with everything working. By, EVERYTHING, on this site we assume the things normally associated with a MOTORHOME.

hide Yes I want a solid, heavy duty Duty Bus Chassis: Crown, Gillig, Oshkosh, Freightliner in that order. Yes I want a basic platform with a proven drive train preferably not skinned in fiberglass. Turnkey? Subject to interpretation? Everything is Functional maintenance has not been neglected: Take off tomorrow with no "known" issues to address. Irrespective of vehicle. My interpretation. D'oh

Sam's Coach? Presented multiple obstacles: Without going through the long list of "matters needing to be tended to".. The conclusion I reached was in addition to the initial cost, there would be additional thousands of dollars to address a myriad of known problems, paint, tires, levelers, interior, etc etc etc. This coupled with "owner fixes" to undo.

So what to do? I decided to get a 30ft Coach: With no known defects, a better power train, with double overdrive, Built like a tank, by a company still doing business, that has been on a fairly rigorous maintenance regime its entire existence. Every little problem addressed:

"If it was a BUS you wanted, then certainly not Sam's or any other MOTORHOME was going to fill the bill"

That's just flat out wrong: The most luxurious are of course built on a Bus Chassis. Safety, Reliability, Form, and Function. You may desire a house built on a Bread Truck. I do not.

"I think what Kevin meant was NEEDING NOTHING and essentially ready to drive and use with everything working. By, EVERYTHING, on this site we assume"

First an attempt to convey what Kevin "meant" and further along "we assume". I have no idea what any of that means. Or how or why it is relevant.

I merely returned here to thank the good people, many of whom contacted me privately, for taking the time with me, sharing their observations, and discussing these rather unique little coaches: I may own one someday. Just not Sams.

The Holy Grail for me has always been 30ft: If I could find a 30ft Crown as the platform for my "motorhome" I'd be all over it.

Bottom Line the Gillig is a Blank canvas: A solid platform. I will not have to go in and figure anything out: Everything will be New, and every design will emanate from me with my wants and needs in mind: And Let the guy who owns it after me try to figure out what the Hell I was thinking..............Aloha.............Moki deadhorse PS: I neglected to mention that this Gillig was purchased directly from the Transit Authority: I am into my "motorhome" project $1800.00......I dare say the tires, and the Alcoa's are worth more than that. confusion

https://www.facebook.com/media...2124313912450&type=1

posted Hide Post
head bang My intentions surely are not to Flame Sam's Coach. I think it has been established by others that it would be preposterous to expect a "turn key" Coach.

I think Sam's Coach is rare and remarkable. If one were set on having a Barthmobile, considering the scarcity of this Model, possibly a one-off, It's a fantastic candidate.

I'm 4000 miles away from this Coach: It doesn't work for me.

As far as my post is concerned, it can be done with as it may: My principle interest, Kevin, you included was simply to thank those who gave their valued input, and helped me a long to make a fairly informed decision based on my personal circumstances as well as the qualities of the Coach in question. The availability of Sam's Coach has/is not predicated on anything I've said or haven't said.

So I am out on this topic with thanks, again, to all who brought me their input, and I wish each of you the greatest of joy in your respective models............Happy Trails.........Aloha Moki

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
As a former owner of a converted bus (ex Trailways) with nearly 1 Million miles on it I know quiet a bit about conversions. Good ones are not cheap, endless hours of work and money (70,000 Dollars and more). A transit bus makes a very poor platform due the lack of basement storage you need for plumbing, tanks, genset and STORAGE.
Taking out 75 plus seats is hard work, time consuming.Do your windows open? Screened? How do you skin over windows? Wiring, plumbing, A/C Heating etc.
Yes you can put a house recliner, stove and a matress in there and call it a motorhome, but to do a proper conversion with value - good luck and plenty moola.
Just my few cents.
Bus conversions are a hobby by themselves. Very work intense. Worth it, but you are not camping within a week.

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree with most of what you say not all. Agreed. Transits are not the Ideal platform to transform into a House Car: This particular Coach will be designed more as a Studio Apt. Rolling Living Room Entertainment Center. It will be designed for traveling. Island Cook Station: Showering Outside the Coach. Portable AC unit.

Basically, this will be a glorified Mini Van: I currently Own three other Coaches. Two Crowns and a Flxible Flxiliner: Which will be the object of more "inspired" conversions. Both have Basement Space.

I've done two full ground-up restorations, on two Motor Coaches, and two Full on Conversions, I'm well aware of the Fun involved. And believe it or not, for me it is fun............I find you're dollar figures to be over inflated: I'd expect to pay that kind of money if I sat back on the couch, and watched someone else do "my" conversion while sipping a nice dry Martini.

I've built houses, I weld, among other things, and quite frankly enjoy the "work". It's part of the fun of getting there. I also like nice things, done exactly the way I want them. We each have our own "desires" our own "vision".

This little Coach will be used primarily in the Coastal regions of California, Oregon, Washington.. For me and my Dog. Basic amenities, shelter from the storm, and mobility: Access to the smaller state parks, ease of driving in City Centers Parking etc. A rather unambitious, if you will, conversion: Just a nice safe over-sized rather economical Station Wagon, that beats the Hell out of a tent. Moki

Thanks for your comments though: I'm glad there's folks out there who'd like to save me from my self...............

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SamSimmons:
1988 Barth Class A Regency Motorhome, 30' long, diesel pusher has an 8.3 lt. Cummins engine with 70,000 mi on it. Interior is cherry and furniture is ultra leather and leather. Refrigerator is new...$16,500. Call 901-409-3123
HAS BEEN SOLD....thanks

Posts: 4 | Location: Eads,Tennessee | Member Since: 09-27-2013Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Groupee doesn't enable that.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Report This Post