Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

The trip to Arizona
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted
We were supposed to leave a week ago today but the weather turned bad and we didn't get the big wheels on the highway 'til Thursday Dec 16. Crossing the border at Buffalo NY was a breeze and we made it to Cincinnati that afternoon, ...almost! A few weeks before departure we had the dash heater/ac unit rebuilt and a new heater core made and installed since it had developed a leak. It blew out again on I 71 at Kings Island near Cinci. We made it off the hwy and into a strip mall before the temps got over 210 and as luck would have it the corner store sold 50/50 premix antifreeze. I turned off the taps to the heater and after she had an hour to cool down added 4 gal of premix and a part jug of straight prestone and we were off again before dark. Ran the front furnace to keep warm.

Tom K. ... guess I shouldda just came to Houston and bought the stuff needed to copy your solution!

The FMCA head office is off I 275 in Cinci and has free full hook ups in their parking lot for members so we stayed the nite. There was 4" of new snow and the only way to tell where the sites were was to find the power posts. 'Course all we could use was the 50 amp and there was only one other coach parked up.
There was snow on the ground all the way to Nashville the next day, then we raced across I 40 to Tom Sawyer RV in West Memphis Arkansas for Friday nite. Nice clean park to overnite in.
On to Cooper Lake State Park for Saturday nite in Sulphur Springs Texas. This is a favourite of ours, It has two parts on either side of the lake and we've stayed in both units. Mostly empty this time of the year except for the 4 deer standing around in our pull-thru when we arrived. I de-winterized and got the water system up and running while we were here ... all that for $16 yea!
We drove I 30 right thru downtown Dallas and Ft Worth since it was Sunday morning, ... no traffic!
Across Texas on I 20 to Sweetwater, then hopped up to Snyder on Rt 180 and stopped at the Beacon Motel and RV. This old place has 5 rv sites and no washrooms .. so be advised we aren't recommending it. We got the last site with power for $20 when we rolled in around 3:30pm yesterday.
It's supposed to be near 80 degrees today and we are heading over thru Carlsbad NM then down 62/180 to El Paso and west on I 10.
I haven't bothered to look at the "new" blown heater core since it is so inaccessible so maybe there is faint hope it is only a blown hose or clamp that wasn't tightened, but that can wait 'til later. We have a grandson, daughter and son-in-law to do Christmas with in Phoenix so ... ARIZONA HERE WE COME!!!
Cheers
Don and Patty ... we keep looking, but haven't seen another Barth on the road yet.

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
Backed in against the desert at Pioneer RV in Anthem Arizona. We have been blamed for bringing the rain with us, but really it was brought here by some folks from California.
We stayed in Deming NM on Monday nite at Little Vinyard RV. Easy on/off the I 10 and they have an indoor heated pool and spa. Got off the interstate at Lordsburg NM and took RT 70 up to Safford and Globe then 60 down to Apache Junction and the 202/101/I 17 to Anthem yesterday. Great way to beat the Phoenix traffic but the grades were pretty steep in spots.
The Barth's a champ, 2,513 miles from home to here. It's s'pposed to be 74 and sunny on Christmas day!!
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.
Don and Patty

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post