Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Disney Trip
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Chris
posted
We just returned from Disney World. Staying in Fort Wilderness Campground is, for us, a great experience. We roughed it with the 'basic' Disney Dining Plan. We plan to return in July possibly and and from Oct. 29 or 30 through the middle to the end of the following week and then again for the first week of February. So, I would love to here from those who have been to Disney World and have ideas, tips or suggestions.

(That's it for the thread part, the next part is story time; it's really more for me than you guys)

The drive both ways was uneventful with the exception of an inexperienced driver who made think of my dad. My father was a logger in Washington State in the 30's and 40's and ran heavy equipment as it was developed, all the 'D' series cats, then he became a long distance trucker and later a short hauler. In moving back east, he went to work for Nello Teer, the company out of Durham, NC, now headquartered in Morrisville, NC, and worked for Mr. Teer in the mid to late 60's building highway 95. After my dad passed away in 1992 I met Mr. Teer in Durham in a random encounter and commented to him that my father had worked for him and that my father enjoyed working for him. He asked my father's name and I, of course, prefaced my answer with “of the thousands of employees you have had over the years...” and then told him my dad's name. His reply to me was “your dad is one of a handful of people that I will never forget and one that I think of almost daily, and he is the only employee in that group. He was the best heavy equipment operator and truck driver I have ever known, and I known some of the best.”

My dad's pet peeve was the car driver who comes up to pass and hangs to the back driver's side and never makes the pass, then they will back off, but just behind and then spend miles just to the right off you rear bumper. This makes for a dangerous and taxing situation, which can be topped if and night and/or raining with lights glaring. Anyway, I encouraged him to go around and smiled as I thought of my dad and then Robin, my wife, and my boys sleeping their way back from Disney in the Barth.

Chris Kennedy
1998 M-34XL
Spartin/Cummins 8.3L

Posts: 11 | Location: Carthage, NC | Member Since: 01-06-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
Well, it has been a couple of years, but here goes. As an aside, I will direct you to my post I made a few years back as a new Barth owner.

http://barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6341087061/m/...141018061#3141018061

Now, on to Disney.

I think one of the basic things people do wrong are A: Lack of preparedness and B: Trying to do everything in one day.

There are facets of Disney which MUST be taken at leisure.

Remember, this is your vacation. Don't turn it into a forced march.

Last time we went, my boys and I spent one day in the middle of the trip doing absolutely NOTHING. We rented a golf cart and cruised around ft wilderness. We had a blast. Woke up late, no agenda. Went to the cookout that night at ft wilderness and got to bed early.

There are a TON of things to do, and unless you plan on spending 2.5 weeks, accept the fact that with a weeks time you WILL miss things. Don't worry, it just gives you an excuse to go again Smiler

First off, I plan on breakfast in the coach most mornings. It saves probably $40/day unless you have a meal plan, which you obviously did. We also brought our own drinks and snacks, 'cause I am a cheap bastard. Food is big bucks at Disney, and I tried to economize were possible. I would spend money on premium dinners and at least one character breakfast. The Breakfast at Wilderness Lodge (which is NOT at Ft Wilderness) is worthwhile if your kids are older and not inclined to swoon at the sight of Mickey Mouse.

I like eating at Epcot, since I live in an area of the country (Philadelphia corridor) that is saturated with Italian resturaunts. Therefore, Germany and Norway were favored stops for lunch/dinner. Travel for me means trying different things so eating at USA and China (I don't care how GOOD it is, it is still chinese, which is EVERYWHERE in this country) were forbidden.

Do the top loop of Epcot on one day, and the bottom on another. We at at "the Land" a couple times and liked the food. The seafood place at the Living Sea (?) was closed when we were there, but it got good marks from people who have gone.

Fantasmic show at Disney MGM is pretty cool.

Go to the various parks websites, for featured 'specials' like going in October it is great to do "Mickey's not so scary Halloween" which mean you pay a stipend and re-enter the park after dark. Kids get candy at glowing pumpkins (good candy too, not cheap stuff) and all the rides are open. We did Halloween one year and the Christmas celebration the next. It was worth the price to get short lines on the premium rides. Doing the haunted mansion after dark is pretty cool too.

I never got a bad meal anywhere in Disney, but nothing is cheap. The buffet at Ft Wilderness is probably the BEST deal on the grounds.

I priced the meal plan and passed at the time since I factored that it was more $$$ than it was worth to our family with my kids eating habits.

We are planning on a return this year, but without the barth. We bought an Orlando time share that will probably take the place of long distance Barthing, since gas is so ridiculous.

I never had any problem with Disney transportation, and the boats are a great adventure for kids.

I skipped Animal Kingdom on the second trip. It had one worthwhile ride I thought, although that seems to have changed since I was there.

I would probably leave the park for Universal since I have not been there in eons and my kids have never been.

Have fun on your trip!

Better an ugly Barth, than
a pretty Winnebago.

1987 Barth P-30 with 454
Former Hospital Board Room converted to coach by Barth in 1995.

Posts: 178 | Location: Lancaster, PA USA | Member Since: 07-30-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post