Forums    Barth Journeys    Anybody been to Fallingwater?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Anybody been to Fallingwater?
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted
Our Sept. Barth long weekend will be to southwestern PA to visit Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater home.....There appears to be several state parks & commercial campgrounds in the local area.
Anyone have any recommendations?....

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi, Lee:

I went to see Fallingwater about 12 years ago in mid-October. The trip was beautiful; went with my sister who used to live up near Uniontown, PA. We stopped at Fort Necessity, visited an old church that has breathtaking stained glass windows by Louis Comfort Tiffany, and saw Fallingwater on the way back. The house is worth a visit, but it was much smaller inside that I imagined. Frank Lloyd Wright was a short man and all ego; his feeling was that he would only design space to fit himself so ceilings are rather low. The built-out patios make the house appear bigger than it is.

Unfortunately I can't fill you in on any campgrounds -- we went by car and stayed at a motel. Since the rivers in that area are popular with rafters, there must be campgrounds somewhere.

Good luck, and enjoy the scenery.

------------------
Bev

Posts: 25 | Location: Prince Frederick, MD, USA | Member Since: 08-27-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Fallingwaters is in Mill Run, PA.

There is a Yogi Bear Campground there:
http://www.jellystonemillrun.com

And here are a few more within 15 miles

http://www.riversedgecampground.com/
River's Edge Family Campground
(724) 628-4880
1101 Riveredge Rd
Connellsville, PA 15425

Lost Mountain Campground
(814) 352-7310
195 Lost Mountain Ln
Rockwood, PA 15557

Posey Corner Campground
(814) 926-2040
132 Middlecreek Rd
Rockwood, PA 15557

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ryegal
posted Hide Post
Yesterday the grandson ( Taylor) and I were out in the motorhome. I have a battery problem, I have a short somewhere so I went and got another battery. then we were sitting there and I said anyone want to go camping? Taylor was up in a flash. So in an hour we were on the road we went to Kayak point nice campground and not to far from home and it was great!! I didn't realize how much I've missed camping. Even just overnight it's camping

------------------

Posts: 94 | Location: Seattle,wa,usa | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post