Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Our Maiden Voyage
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/12
Picture of RainCatcher
posted
Karen, Portia and I just got back from our first real vacation in our new coach. Driving out of Seattle we headed for the coast to beat the heat. Tooling Along We spent our first two nights at Devils Lake State Park in Lincoln City to visit old friends.

From there we hopped down to Newport Oregon where we spent a couple more nights for culinary reasons. Besides having great beaches it also has the best seafood restaurant on the coast north of San Francisco.Big Grin If you are ever traveling the Oregon Coast and like great seafood, stop in Newport and try the Local Ocean restaurant. While at your table you can look out and see the boats that caught the fish you are eating.

Our next stop was in Port Orford where I grew-up. We stayed there for a few days, walked the very windy beach while I bored Karen with tales of my youth then drove on down the coast to Crescent City, California then east to Ashland, Oregon the home of Oregon Shakespeare Festival. The Rogue River Valley was having a heat spell and we were very grateful for the coach A/C. We took in a couple of plays, looked at property, visited with friends and headed back over to the coast to escape the heat. We stayed in a great state campground in Brookings, Oregon where we spent the next four days on the beach and lazing around then headed back up the coast for home with one last stop in Newport for another seafood dinner at Local Ocean.

The coach performed well, no problems, though we never want to drive Dead Indian Memorial Road again, and Karen had such a good time she didn’t want to go home. In fact she moved her retirement date up a year to winter 2013 so we could spend more than three weeks at a time traveling sooner.cheers We did not bring our cat on this trip, thinking the coach just wasn’t that big. Then we were shamed at one campground by a couple traveling by motorcycle with their Golden Retriever AND leash-trained cat, towing a tiny trailer that the pets traveled in.

The Boardwalk in Newport across from Local Ocean.

Local Ocean Restaurant.

The Breakwater to Yaquina Bay in Newport.

Looks like good fishing here.

The bridge over Yaquina Bay leaving Newport.

Here is one that didn't make it home.

Here's the beach and the RV park where we stayed in Port Orford, my home town.

Karen, Portia and I at the beach in Port Orford.

Howard Prairie Lake east of Ashland.

Harris Beach Park in Brookings.

"Keep On Truckin"
94 30' Breakaway #3866
5.9 cummins on spartan chassis

Posts: 206 | Location: Seattle | Member Since: 04-22-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Thanks for taking the time to share your journey with those of us who might never see the upper left coast. It looks beautiful. Glad you had such a good time and are stoked for more.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sloop John B
posted Hide Post
And this is why we have a Barth. All who wander are not lost. Tooling Along

JKB

88 28' Regal 454
Blue/Silver metalflake

Posts: 706 | Location: 103 miles west of Milford & 1.75 Miles from Lincoln oasis on I-80 | Member Since: 01-05-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/11
Picture of Jace
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing. Nice coach!

Jace and Pheba

Posts: 12 | Location: Chandler, Texas | Member Since: 07-19-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/16
Picture of Kirk & Elise
posted Hide Post
Awesome photos, looks like it was a nice 'first' journey. Your coach is very nice as well, very much what we hope to aspire to once we've had our feet wet with the shorty gas coach. I especially like the one photo showing Portia - a well behaved, intelligent pooch. Reminded me of my dad's dog and another friend who had two different Dobe's at different times. All long eared.

Thumbs Up

Kirk

1989 22' Regal

Posts: 183 | Location: Northwestern PA | Member Since: 06-14-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RainCatcher
posted Hide Post
quote:
I especially like the one photo showing Portia - a well behaved, intelligent pooch.

As you can probably tell she doesn't get much attention and isn't spoiled. ROTFLMAO

"Keep On Truckin"
94 30' Breakaway #3866

Posts: 206 | Location: Seattle | Member Since: 04-22-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
Nice Pictures! Glad everything went well. Look forward to seeing your further adventures!

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
72081169MC22C
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1385 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
Beautiful area! But wasn't the name "Dead Indian" a hint? Noticed they like them names around there. Hells Canyon, Devils Jump, Deadmans Pass, Coffin Road come in my mind. But you cannot beat that coastline and fresh seafood. Thumbs Up

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a real nice maiden voyage, you have a great lookin coach there, really like the color.

Beautiful pictures, love the mascot.

Posts: 259 | Location: SouthWest MI | Member Since: 08-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/10
Picture of kokoken
posted Hide Post
Neat pics....... never been in that area. Your dog has a very intelligent expression to his face.

Thanks for sharing.

1979 24 footer

Posts: 65 | Location: Indiana | Member Since: 07-28-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RainCatcher
posted Hide Post
quote:
---share your journey with those of us who might never see the upper left coast.

A good reason to have next years GTG somewhere west of the Rockys. Big Grin

"Keep On Truckin"
94 30' Breakaway #3866

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of dustyjeeper
posted Hide Post
Wow
Looks like I need to head a little farther west.

1978 Barth 17' Cabin Fever
1997 Barth 23' 4 door Command Center

Posts: 505 | Location: LaSalle CO | Member Since: 12-05-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post