Forums    Barth Journeys    Hey Nick - Mine's Bigger !!
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Hey Nick - Mine's Bigger !!
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted

DC-GTG, October, 2009.....Nick's BIG Barth and LITTLE Truck.......

Stonewall Jackson Lake, WV, August, 2011....Lee's Little Barth & BIG truck....

Hope this rig can handle a 6 ton Barth Ooops

Reminder to Coach-Net subscribers: Some states and/or tow vendors do not allow double towing i.e.: trailer or toad. Coach-Net covered the Barth haul without question, but
I was responsible for the extra $$ for the trailer tow to the shop....about 40 miles
with a pickup truck - $275..... confusion

I have a hunch my total Barth investment is gonna increase by about 50-60% by the time I get her home....Ugh!

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the breakdown and tow away chapter ... Hate to see that, what happened? Looks like you are in a campground? At least they sent you the nicest tow truck!

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
"Hate to see that, what happened?"

The end product of over-confidence and poor judgement I'm afraid - not my first time, certainly not my last head bang

During my recent overdrive box installation, I noticed some issues with the flex-plate to torque converter bolts - one missing (female threads stripped) and one bolt head sheared off. Didn't feel any vibes or other problems, so I took a couple of local, uneventful trips, planning on a repair during the winter layup.

Last week, full of false confidence, I headed out on a season-ending 270 mile trip to West Virginia for some bass fishing. (Stonewall Jackson State Park/Resort - beautiful place!) The trip involves some 3-5 mile, 6-7% grades. As the trip progressed, 50mph and below brought on a new vibration and distinct growl, but it seemed to dynamically balance itself out at higher speeds on the flatlands/downhill, so Stupid Lee just kept on truckin'.....

Once at the campsite, it appeared I had some minor leakage, based on a light coating on oil on the frame rails, underside & trailer. Inspection revealed I was down to two
flexplate/TC bolts and a wobbly TC. No measurable tranny fluid left, yet good temps all the way there and zero burned smell from the tranny dipstick hmm

Nothing constructive to do right then, so we fished & consumed adult beverages for the next three days. On departure day, Stupid Lee called Coach-Net and requested a service call for a 5 gallon supply of tranny fluid, thinking I could limp home and get the work done at my local shop with known QC. Coach-Net advised that would be no problem, except I needed to know that the fluid delivery call would mean all bets are off on any subsequent tows because they cover only one response per incident. Not wanting to waste my coverage on $50 worth of tranny fluid, I told them to cancel the fluid order and just come-n-get me.

Barth is now at a Mom & Pop tranny shop in Clarksburg WV...not a great confidence builder, but their yard has city trash trucks waiting for work, so maybe I'm at the right place. Hopefully, diagnosis comes today. Best case scenario: new flexplate, TC and TC shaft...also new rear main seal as long as the innards are split apart. Worst case: I toasted it and need to start anew......

Question for the group: The shop is a Jasper rep, so a total swap-out for a Jasper remanufactured TH400 is an option. In surfing the net last night, reviews and postings on Jasper run the gamut from "the ONLY way to go" to "Biggest scam going" and just about everywhere in between.....I would welcome anyone's thoughts or experiences in dealing with the Jasper network....

Could have been worse.....left home in a $6k Barth and came back in a $30k rent-a-car.
FWIW: Stonewall Jackson Lake does contain some nice bass & pike deadhorse

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I considered Jasper for the replacement engine in the Barth, but got the same mixed reviews. I contacted Jasper to find out what they did to the blocks, etc. "Whatever's necessary". They wouldn't discuss what parts they reused nor their sources for new parts.

When I had the master cylinder replced at a large shop in Baltimore, they had a Jasper rebuilt engine thst failed the bench test, and was going back.

I'd call Sun Coast Converters and see if they do TH400s. I had my 4L80E rebuilt and uprated there, and I'm delighted with the results.

Another option would be to ship it to a local (Ft. White, FL) rebuilder, Chris Hunter. I've watched him rebuild (he's been doing trannies for 25 years). He goes through many rolls of paper towels, cleaning his hands between phases. He also checks the directions in each step, even though he could probably do any in his sleep.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:

Barth is now at a Mom & Pop tranny shop in Clarksburg WV...not a great confidence builder, but their yard has city trash trucks waiting for work, so maybe I'm at the right place.

You might be. Trash truck service is the most arduous duty for any transmission. Both because of super frequent starting and stopping necessary for the job, but also because of the constant full-throttle acceleration they are subjected to.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
I give. Yeap yours is bigger but you didn't have as nice of a welcoming committee. cheers

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post