Tools
Reply To This Topic

Hillsborough River State Park
 Login now/Join our community

Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted
Suzy and I will be staying at Hillsborough the weekend of July 28 with some friends who have a new [for them] HI LO. I'll let you all know what I think of this state park, which is near Tampa, Fl.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3482 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Don Scalzo
posted Hide Post
We camped there last weekend with our 2 grandsons from WA. A great park, although the pool was down. Canoe, and bike rentals, a great snack bar & reasonable!

Posts: 196 | Location: Apollo Beach, Fl. USA | Member Since: 10-05-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Hi Don, Sorry to hear the pool is still down. It said so on the site but I hoped it would be up by now. We're bringing the 14' John boat and plan on launching down where the river widens. We're also bringing our anniversary presents to each other, new Schwinn bikes, so we can cover as much territory as possible. If you're really looking for something to do come on by and see us. We'd really like to see you folks again. We'll be in 29 and 30, and Suzy and I will be there till Monday morning.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3482 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Don Scalzo
posted Hide Post
Sorry Danny, but the grandkids had to fly back to WA.. Did you camp yet at Ft. Desota? Linda is itching to go there again.

Posts: 196 | Location: Apollo Beach, Fl. USA | Member Since: 10-05-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
No Don, We haven't been to De Soto yet, but the couple we're going with this weekend have tent camped there many times and now with their new HiLo they want to get back too. Maybe towards the end of October would be a good time. I'll let you know when we have some real plans. With no work to do on the Barth, it's not hard to twist our arms when it comes to camping.

79 Barth Classic

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Scalzo:
Did you camp yet at Ft. Desota? Linda is itching to go there again.

We were itching for some time after our last visit there. Frowner

Next time, it's long pants with rubber banded cuffs for off-trail walking.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Yeah bill, Camping in Florida can introduce you a lot of new adventures. We don't have a lock on the skeeter-fly market, but some of our parks are famous for ticks, noseeums, and various other small critters, as well as some larger ones that can get your attention. We had a coon rip a hole in our tent and steal our bread while we were sleeping, and a bunch of wild hogs attacked some picnikers at Cayo Costa last week! As far as the bugs, we always have been fans of Skinsosoft and now OFF has a product that is the same but with something added called Skinsations. We also use a soap from a homemade soap maker that works well but I don't know how to tell you how to get it. Check a local craft show, that's how we found it.

79 Barth Classic

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Danny,

Ya ever spend any time at Highlands Hammock State Park, just west of Sebring?.....We stayed there for the races years ago, and except for the 'gator growling, it was about the most peaceful place on the planet! (Ya need your Deep Woods OFF though.......)

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Lee, Highland Hammocks is on our short list for the fall and winter, or maybe for the 12 hours next spring. We know several people who have camped there and they all say it's beautiful. We've had a ton of rain this spring-summer so the bugs are a daily ritual no matter where you are. I would recommend a screen room at the very least for anyone thinking of a Florida park the rest of this year. You won't be able to sit outside your coach without one.

79 Barth Classic

Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
We did the weekend at Hillsborough and had a ball. Friday afternoon wasn't the best time to be traveling but after rescuing our fellow campers on I 75 we made it to the park about nightfall, and everything was fine from then on. Two things about this park; you must rent a canoe and get it for at least the 4 hour rate. [20 bucks]. The river is slow and easy and not hard to get back up. We went upsteam from the rental place to the rapids, which is as far as you can go that way, then down past our campsite a ways, and had no trouble paddling back up to the rental place. Caught a 6 pound bass along the way, a new record for me! Also, a bicycle is a must if you are a capable rider. The trails along the river are all open to bikes, but of course walkers have the right of way, and you can cover tons of scenery in a day just slow peddling along. BTW, it's much easier early in the day, as the bridges get very narrow and hard to maneuver a bicycle over past 5 PM. Suzy and I spent a very enjoyable Sunday evening with Don and Linda Scalzo swapping tales and having a few cold drinks and meeting the kids. The pool was still closed due to a watermain sewage problem, and there was no ice available for the same reason. I thought they could have trucked in ice for the weekend but I guess if they can't make all the money they won't make any. Still, a very nice park, 22 bucks a night, 40 foot max, lots to do, great restroom shower facilities, easy access dump station, and ten easy miles from I75, just north of I4. Enough ramblin, if you have any questions just ask, Later.

79 Barth Classic

Picture of Don Scalzo
posted Hide Post
Ditto on all Danny posted! Seniors 1/2 price, areal value. The grandkids spotted a deer, a turkey, armadillos, and many gators. It is great to run into other Barthers.
Florida now has WiFi at some reststops I hope they soon put it in at campgrounds. Would it be too bold to suggest Walmart install WiFi?

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
The pool was still closed due to a watermain sewage problem, and there was no ice available for the same reason.

Danny, Read this out loud a couple of times...maybe you want to reword it? Smiler

Glad a good time was had by all.........

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
OK Lee, There was a water main leak that caused sewage contamination of the fresh water system, which is the source for the water both in the pool and the ice maker in the park, raising bacterial counts to unacceptable levels for ice making or swimming. The water in the campgroud was supposed to be safe but they recommended boiling for drinking or cooking. I was hooked up but didn't fill from that source. I still might run a little chlorine through the system. What do you think?

79 Barth Classic