Forums    Barth Journeys    Rolling along.....
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Rolling along.....
 Login now/Join our community

"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted Hide Post
SUGAR,
something i and probably others would be interested in knowing if you are tracking and willing to share would be the expenses for the total trip. always a consideration for lots of us. many thanks for your posts on your great adventure. thanks
mike

------------------
mike foster
83-35' regency 8.2 detroit towing 98 cherokee classic 4x4

Posts: 149 | Location: earlham,iowa-usa | Member Since: 01-08-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
Picture of GaryG
posted Hide Post
Ironsides, yes, we are keeping all receipts. I won't let Gary total them because I still have things I want to do and buy. We have found that in this area of Mexico (relatively non-touristy) it's fairly inexpensive. For example, we went to a huge chain grocery store in Equinapas (the big city for this area) and spent 215 pesos, ($19.00) and the same thing would have cost probably twice that in the US. (yes, Virginia, even in Grove, Ok) Gas is maybe a little more expensive, but not much. I have a hunch that as we head south (towards PV) the prices will be higher.

Thanks to Dave, I have figured out how to get my pics online. I originally posted them in the General info forum but Gary has told me I should put them in the Travel section. Who knew?? Enjoy. Susie

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4288304749

------------------
Susie and Gary (SUGAR)
'95 Barth Regency 34'
'96 Explorer

Posts: 109 | Location: Abiquiu, NM | Member Since: 05-20-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GaryG
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth, this campground is
$15 per night, $100 per week and $300 per month. Farther south will probably be a bit more.

------------------
Susie and Gary (SUGAR)
'95 Barth Regency 34'
'96 Explorer

Posts: 109 | Location: Abiquiu, NM | Member Since: 05-20-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GaryG
posted Hide Post
Moved a little farther south yesterday (12/18) and found a spot to park overlooking the ocean at
Playa Amor, just south of San Blas. Pulled in and took out an overhead wire that was too low but local guy told me to go ahead so at least it was shared responsibility. Always check first, right?
Then two young brothers came up, offered to wash both coach and toad for about 12 bucks.
Right on! They did a great job, including roof, awnings, wheels, etc., so were shiny clean no and ready for the next leg of our journey. Almost everyone here, eight other units, save one, are Canadians! Do they know something folks from the US don't? The only people we've seen thus far from just north of the border are a few Californians. Regards to all,

------------------
Susie and Gary (SUGAR)
'95 Barth Regency 34'
'96 Explorer

Picture of GaryG
posted Hide Post
Sorry, meant the previous post about a parking spot to go here and submitted a new thread but back to latest report from south of the border.
Yes, George, propane is available in many forms from truck that comes around to fill our tank, to places to go to get tank replenished (like the US) to the canisters, to the small ones that fit on the camp stove. Our tank holds 47 gallons so we are only down to half after a month on the road. If electricity is questionable in a campground, we leave our refrig unplugged and on propane but here, elec seems just fine all around.
In fact, anything is available that you need and the fruits and vegetables seem fresher and tastier. For those with any other questions or concerns, let us know. We still think Terry Church's book, Camping in Mexico is one of the best sources as we have used it extensively on this sojourn. It's another beautiful day in our little "paradise" and we are enjoying local sights and sounds and culture.Two neighbors went fishing yesterday and caught a tuna and a dorado so there was a big fish taco party just before sunset yesterday,
Those who have been coming here many years have tried a lot of different winter spots and have "ended up" here year after year, primarily because of weather, cost, etc. We had some connection problems with satellite but it was probably the palm trees interering with line of sight. The days seem to speed by without doing much other than enjoying every moment to the fullest. Susie will send some more pictures soon for those interested. Regards to all

------------------
Susie and Gary (SUGAR)
'95 Barth Regency 34'
'96 Explorer

Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post

Hey Sugar's,

Bought myself the Church book for Christmas and was up till 2;00AM reading and dreaming. Lots of info on potential electrical problems. Are you guys carrying the various surge protectors and other test gear they recommend. And, does your Data-storm run on 120 v. Do you think that had anything to do with your failure.

Minnesota weather, cold, overcast, rainy, ugly, brown, muddy, depressing, makes my knees hurt, I walk like a penguin, where did I put that Zoloft?

I am developing an awesome fantasy world because of your travelogue, keep it up. And, I want more pictures Susan...

------------------
Opportunity always knocks at the least opportune moment.

1985 28 foot Regal
Dave and Deb Bowers

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited December 28, 2003).]

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Wow, I have been tracking your route with the Church book and you guys are a full 1000 miles into Mexico. That was something when I realized that you weren't 10 miles south of Nogales.

Wow

------------------
Opportunity always knocks at the least opportune moment.

1985 28 foot Regal
Dave and Deb Bowers

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GaryG
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Dave. We'll try to steer you and everyone else in the right direction.......southward ho!
Check out www.beachfrontmexico.com which is our next door neighbor. You're right. We're a ways down, about 15 miles north of Puerto Vallarta but our satellite problem is probably due to waving palm fronds as I am writing this from our parking spot right now. We have both surge protectors and a great gizmo called AC Power Line Monitor that both checks the outlets first for wiring condition and then monitors the voltage which is fairly steady here at 120V. Some other campgrounds are not as reliable as you will see in one of my earlier posts. Agreed 100% on two way radios for all kinds of use including reverse into a tight spot when camera doesn't show close up. Great interest in the Barth here! Another no longer made brand we visited yesterday across the way is a 36' Hawkins Motor Coach also made Eurosport. Appeared to be high quality and great layout. Cheers and Happy New Year to all.

------------------
Susie and Gary (SUGAR)
'95 Barth Regency 34'
'96 Explorer

Picture of GaryG
posted Hide Post
Well, so it wasn't Eurosport. It was Aerosport. Sorry! This campground (Bucerias Trailer Park, listed in Church's book) is now filled to the brim with every spot taken (about 40) and some of these folks stay here for three months! We can see why from some perspectives - weather especially, ocean beach just outside, sound of surf, great local cuisine, near but not in Puerto Vallarta, etc.....
It is probably the most expensive campground in Mexico so not the bargain that many others are.
Expensive is 270 pesos per night or $24.00 USD at today's exchange rate. There are, like many other places here, many Canadians in residence.
I just saw La Paz, Mexico listed as one of Money Magazine's top ten places to retire. It is about 90 miles from Cabo on Baja, across the Sea of Cortez. Some folks here have been all over MX including Baja and prefer this location.
We're not "rolling along" just now since we've been here for three weeks and will stay on for another two or three before heading north. Thought maybe some of you would like this update. Happy New Year and thanks Dave, for another great year of service on Barthmobile.com.

------------------
Susie and Gary (SUGAR)
'95 Barth Regency 34'
'96 Explorer