Forums    Barth Journeys    Rolling along.....
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Rolling along.....
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
Picture of GaryG
posted
We set off from Tulsa on 11/22 heading for San Diego. First night in Tucumcari, NM. Next day encountered 60-70 mph gusts of wind near Galllup, New Mexico, had to pull off the road and take cover for a couple of hours until it blew over. Made it to Phoenix and spent two nights in a large, mostly permanent winter resident campground in Mesa. Not recommended but it was OK. Then to San Diego. Parked SUGAR at Campland for $5 per day while staying on the beaach with extended family of 20.
No mechanical problems on entire trip thus far.. Sunday after Thanksgiving headed back toward Phoenix and some work so found a camground in the city, Covered Wagon, and although very near I-17 and somewhat noisy, another OK place. Visited Camping World for a few minor things like spare bulbs, water filter, etc....Boring road trip except for great scenery in the Southwest desert. Headed now for Goliad, Texas via El Paso. Then headed to Mexico for a month and will report back here later. Best to all....

------------------
Susie and Gary (SUGAR)
'95 Barth Regency 34'
'96 Explorer

Posts: 109 | Location: Abiquiu, NM | Member Since: 05-20-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GaryG
posted Hide Post
Should probably report this under tech, but it's part of this trip, so here goes. Left Deming, NM and headed for Texas. All going well, washed off the accumulated dirt in El Paso and headed across west Texas and suddenly began to lose power on acceleration, especially hills where she downshifted to 3rd gear to make it up some relatively minor grades. Couldn't figure as she had negotiated the CA mountains outside of San Diego just fine. Limped to San Antonio having spent the night in Junction, TX to a Cummins dealer. Quick fix! Tube had come loose to turbocharger so in calling for more fuel, couldn't get it.. Then had a weird experience with the toad. Auto locks went crazy, wouldn't stop operating. After 2 hours in a great shop called Alamo Heights Garage, they found a chair leaning against the lock in the rear compartment of the Explorer! Yuck! So we headed on to Goliad and a great state park with 50 amp. Good thing! Colder than Billy B. Jeezus here. Stay tuned...

------------------
Susie and Gary (SUGAR)
'95 Barth Regency 34'
'96 Explorer

Posts: 109 | Location: Abiquiu, NM | Member Since: 05-20-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post

Gary and Susan, we are watching and reading and pretending we are right there with you. And, boy are you being watched over. Just think, two instances where big things could have happened, they both turned into parts of the memory and especially humorous ones at that. Don't think for a second that the chair against the door thing won't be brought up around the campfire for quite a while.

It is 30 degrees and gray here in Minneapolis today. And, I just know that it is 75 and bright sunny where ever you are and I can feel "your" warm sun on "my" shoulders.

God bless and continued pleasant journeys,

Dave and Deb

------------------
Opportunity always knocks at the least opportune moment.

1985 28 foot Regal
Dave and Deb Bowers

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited December 07, 2003).]

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GaryG
posted Hide Post
thanks, Dave. I had a couple of days work in Atlanta, returned to Corpus Christi where S had driven from Goliad and we left the Greyhound RV park in CC yesterday morning headed for Laredo. Arrived fine with only one wrong turn, checked in at Sanborns to pick up insurance forms and get ready to cross this morning. Spent last night in a wonderful state park outside Laredo called Casa Blanca. Highly recommended. Then drove north to cross at Columbia, NOT Laredo and hardly a soul there which is why the Columbia crossing is recommended by seasoned RV'ers.. Paperwork took about an hour and then on our way. Tonight we're in Saltillo, the ONLY one parked in the hotel park especially for RV's.
Only 110 plus water and sewer. For anyone contemplating Mexico get Church's book called Mexican Camping. We found this stop in their very helpful book full of good info.
Weather - let's just say ideal for December 11 - 70 degrees and clear. Tomorrow we head toward the west coast north of Puerta Vallarta.
Mexico thus far has been welcoming, friendly and we speak but few words of Spanish! Some would call us courageous but most think us a little foolish. But we're loving it.
Best to everyone out there in Barth land. Stay tuned

------------------
Susie and Gary (SUGAR)
'95 Barth Regency 34'
'96 Explorer

Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Gary I don't know who told me, (maybe it was you) that 70 year olds never regret the things they have done. Only the things they have "not done". So here you are down in 'Ol Meheeko. And making memories. Sounds wonderful. Have a tamale on me....

------------------
Opportunity always knocks at the least opportune moment.

1985 28 foot Regal
Dave and Deb Bowers

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill Stevson
posted Hide Post
Dave and Susie, I'm definitely staying tuned and hope you keep us updated on your journey. I just got back last week from a month-long trip through Mexico (in a van, not a Barth) so I'm very interested in hearing about your trip. How do you like those topes? Feliz Viaje, from Bill freezing in the Ozarks!

------------------

Posts: 113 | Location: Macks Creek, MO | Member Since: 11-02-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill Stevson
posted Hide Post
Whoops....I meant Gary & Susie....well, I'm mostly tuned in.....

------------------

Posts: 113 | Location: Macks Creek, MO | Member Since: 11-02-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GaryG
posted Hide Post
Dear Dave, Bill and whoever else may be reading: We will try to post every few days or so but the laid back nature of this place may take its toll on responsiblities, as it should! As you see, we're still connected via satellite but here's the latest and it's a doozie. We left Saltillio and headed for Durango, mostly on a toll road, very expensive but worth it in our opinion to save on repairs later. Spent the night behind another hotel, Motel Campo Mexico but not nearly as nice as the one in Saltillio. Run down, next to a busy, noisy street, etc. but clean. Then we left early yesterday morning (12/13) stopping at a huge Wal-Mart Supercenter to pick up a few items. And we headed up the mountains toward Mazatlan.
Whoa! They didn't name Sierra Madre the Mother Range for nothing. It was treacherous, hairy and took 7 hours to go 198 miles, hairpin turns, bad roads, steep inclines, big trucks and fast buses. But our Barth performed flawlessly. Thank God for a Pac Brake and plenty of power. We came to rest on a pristine beach just southwest of Escuinapa de Hildago. Don't tell anyone! It is absolutely private, 30 amp service that's fine and we are parked looking out at the Pacific with a cement patio and 45 feet from the surf. It lulled us to sleep last night. Three others in an RV park adjacent to a coconut grove where there are spaces for 80!
Small fishing village not far away for fresh supplies. Plans are to stay another day, explore further south and then probably come back and park here for at least a week or more. Any questions? How about a small Barth tour down this way next year?

------------------
Susie and Gary (SUGAR)
'95 Barth Regency 34'
'96 Explorer

posted Hide Post
STOP IT!!!!! I'm siting here looking at overcast grey skies, 34 degrees and traffic!

I suspect that I am just one of many who are enjoying your trip reports. Keep it going please.

Posts: 283 | Location: Huntsville, AL USA | Member Since: 11-13-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ron, you are right. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH, but I too enjoy the fact that the SUGAR'S are living it up. They say "IF YOU CAN'T WHIP THEM, JOIN THEM" Wish we could. Dale and Sharon

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
If I hold up a picture of a mountain in front of my Barth, you can see the gas gauge go down.

I am going to show it a copy of your picture and see if anything happens.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That would be the ultimate journey for me. Shoot, I'm going along and not even having to buy gas Dale. This is the way to travel.

LOL, Bill you got that right! However, the guy who installed my FlowMasters for me suggested that I take along an Arkansas credit card and a 5-gal bucket just in case I have to drain off extra fuel to keep the tanks from overflowing with my increased effeciency. :-)

Posts: 283 | Location: Huntsville, AL USA | Member Since: 11-13-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ron, being the nice guy you are, why not invite bill h. to follow along behind you with the siphon hose from your Barth to his? You will both go free. But watch for the POLICE cause in most states that's a SICK BIRD, ill eagle.

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
talk about a sick bird. i'm as green as the barthmobile.com background (with envy) reading these posts from gary and susie. keep um comming thou cause our weather isn't much better than dave and debs. yuk! and it gives us something to look forward to someday.
p.s. i have both church books on mexice and they are good.
have fun for all of us.
mike

------------------
mike foster
83-35' regency 8.2 detroit towing 98 cherokee classic 4x4

Posts: 149 | Location: earlham,iowa-usa | Member Since: 01-08-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GaryG
posted Hide Post
We'll try to post here every few days or so to keep up with the latest. We've parked here at Rancho de Angeles near Teacapan for a week, literally ten steps from the sandy beach. We pulled in so we have a front view of sand and surf, and the dophins too. If there are five others who want to invest in a place in need of some TLC this could be a VERY special place. It's a bit run down as the current owners haven't put much into it the past ten years. Showers/toilets need repair allthough they work. You can see this place has lots of potential. Paved driveway parking spots to avoid soft sand, some paved patios, 40 ocean front parking spots, 20 others one row back and only total of seven units camped here now, mostly Canadians. It is one of the best spots for a view and proximity to ocean we've ever seen. Undertow can make swimming difficult, even dangerous. Haven't seen any man 'o war but here they're around from time to time. Shrimp boats fishing just off shore.
Had to fix a broken ground wire at the pedestal so we didn't get shocked opening the door. Water pressure is low and some sediment but we use a bit of clorox for purification and an extra under sink filter for drinking/cooking. We don't use directly from CG source but only from fresh water tanks on board. We will have to flush tanks later. We also use bottled water. We're able to communicate via satellite and I answered that question for Shadow Man Ed under the Tech thread here. Any other questions will be gladly received. We head south in a day or two to explore other sites and will report in here with what we find for those interested.

------------------
Susie and Gary (SUGAR)
'95 Barth Regency 34'
'96 Explorer