Tools
Reply To This Topic

Florida Love Bug Alert
 Login now/Join our community

Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted
Returned from Lake O this afternoon to find the current Love bug infestation isn't limited to mid state. They are terrible everywhere down here. This usually only lasts about 3 weeks but if you are traveling through Fla any time soon consider a screen for your grill and a good coat of wax for the front end, and RainX for the windshield, along with a full tank of windshield washer fluid. There are many "home remedies" for prepping a front end, mostly consisting of anything that keeps the bugs from sticking to the finish. Pam, mineral oil, vasaline, etc. just make sure the cure isn't more damaging than the problem.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Ain't we just the luckiest folks? Lovebugs aren't yet too bad up in my neck of FL, but Danny's hints are important.

I use NuFinish on the painted areas and Rain-X on the glass. Both make removal of lovebugs easier than not.

The trick to lovebug removal is getting them as soon as you can, and using lots of water.

For those of you in the Great White North, lovebugs are called that because you don't just hit one - you hit a breeding pair - actually you'll hit hundreds of breeding pairs if you hit a flock. They are basically harmless, feeding off decaying vegetation, but they leave a waxy residue, and are among the hardest bug carcasses to remove.

BTW, the legend that they were genetically created in the labs of the University of Florida are just that: Legend. Not fact.

Curious? See here.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Love bugs on the small end, palmetto bugs (giant cockroaches) on the big end. Jeez, we don't even have mosquitoes up here.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
2 or 3 winters ago in Yuma we had enough rain that the desert flowers bloomed.... and millions of Painted Lady butterflies hatched and started migrating. You couldn't drive more than a couple of miles without killing dozens if not hundreds of them. This winter i don't think i saw a dozen total the whole time we were there.

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Had a friend drive to Mississippi this week and he said the love bugs were terrible from north Florida to Mississipi, the worst being 55 north from I 10. They're just starting to show up down here so the next 2 weeks could get pretty bad. Guess I'll have to wax up the nose of the Euro for Talledega next week.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
Lovebugs made it to Savannah GA too. Good news: the constant rain washes most down before they hit your car

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Although this post was from 2007, it's quite relevant right now too. If you're traveling in Florida be sure to apply a good coat of wax to the front end, and if possible install a screen over any front end openings. RainX helps make the windshield easier to clean. The general consensus down here for cleaning them off seems to be putting wet towels over them for 20 minutes or so, then wash them away. Always do it as soon as you can, the longer they are on the paint the more damage they do.

79 Barth Classic