Forums    Barth Journeys    Beware of the Turd Fairy!
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Beware of the Turd Fairy!
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted
A visit from the Turd Fairy

All Barth owners know about the Turd Fairy. She’s like the Gremlins during WWII. She taps you with her magic turd and your whole campout turns to shit. Let me tell you about her recent visit.

We needed a few days off and so we brought the Barth in 2 weeks ago to have its spring checkup and new tires (ouch!). Unfortunately, it took two weeks to get ‘er done so we missed the beautiful weather last weekend

The morning we planned to leave on a three-day campout, they called to say it was ready. I drove over in the pouring rain to get the coach. They told me my spare keys were on the drivers seat and I jumped in to head home. When I got there, no keys! I called the mechanic and he swore the keys were there. I also swore, but just a little. After all, I can make new keys and I do have a spare set.

But wait, it gets better.

I drove the Barth home and it ran great! We loaded it and drove to a very swanky RV park near Foxboro MA in the cold pouring rain. But the Turd Fairy was waiting! I hooked up the water hose, turned the water on and flooded the kitchen due to a couple of bad connecters I had installed during the winter.

I swore a little more.

As I stood there, I noticed my glasses were covered with water from the man made geyser under my sink. I removed them to dry the lenses. The frames broke. Being an ex-boy scout, I was prepared; I grabbed my spare glasses only to find a screw missing! Wearing my wife’s spare glasses and squinting a lot, I tried to repair them. The screw was stripped. I threw the glasses across the coach.

I swore even more.

But the Turd Fairy was not counting on my penchant for redundancy. I found my back up, back up glasses. I then super glued my original glasses so that I can at least see. But when I went to back my wife’s car off the trailer, I forgot to unplug the electric cord and snapped all four wires!

I invented some new swear words and recited them several times so that I would never forget them.

That night, in an attempt to restore my blood pressure, my wife made a wonderful Mexican dinner. As I reached for the Mexican cheese, I failed to notice the hole in the bottom of the bag and covered the dog with about 2 cups of shredded cheese.

I recited ever swear I know; my wife looked away; the dog looked up and wondered what she did to deserve a shower of cheese as she cleaned it up.

Beware, the Turd Fairy! She can ruin a perfectly good camping trip.

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
I am sure that many have been visited by the "turd fairy". I know I have been visited by her many different times although not all at once like she visited you.

Maybe she is through with you for the summer and you will have trouble free camping all summer.

Mary

Don't mess with us old folks, we don't get old by being stupid!
1968 Barth trailer, 1975 Barth Motorhome and 1985 Barth Motorhome

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
The following is from http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums

Yanqui67 From Puerto Rico, joined Jan 2005, 505 posts, RR: 4
Posted Thu Apr 10 2008 04:31:42 your local time (5 years 4 days 18 hours ago) and read 5044 times:

Murphy's Laws for Aircraft Maintenance
1. You cannot fix everything, even though you think you can.
2. You do not know everything, even though you think you do.
3. No 2 mechanics will ever agree on the same fix.
4. One mechanic's fix is always better than the one accomplished.
5. If you fix too much, you will be laid off.
6. If you don't fix enough, you will be laid off.
7. Blaming other shifts is always acceptable.
8. Electrons are magic to sheet metal mechanics.
9. Rivets are like kryptonite to avionic mechanics.
10. If you don't know what you are doing, read the maintenance manual for the rest of your shift.
11. Asking for help means you're an idiot.
12. Not asking for help means you're an idiot.
13. Every airline thinks it has the greatest maintenance (they don't).
14. Every crew thinks that it is the greatest crew (they're not).
15 Every mechanic thinks they are the best (they're wrong).
16. Every airline has a mechanic that was fired for making a titanium "tote tray".
17. Everyone in the company does not like you.
18. Everyone in the company is trying to get rid of you.
19. There is always a later revision to any A.D., E.A., E.R.A., E.O. than the one you are currently accomplishing.
20. If it's not broke you cannot fix it, but it's easier to say you fixed it anyway.
21. You are not an inspector, even if you perform inspections, only the F.A.A. inspects, we'll just refer to them as GOD,(or at least in their minds).
22. Be happy you have a job!!!!!
23. Being happy you have a job does not require you to be happy on the job.
24. The Maintenance Manual is your best friend, a best friend that will sleep with your spouse!!
25. If a passenger can't break it , the flight attendant will find a way.
26. If you can't move something but try to, you will draw a crowd.
27. "That's what I would have done" is always the response when a difficult fix is confirmed.
28. Manuals are written for a 9th grade reading level, but you better have a P.H.D. to understand them.
29. You are not a lawyer, if you were smart enough, you would have went to law school.
30. All mechanics think they could fly if necessary, and should be getting paid what the pilots get paid!!
This is meant to be funny, if you don't relate to at least one law and laugh, go to the tool room and check out a sense of humor meathead! Author: Ord Yes, I know there may be something out there like this, but I wrote these when I was drunk.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
31. Murphy was an optimist
32. No good deed goes unpunished
33. If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
1A. Wort's Corollary to Murphy's Law: No device will operate more closely to design specifications than when the repair technician operates it to diagnose the problem.

And for those who like to reminisce, the original Murphy's Law:

"If an aircraft part can be installed incorrectly, someone will do it"

The good news in all of this is that everything that happened, happened while parked.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
ROTFLMAO Sorry

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
After shoveling snow off Barth 3 times, to changing alternator, to changing distributor, she tried to follow me all the way to Florida! wack

It seems she found you now... run away while you can!

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5181 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard_Muise:
A visit from the Turd Fairy

All Barth owners know about the Turd Fairy. She’s like the Gremlins during WWII. She taps you with her magic turd and your whole campout turns to shit. Let me tell you about her recent visit.

Beware, the Turd Fairy! She can ruin a perfectly good camping trip.

quote:
It seems she found you now... run away while you can!

If it weren't for bad luck we'd have no Luck at all???

Things will get better Richard!!

Steve you can run but you can not hide! North-South-East-West-Underground nono Sorry

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1384 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
I was told "Cheer up! things could get worse." So I did; they did! Ooops

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/11
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
OH YEAH! We have all been touch by that evil, twisted wand.
She smiles, taps and spins her twisted sense of humor upon us. While in our happy mind we say with a pleasant smile "what could go wrong, I've planned this for so long"?

I remember blowing up an engine, snapping a stub axel, water flowing under a bathroom cabinet, steps locking down, rear brakes locking up and the list goes on.

May this Turd Fairy depart from the Barthmobilers
and find fun with those that drive a Yugo. By the way maybe that is what happen to the Yugo. ROTFLMAO

Posts: 457 | Location: Port Charlotte Florida USA | Member Since: 06-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 01/08
Picture of Deb&Eds38
posted Hide Post
Jim

Them little turds must like the 35 Regencies. I to lost a motor, two stub axels and one front wheel. I think in my case the turd and I were working together and could blame most of it on operator error.

I just sold the 35 to a gentleman with his own mechanic and a place to fix it. It was a great bus and after 14 years it was time to move up. I am sure he will have great ride when he is finished.

ED.

Posts: 357 | Location: Ortona- Turkey Creek Florida | Member Since: 10-04-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Sometimes the Turd Fairy is outwitted - I took the Barth in today for an oil change, and the mechanic noticed the belt squeaking.

The tensioner spring broke when he retracted it to change the belt (which was OK). Always better at a shop than the side of the road...

Of course, the Turd Fairy's defeat is only temporary. hmm

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Flashback: The Turd Fairy in character...

I left for the Chattanooga GTG Tuesday, 4/2. Had everything done to the Barth except last minute by Sat 3/30. Thought I'd take a rest Sunday, trim toenails, address navel lint, etc. Midway through the afternoon, I kept hearing a faint, abnormal, hissing sound. Finally, I got the idea to check.

I found the downstairs toilet flapper hadn't closed and it was still running. But wait, there's more! The septic line had plugged and the bathroom floor was flooded, and it had migrated to the bedroom. Fortunately, it was only a few clean gallons, and more fortunately, I have a small commercial carpet cleaner and a big wet/dry shop vac, so cleanup was quick and easy. The dehumidifier I got for the clean room at DAV got tested....

Undaunted, the Turd Fairy kicked over the dogs' water bowl at the GTG; while the small carpet cleaner did OK, the dirt the dogs tracked in from the rain made a mess.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
The turd fairy never sleeps...

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5181 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I think she lives in my spare bedroom...

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
Recently the turd fairy took a trip to Reno NV. She literally knocked my legs out from under me. I was walking my dog and seen that nice patch of ground down an embankment. Better than the parking lot. So down I went. The soft ground was slick as ice, my feet went first and I crash landed in the mud. My whole backside from head/hair to ankles was covered in mud. My head hurt, my elbows scraped and I just took a shower before all that. Snoopy was unimpressed by my acrobatics. Doris

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post