Forums    Barth Journeys    Best Aircard in the West?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Best Aircard in the West?
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted
...Getting ready to buy an aircard and plan for my laptop.....Just about anything works in the DC area, but I'd like to get optimum coverage for travels out west too. Any recommendations regarding aircard coverage in the Denver/Salt Lake City/Las Vegas triangle?

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
I believe that Verizon has rolled out EVDO Rev A a bit faster then Sprint. We have Sprint and it works well in the major areas and along most of the the interstates. They are getting better as they continue to upgrade the network with EVDO-A, EVDO-A rivals DSL speeds and in many areas it is faster.

The reason that we went with Sprint vs. Verizon, there were many rumors that Verizon would drop you off if you were doing big downloads and discourage continuous connections. We have never had any issue with Sprint but it will get very slow in the out lying areas where the upgrade to EVDO is not yet done.

We have a router that the wireless card plugs into and maintains the wireless connection and then converts to a WiFi hot spot so any computer with WiFi can be on line, no wires! When we leave the coach, we take the card and plug it into the laptop.

I haven't heard anything good about ATT (Cingular)wireless, we have them for voice and it is not real good.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info Ed!.....We're already a Verizon subscriber at home, so this should be relatively painless.

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post