Tools
Reply To This Topic

our 1st Barth adventure
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted
My wife and I will be flying to Phoenix in a couple of weeks, then going to Prescott to pick up an 85 Regal from Jon Bourke. We're going to take about 2 weeks to come back to North Carolina. Thought about stopping at the Grand Canyon and the Petrified Forrest. Anyone have some thoughts, ideas about places to stay on I-40 from Arizona to NC? We thought we'd drive about 400 miles a day. Would appreciate any advice.
Jim and Tere

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
If you get stuck in Oklahoma City ROCKWELL CAMPGROUND is clean and neat, and right off the interstate just West of town. It isn't a "destination campground" but is okay and where we stay when passing through Indian Territory.

------------------
"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/07
posted Hide Post
It is my understandingthat you can stay the night in any Walmart parking lot.. The price is right (free) and I would think fairly safe and oh yes you can pick up needed supplies and generally there are both fast food joints and resturants in the nearby areas..Just park under the lights and all should be good... This little tidbit was given to me by a guy who goes to Colorado 1 year and then to California the next.. Seems he also drives about 400 miles a day and then pulls into a walmart... stops at a caamp ground every 3rd night or so to empty tanks and take on water.. sounded like a good plan to me...

------------------
John Reilly
Big Times Kennel
Centerville Ohio
If you see this... You found me

Posts: 87 | Location: Centerville, Ohio, USA | Member Since: 09-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
most but not all walmarts....for example you can not stay in the Lake Havasu Az. store's lot, city ordinance against it. They share the parking lot with about 20 other businesses so there is not a lot of room. However 6 miles away is a BLM free dry camping area. Get a Trailer Life directory ,even an old one, if you can and it will have a lot of info on campgrounds along your route. PS. since you are going to be in the area take a side trip to Sedona if you can by car. And maybe Jerome?

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
As Ed says, most, but not all. Walmart sells a directory in their store.

Here is a more complete directory:

http://www.walmartlocator.com/

It is always best to call ahead to be sure. Or check their site before you leave, and make a few calls.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
I hope we will see a bunch of "On the Road Pictures" of your trek home, and read about the whole adventure here!
Good luck and have fun!
Don
quote:
Originally posted by humbojb:
My wife and I will be flying to Phoenix in a couple of weeks, then going to Prescott to pick up an 85 Regal from Jon Bourke. We're going to take about 2 weeks to come back to North Carolina. Thought about stopping at the Grand Canyon and the Petrified Forrest. Anyone have some thoughts, ideas about places to stay on I-40 from Arizona to NC? We thought we'd drive about 400 miles a day. Would appreciate any advice.
Jim and Tere

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill Stevson
posted Hide Post
Jim & Tere,
I drove through the Petrified Forrest and Painted Desert several years ago and it was beautiful especially in the late afternoon as the sun was going down.

Posts: 113 | Location: Macks Creek, MO | Member Since: 11-02-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
"If you get stuck in Oklahoma City ROCKWELL CAMPGROUND..."

Belay that: it is ROCKWELL RV PARK and campground, on Rockwell street in OKC. We'll be there next Monday night (11th) on our annual trek to the mountains.
BTW: 1700 miles from our house to Yellowstone and there are only 8 traffic lights, half being in Concordia, KS (and three turns - left, right, left). Isn't Pres. Eisenhower's Interstate System great?

------------------
"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

[This message has been edited by Gunner (edited April 02, 2005).]

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ryegal
posted Hide Post
That is good advice about Sedona, Hummm there a nice state park at cottonwood Az in between Jerome and Sedona used to be known for birding.

Posts: 94 | Location: Seattle,wa,usa | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Don Scalzo
posted Hide Post
I would strongly recomend visiting
Cody, Wyomin & the Buffalow Bill Museum it's fabulous!! 3 museums for the price of one.

Posts: 196 | Location: Apollo Beach, Fl. USA | Member Since: 10-05-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
Just in case i was not clear about it in my previous post, do not take a motorhome to Jerome.....use a car, you will thank me later. :>) its not as bad as going thru the historic district of Eureka Springs Arkansas....but believe me you don't want to do it.

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post