Tools
Reply To This Topic

Talledega
 Login now/Join our community

Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted
Picking up the Euro with 4 new drive tires this morning, then starting the prep for Dega in 2 weeks. We'll be in the family campground for the weekend. Anybody else going?

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like fun but I am going to the GTG in Oregonia, OH. Maybe someday I will make it to Dega.

Posts: 2 | Location: Obion, TN | Member Since: 02-20-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
I might have made that one too, but we made our plans for Dega a long time ago. Hope you all have a ball in Ohio.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
It is a quiet weekend with nice view of the Little Miami River within a stones throw of the place where we camp. There is a LARGE fire pit and no one around to be disturbed. Also I forgot to mention Live Entertainment.

AND IT IS ALL FREE!!!!!!!!!!

Mary

Don't mess with us old folks, we don't get old by being stupid!
1968 Barth trailer, 1975 Barth Motorhome and 1985 Barth Motorhome

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 01/08
Picture of Deb&Eds38
posted Hide Post
Danny
Watched the truck race this afternoon and it was great. Have a great time and see you in December.

Ed

Posts: 357 | Location: Ortona- Turkey Creek Florida | Member Since: 10-04-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Man, they sure wrecked a lot of cars yesterday! All the way right to the end. Tooling Along

Did Danny and Suzy make it there?

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
We got back home this afternoon [Tues] safe and sound. Great trip, incredible racing, and the monsoon held off till sunday night about 8:00. Lucky us for smart phones, cause we never saw it coming. Had time to furl the awning and close the windows and get everything important inside, then the skies opened up. Woke up Monday morning with the bottom step under water, along with the big rug. Still, we got packed up and hit the road for O'Leno State park, up in Rusty's neck of the woods. We could see that they got hit pretty hard up there but the park is up and running.
The Euro ran pretty good with the exception of the pesky vapor lock, and a gas leak that I mis-diagnosed as the electric fuel pump or one of the hoses connecting it. Turned out to be a return line in the bottom of the frame rail under the pump. Had everything to fix it all with me, and did it at Wind Creek State park in Alabama, one of our favorites anywhere. The only real surprise was losing our sh*t on the way home. The back bracket broke off the holding tank, and by the time we realized something was scraping the ground, the entire tank and 4 days worth of race camping was long behind us. [We didn't go back]. One of the "joys" of owning a 36 year old coach. Hopefully PPL still has the model number from 12 years or so ago.
Our new pup Sammi was so good nobody could believe she was only 10 months old. We never leashed her or tied her up at the track and she never once left our area. One smart dog.
Back home now and preparing for the Man Cup motorcycle drags next month in Valdosta Georgia, then the Hillsborough GTG in December.

79 Barth Classic

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Kind of extreme way to avoid pumpout fees! Take care of tailgaters around you! ROTFLMAO

See you in Dec. Tooling Along

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Danny Z:
Hopefully PPL still has the model number from 12 years or so ago.

I have Prepaid Legal also.(PPL) They are my go to attorneys for any legal matter.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
I might have needed legal assistance if I'd been caught, but PPL in Texas is fixing me up with a new tank. 3 hundred bucks but I just have to suck it up and do it. This one will be installed better than anything else on the coach!

79 Barth Classic

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Seems like vapor lock does us glassnose guys in, I thought the electric pump was the answer but if my 25 is really hot and I slow down or stop, it will lock.

I had better look closely at my holding tank support, sorry for your trouble, but it might save me a similar situation, thanks for the "let us know"!!

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Duane, check the passenger side exhaust doughnut for any leaks. The gas line runs right next to it and the superheated exhaust will vaporize the gas at that point when it sits still in the line for even a few seconds, then when that vapor hits the carb after you get your foot back into it, the engine will do anything from sputter to just quit.

I'm not sure an inspection would have prevented the tank mishap. The all-thread hangers go up through the underfloor and you can't see how they connect up there and this is where it came apart. The new tank will be bolted to the frame cross rails and strapped crosswise to the frame.

79 Barth Classic

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Danny, I just had a new exhaust system installed, but I did remove a very corroded shield that was around the cast manifold, I wonder if that was protecting that gas line and, yes it is pretty close in that area.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Later versions had a recirculating system with a return line. The constant circulation of fuel greatly reduces vapor lock. My 86 had this feature but still used the engine pump in front. Very bad, hot location down there.

When I installed the fuel injection system I eliminated the engine pump. Ran the fuel lines high on the frame away from exhaust. System runs 11-13 psi instead of 4-6 with carb. No more vapor lock ever.

You may have to modify your system to avoid hot spots, etc to get it stable. GM knew about these issues and addressed them in Service Bulletins but in typical GM style they delayed or sometimes never put the changes into production. Vapor lock and hot starter issues were identified by late 70's.

Hey Danny I guess it's finally time to get your "s&&t" together! ROTFLMAO

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
I have been jealous of Steves' conversion to fuel injection, since I read about it. One day I will reroute my fuel and return line away from that hot spot. So many things to do.

The P30 has been around a long time I wonder how truckers put up with this stuff for so long or is it only on motor coach chassis. I still hate P30 engineers.

P30 chassis
350 engine