Forums    Barth Journeys    Bought my first Barth in Fl.
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Bought my first Barth in Fl.
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Hello all! I have already enjoyed your site and community so much that I decided to buy one of these great coaches. My wife (Ceaira) and I (Zak) are in Jacksonville, Fl right now enjoying our Barth that we just purchased. I had some wiring and some quadrajet work right off the bat but I'm not complaining. I have 4 Volvo 240 s that I keep on the road and a vw thing so the Barth is a perfect American addition. Here are some pics from our trip so far, I'm glad to join the community and more excited to have a great new home. Thanks for being here, if not for this community I might be trying to live in a gmc motorhome. So yeah, thanks and glad to meet y'all.
Zak

Posts: 21 | Location: Oak Ridge Tennessee | Member Since: 11-11-2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Alright the uploaded won't work and my photobucket a count is gone. Oh well I will figure it out...

Posts: 21 | Location: Oak Ridge Tennessee | Member Since: 11-11-2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the Forums!

Let us know what Barth you bought.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
Welcome Ceaira and Zak.
You're not unique here in terms of old Volvo and old VW (or old carb and wiring problems).
The forum's search feature will pull up lots of helpful info. Chances are, whatever issues you encounter, somebody else already did.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Zak, we live just down the road in Madisonville. We currently have two Barths, a 85 Regal and a 93 Breakaway. We know more about the Regal but the learning curve on the Breakaway is getting better. Let us know if we can help with anything. Did you get your Barth from someone in Knoxville?
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the warm welcome. I actually purchased this unit here in Jacksonville and am going back to tn today. It is an 85 Regal, 30 foot, gm chassis with the 454. It has 20k original miles, even the original back up camera works. It still needs a lot but I believe it's a great starting point.

Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
20k original miles! Wow! I hadn't seen this on our 'for sale' or 'sightings' forums. How did you come across it?

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mogan David:
Welcome Ceaira and Zak.
You're not unique here in terms of old Volvo and old VW (or old carb and wiring problems).

Hey! Show a little respect! I'm an old VW but not that old! Since when have I been a problem? ROTFLMAO

Welcome to this great support group. Enjoy your Barth! GMCs are cool but limited storage. Try to make it to a GTG if you can you'll see and meet a bunch of interesting folks and their coaches.

Consider the Milford GTG in late May, celebrating 50 years of Barths. We are hoping to get 50 Barths together (or more!) So far we have 38. There is a link in "Community Announcements" Let me know if you're interested in attending, I'll arrange for a site for you. We'd love to see you there.

Meanwhile, we have the GTG in Dec at Hillsborough SP in Florida. I have an extra site reserved which I will hold a few more days. If you can make it on short notice and are interested, let me know, you can have the site.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5166 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sue W
posted Hide Post
Welcome and congratulations on your purchase. Hubby and I are in Knoxville and are first time Barth owners. We have an 88 Regal. Jim and Tere are very helpful and super knowledgeable about the Barth's. We are new to the RV world and to the Barth's. Check out the GTG in May and hopefully plan to attend.

Joe and Sue Weigel
88 Regal

Posts: 17 | Location: Knoxville Tn | Member Since: 04-20-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sloop John B
posted Hide Post
Way to go 2 new Regal owners. Sue and Joe , Ceaira and Zak, you have to try to make it to Milford in 2014, its seeing lots and lots of Barths, the owners and the folks that built them. Yes! that's right the actual people who will come by your work of art and tell you how they welded on it or got stuck under the kitchen sink when they were 9 months pg or why yours has only red wiring in it. Actual stories from 2012 GTG. If you come bring your shopping list of upgrades you want or just replacement parts. There are loads of parts houses, some of the actual companies that made parts for your units, craftsman who can do wood work that is as good as your original cabinetry. The food is great, including Lou's ice cream.

JKB

88 28' Regal 454
Blue/Silver metalflake

Posts: 706 | Location: 103 miles west of Milford & 1.75 Miles from Lincoln oasis on I-80 | Member Since: 01-05-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Call us when you get to Athens, TN exit 56 or Sweetwater, TN exit 60 & we'll meet you. Would love to see the new 2 you purchase. We'll take some pics & try to post. Photobucket is quirky of late.

Tere & Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

posted Hide Post
That was quite a journey! First we lost a day to me and the dog being ill all day sitting in the corner of a Wal-Mart parking lot. Yesterday we were ready to go. After fixing the problems inside the carburetor the problems inside the fuel tank felt like they desrved tome attention. Having a 30 foot vehicle with no tags or brake lights come to a stop wherever it wants is not fun. My wife is great, she tailgated me the whole time so there was no collision or even law enforcement interaction. Blew the lines clear in lake city, fl so I at least made it problem free through Atlanta. Glad it has 4 wheel disk, the volvos have spoiled me. The deteriorated ductwork up front hadmade the experience well ventilated which only became noticable when the sun went down. It became terrible because in tn last night it was 25 degrees. Lights kept burning out too and the colder it got the more my alternator belt wanted to squeal. The accessory battery seems shot, now that I think about it I should have unplugged it and taken the strain off the alternator, assuming that system works.

Jim and Tere, sorry I didn't get the message until this morning but I'm just now getting caught back up.

Anyway, I'm home with my new home on wheels, to give it some well earned doctoring. I will certainly be attempting to make a gtg next year. I will certainly know what I'm looking at more by then, and have something much more appealing myself. I'm still impressed with it, the spotlight works, it has hwh levelers, the orig ice maker and blender are intact, the original ac units work, it still has purple taillights, and a broken but newer norcold fridge. I'm on my way to having a nice home but for now it's good to be back to my conventional bricks-and-mud dwelling.

This trip brings my first questions to the forum though: Is there an access panel to the fuel tank spike? (If not there may be one soon...) Thinking of my batteries, I know the momentary switch above the ignition labeled "aux start" is for starting the engine with both batteries, but what does the switch next to it labeled "access" do?

posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
I got it to work!! I will put some more pics up soon in the right area. Y'all should like my strange driveway.