Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Mississippi River road trip
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Starting October 12, 2017, Tess, and I will leave Bell, Florida and travel to Gulfport to spent the 1st night at the Davis Bayou Campground. This is a 6 1/2 hr drive and the longest one day drive to date in our "95" Regal. We are then going West to the Mississippi, and travel River roads up stream with an end goal of reaching Minnesota. No other reservations have been made and will find a campground each day. ANY SUGGESTED CAMPGROUNDS ALONG THIS ROUTE WOULD BE HELPFUL. Will post along the way with photos and narrative. This is expected to be a 3000+ mile trip that I have been preparing the Barth over the past year for this trip. Over the next week I will be following a checklist of oil, lubrication, and other chassis schedules to prepare for a hopefully mechanically uneventful and safe Journey.

Mitch & Tess
1995 Barth Breakaway? 31ft front entry
9411 3941 31LA 11B
210hp Cummins B5.9 (turbocharged)
Spartan chassis EC2246
Air Suspension/ 4wheel disc brakes
Allison AT542 4 speed
6kw Honda RV6010 gen.

Posts: 22 | Location: Bell, FL | Member Since: 11-11-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 01/08
Picture of Deb&Eds38
posted Hide Post
Have a great trip. Deb and I did a little over 8,000 mile trip this year and had a great time.

Ed

Posts: 357 | Location: Ortona- Turkey Creek Florida | Member Since: 10-04-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, can't wait to make longer trips!

Mitch & Tess
9411 3941 31LA 11B
Spartan chassis EC2246
Allison AT542 4 speed
6kw Honda RV6010 gen.

Posts: 22 | Location: Bell, FL | Member Since: 11-11-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good trip. We've stayed in the EZ Daze RV park in Southaven, MS or Tom Sawyer in West Memphis, several times returning from FL as has a friend. It is just across the river from Memphis. I suggest getting a membership for Good Sam just for the campground discounts and continuous employment for the postal service. I don't find good reviews for the service work and generally the pricing at their stores is not what I have found to be competitive but they are there and occasionally have what you need.
Mapping is generally good and will show campgrounds, amenities and reviews, some better qualified than others. You will get a doorstop book of campgrounds as well which is handy for both planning and re-routing/re-scheduling.
We've stayed in Cape Girardeau and it is an okay way-point don't remember where we stayed.
Tim

Once past St. Louis just past Grafton,IL on the River Road make the bend on the Illinois River and stay at Pere Marquette State Park. This would put you on the wrong side of the River but you could reverse the next day, take the Illinois ferry that you will pass going to PMSP, cross Calhoun County to the bridge over the MS at Louisiana. Calhoun County is quite interesting in topography, it was not covered by the glaciers. This will not delete any views of the MS since none of the roads on the other side run near the river until you get fairly far north on MO 79. The views on 79 from Clarksville to Louisiana are of the river and country similar to the Calhoun. From the Illinois ferry you can cross Calhoun and then cross on the Golden Eagle ferry across the MS and wind your way backcountry or highway to MO 79 North. Be aware some of the small towns have inadequate population to support their police force so 30 means 30 at the sign.

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Mitch, as you get further north and come through Illinois and Iowa switch sides of the river south of the Quad Cites the Iowa side has the best scenery I think as you get north, go to the Illinois side through Savanna, nice State park the Palisades. If you are into wild life stop at all the lock and dams Bald Eagles everywhere. Stop in Clinton Iowa and meet a Glassnose! Good restaurant right on the river Candlelight. Enjoy the trip!

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2045 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
In Keokuk we stayed at Hickory Haven Campground and in Dubuque stayed on the river at Massey Marina (Dubuque County Park). This is a good location to spend an extra day, see both sides of the river learn about the old dam etc. The old town on the other side of the river is interesting but find a parking place and walk, too narrow etc. for coaches to enjoy.
Don't expect to be too leisurely traveling that late to the "frozen nort"

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Check out passport america for campground discounts. A couple of nite stays pays for the membership.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1183 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our reservation at Davis Bayou state park was cancelled due to
damage from Hurricane Nate. Will be looking for reservations elsewhere for Friday night.

Mitch & Tess
9411 3941 31LA 11B
Spartan chassis EC2246
Allison AT542 4 speed
6kw Honda RV6010 gen.