Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Ozark's
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Sloop John B
posted
Ok. We have decided on the fall trip this year. We have gone north south east and west but have never been to the Ozarks. It looks like the fall colors are best late Oct/early Nov. which is when we plan to go. No toad yet but will most likley rent a car for week or so. We have been told Mountian City is a must see area. Any help from members, I know we have in southern Illinois/ St Louis area??? JKB 88 Regal 28' 454

JKB

88 28' Regal 454
Blue/Silver metalflake

Posts: 706 | Location: 103 miles west of Milford & 1.75 Miles from Lincoln oasis on I-80 | Member Since: 01-05-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
John, I don't know if spelunking holds any interests for you, but if you're in the area of the Ozarks Nat'l. Forest, a visit to Blanchard Caverns is worthwhile.....For us, a tour of the caverns beat Mammoth Cave hands down, not to mention some really beautiful country coming & going.......

http://www.fs.fed.us/oonf/ozark/recreation/caverns.html

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
If you haven't been to Branson, MO you MUST stop! (Conversely, if you've already been you're excused.)

"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sloop John B
posted Hide Post
Gunner; Thanks , 40 years ago I took a young lady to see Andy Williams , at her request for her birthday. We had front row seats , is he still in Branson? If so I should get us tickets to see him on stage . JKB 88 Regal 28' 454

JKB

88 28' Regal 454
Blue/Silver metalflake

Posts: 706 | Location: 103 miles west of Milford & 1.75 Miles from Lincoln oasis on I-80 | Member Since: 01-05-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SLOOP JOHN B:
Gunner; Thanks , 40 years ago I took a young lady to see Andy Williams , at her request for her birthday. We had front row seats , is he still in Branson? If so I should get us tickets to see him on stage . JKB 88 Regal 28' 454

Got me curious, being a fan, too.

http://www.bransontourismcenter.com/andy-williams-show.htm

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
Moon River 40 years later -what a deal!! My current favorite is Shoji Tabuchi, the Japanese fiddle player, but he may be an acquired taste. Thanksgiving is a great time in the Ozarks esp for pleasant weather and Fall colors - I urge you to go.

"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill Stevson
posted Hide Post
Sloop John B, If you're a Moon River kind of guy it sounds like Branson would be a great place to base your exploration of the Ozarks but be advised traffic there is often as bad as big-city rush hour, sometimes worse. If you have a vision of what it looked like 40 years ago be prepared for a shock! We live in the Lake of the Ozarks area (about as far north as you can go and still be considered the Ozarks)and,imho, it has been taken over by the go-fast boat-bar hopping crowd. I've traded my cruiser for a canoe and there are many fine float streams in Missouri and Arkansas. Eureka Springs, Ark. is one of our favorite motoring destinations. That will get you into the "real" Ozarks. It is a beautiful part of our country with lots of steep, winding hills some call mountains? Whatever floats your boat unless it's big-city oriented you will probably find the Ozarks a great trip. Enjoy!

Bill & Diane
1973 25'

Posts: 113 | Location: Macks Creek, MO | Member Since: 11-02-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
However do not go thru the historic district of Eureka Springs with your Barth. I did it with our bus and jeep by accident....all the ways to the end of the road in the hotel parking lot and back out again. I wrote about that in Nov. of 04 if i remember right. Not a fun time.....however now i know i can get into some pretty tight places if i have to, although i try to avoid that if i can. Smiler

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
Bill, looking at the map i see that we went thru Mack's Creek when we went to Osage Beach to meet the folks who converted and owned our bus for 20 years. Nice area, i would like to go back and spend some more time there.

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill Stevson
posted Hide Post
Shadow Man, next time you are any other Barthers are in the area give me a holler. Although I am somewhat cynical about the way the area has changed in the past 30 years (Macks Creek is still fairly rural but almost feels to me like we are in the suburbs now)the lake area is still a great place to live and visit. They used to roll up the sidewalks after Labor Day but it is now a year-round vacation destination and retirement mecca. It still slows down somewhat between Memorial and Labor days, especially during the week. Fishing is great and there is lots of night-life and is becoming well known for the many local and visiting Blues bands. There is a great RV campground right on the Osage River below the dam at the American Legion Post that would make a great rendevous spot for a fleet of Barths....come on down!

Bill & Diane
1973 25'

Posts: 113 | Location: Macks Creek, MO | Member Since: 11-02-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sloop John B
posted Hide Post
Thanks Shadowman, We will take a rental car to Eureka Springs. We saw Andy Williams in Chicago in 1966 a few months after discharge from the Army. JKB 88 Regal 28' 454

JKB

88 28' Regal 454
Blue/Silver metalflake

Picture of Sloop John B
posted Hide Post
Lee; The wife is not into caves.. I did get here into the Wind Caves south of Mt Rushmore some years back, well about 100 feet Roll Eyes JKB 88 Regal 28' 454

JKB

88 28' Regal 454
Blue/Silver metalflake