Tools
Reply To This Topic

Yoopers, Out to Launch
 Login now/Join our community

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted
We drove over the bridge to the Keweenaw Penninsula to visit my parents for the annual boat launching. They live on the water at the South Entry of the Portage Lake Shipping canal. 350 miles with no toad, the Monarch was a great ride. Arrived Fri afternoon.

On Sat morning I opened up the boat house doors and we got the cable winches ready.

A little pull across the level floor and then gravity takes over as we lower the cart down the rails.

Slowly down the hill and off the cart. Around the corner and docked.

Looks good in the front yard! 82 degrees today.

Haul the cart, close up the barn.

I think this is the 53rd year we have launched this boat. Dad is now 85, gets to run the cable winches. I run around opening/closing the barn, rigging cables and blocks. Now we just have a few drain plugs to replace, floorboards and carpets go in, and shaft connected. Almost ready for another season on beautiful Lake Superior.

Tomorrow we'll go back to being trolls (below the bridge) ROTFLMAO

Have Barth, will travel Tooling Along

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5152 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
Beautiful tradition.

Mary

Don't mess with us old folks, we don't get old by being stupid!
1968 Barth trailer, 1975 Barth Motorhome and 1985 Barth Motorhome

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/18
Picture of crouch38
posted Hide Post
Steve , Beautiful lines on the OLD girl . Is she a woody ? Bob

Year:: 1986
Model:: Barth Regal
Length:: 25 ft
Engine:: New Chevy 454 HO
Chassis:: P-30
Data Tag Number:: 8606 3339 25FP2

Posts: 262 | Location: Wampum , Pa | Member Since: 02-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
What beautiful memories for you to cherish.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of dustyjeeper
posted Hide Post
Beautiful boat. Think I'll throw my blow up kayak in the rv. Thumbs Up

1978 Barth 17' Cabin Fever
1997 Barth 23' 4 door Command Center

Posts: 506 | Location: LaSalle CO | Member Since: 12-05-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and Tere:
What beautiful memories for you to cherish.
Jim

DITTO
It is marvelous how you launch and store that big, heavy wooden boat.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crouch38:
Steve , Beautiful lines on the OLD girl . Is she a woody ? Bob

1927 Matthews 38 ft. Mahogany planks over white oak ribs. single screw, currently 85 hp 371 GM diesel, circa 1971. Cruise about 9 knots, ~750 mile range.

Dad bought that boat in early 1964. I was 10 years old. It was a wreck. It had caught fire and partially burned, was sold, then later grounded and sunk. It had oil stains halfway up the doors inside from the fiasco. Still has charred ribs near the engine. Launched first time late summer 1965. Should be no problem making 100 yrs old now.

As for memories, I grew up with that thing. It is one of the few things that have remained in my life for over 50 years. We recaulked every seam (almost 1/4 mile of seams!) the first two summers. Those who saw my 454 engine swap out the Barth side door can see where I started. A week after I graduated from high school in 1971 I swapped out the diesel engine in that boat. Built the hoist frame and ramp and winched it out the back onto a pickup truck by myself. (Dad left me there, had to return to work downstate) There are many places I can look at with great satisfaction, at the many projects we completed that have have lasted so long.

Since we built the boat house and railroad in about 1990 hauling/launching/storage has been a fairly routine process, as you can see.

Dad has kept after it all these years, really is one of a kind. I will try to remember interior photos soon, he has redone everything. Our first family RV.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5152 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Been neat to watch this report for the last several years. Is there a swelling period for the first week or so where you have to keep an eye on the bilge pumps? Looking forward to the interior pictures.
Tim

Posts: 1065 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
No problem with leaks. It is the driest wooden boat I've ever seen. After launch the pumps may run once the first day then pretty much nothing. I believe if we left the bilge and windows open the water would evaporate faster than it would leak. Could go weeks without pumping.

In heavy seas, the boat does show a bit more bilgewater after a long run. (I'm talking Lake Superior here... there were times I have been sitting on the cabin roof and couldn't see over the next wave... 9 to 10 footers) confusion

The full back cabin is good for Superior's cool temps and weather. Warm and dry inside.

Secret recipe: Notice how shiny the bottom is? No visible seams? About 35 years ago Dad covered the bottom below the waterline with epoxy and Dynel (vinyl) cloth (not fiberglass, it won't give enough to move with the wood) The hull never really dries out much

The hull moves around a bit when hauled. The prop shaft will be almost 1/4" off when sitting on the cart. By the second day in the water it is back under .010 and we bolt the shaft back up. Mechanic

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/17
Picture of Lou
posted Hide Post
Great story, Steve. She sails again!

Thanks for sharing. Let us know about any Lake Superior trips this summer.

Lou

Posts: 467 | Location: Allegan, MI. | Member Since: 08-14-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
The secret covered bottom! Smiler Good deal. I remember stories of yards around here hanging the boats in slings with a foot of water inside the hull overnight before launch just to improve chances of the pumps keeping up for the first few days.

Posts: 1065 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
The older Chris Crafts with the double planked bottoms were famous for needing soak time. Some of the older ones began to separate the outer planks and leaked like baskets for the first few days.

When Dad bought the Matthews it had been sitting on land for seven years. Planks were so dry you could see through some of the seams! We reamed the seams out, recaulked with cotton rope and seam compound. Didn't leak much the first year, as the planks soaked up, the seam compound was extruded like fins as much as 1/2". We had to cut off the "fins" and repaint the seams after the first haul.

After that, it did leak a little the first day when launched but never enough to worry. After he covered the bottom it has remained extremely tight for a wooden hull. If we rack it around on 6-8 ft waves on an 8 hour run it will run the pumps a little bit. Mechanic

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Wonderful story. Just the memories of the times you spent with her and with your dad. Priceless.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Jim you are so right. During the 60's my father was a professor at Michigan Tech, so he arranged to have limited class duties during the summer term. Summer of 1964 and 65 we worked nonstop.

We had to burn and scrape the peeling paint off the hull, and recaulk. The former owners had elected to take the easy way out when changing engine oil, ie simply drain it into the bilge and pump it into the lake when offshore. confusion
Bad idea in so many ways... environmental disaster for the lake, but also the oil floated on the bilge water. Since the pumps suck from the bottom of the bilge they rarely got all the oil out. It sloshed around and coated the bilge with tarry goo. It was my job to use a putty knife to scrape all the goo into a pail and dispose of it. In the aft cabin it meant crawling around under the floorboards to get to the places under the engine and tanks. I came out looking looking like a tarbaby, literally. I filled many 5 gallon pails with that crap.

I will admit there were times when these jobs exceeded the attention span of a 10-11 year old boy and I was frustrated. Spent two summers as a boat slave. Now I can appreciate the satisfacton of long term custodial projects. I guess that's why I have 86 and 98 coaches, 68 airplane, 82 motorcycle and 71 VW bus.

Big day when we installed the first radar. Huge advantage in foggy Lake Superior. So many project memories.

We actually use it as well. Many trips to Isle Royale, been to Duluth, Canadian shore, Sault St Marie and Mackinaw Bridge. Took a honeymoon cruise in 1974. Many more memories...

Priceless, indeed.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/17
Picture of Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess that's why I have 86 and 98 coaches, 68 airplane, 82 motorcycle and 71 VW bus.

But a really young wife, right Steve?

Posts: 467 | Location: Allegan, MI. | Member Since: 08-14-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post