Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Texas Mile
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted
I went to Golied TX., to assist with timing and scoring the Texas Mile. Great fun but a lot of work. we had 1267 runs down the "mile" in three days.

Fastest motorcycle was a "naked bike" (one with out speed fairings) at 254.4 MPH. fastest car was a Toyota Supra (1200 +/- HP) at ~ 240 MPH.

After the event we went to Houston and then to San Antonio where we have left the Barth, We flew home and will fly back on Apr 20 and go to Ft. Stockton TX. to time the BBORR event. Didn't make sense to drive to both events from home in 30 days.

We had a tiny problem with the TPS (coupling to the throttle broke) but it was corrected well enough by Texas Service Industries, Houston to get me home and I can do the permanent fix. This has been a trouble area for many Allison 6 speed applications. They also fixed a leaking rear main transmission seal, was going to do myself but they were so kind and offered a great price to do it! Nice to have the "E" brake working without slippage!!

If any one is in or going thru the Houston area, these guys are VERY helpful, knowledgeable, and VERY reasonable with their pricing.

All of the mods that I had done over the winter has really paid off. My mileage has increased to a solid 11 MPG average, the engine temperature never exceeded 195 upgrade in 90 degree ambient. (would have been 210 previously).

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
So what kind of bike was the naked bike? Hope it was a Harley!

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SorryIt was a Hayabusa.

The Harleys did quite well, all things considered, IIRCC they did about 130-140 MPH.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Could you provide a little more info on the "mile". Is this standing or salt flats trap style. Heck, I could get my Sportster to 130 with a little tweeking for a trap run, if I had the &@**'

s to do it. Really though, the difference between 100 and 140 is HUGE! And when you're talking 240 or better, that's insane! But then you have to look at what the NHRA bikers are doing in the quarter, and wonder where they would be in a controlled trap.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Texas Mile is a standing start mile on an abandon military airfield near Golied TX. The field was given to the county but they have yet to register it officially. The timing trap that I run is at the last 132 feet of the mile and that is where the vehicles are timed. There is no ET just the speed at the end of the mile. Each participant can run as many times as they want in the three days. The promoters limit the number of participants to 160, if someone leaves early, they will allow those on the waiting list to take that spot.

There was even a Duramax Diesel powered Ford Mustang there, you may see some very creative machinery!!

For more info, here is the link
Texas Mile

There is a similar event at Maxton NC.
Maxton Mile

A shot of my large display used to show the speeds from the timing trap. This and one other large display plus the timing equipment is what I lug around to these events to do the timing.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Danny Z:
Heck, I could get my Sportster to 130 with a little tweeking for a trap run,

Danny, what kind of tweaking would that be?

quote:
if I had the &@**'s to do it.

You're right about that. I'm a Sportster and KHK lover, but not for their high speed stability or smoothness. I have a 30 year old Ducati that is smoother and more stable at the high 140s than my Sportster was at the high 90s. It makes beatiful music, while the Harley sounded like it wanted to destroy itself.

Of course, at lower speeds, the Sportster has a sound to die for. Especially the KHK. I am still kicking myself for the one I didn't buy last October. I have a deteriorating knee, and my kickstarting days may be numbered. I hesitated and it was gone.

What do you think about that Euro Sportster they just started selling here?

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post