Tools
Reply To This Topic

Almost back to Florida
 Login now/Join our community

FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted
We headed out from NH on the 17th, just hours after selling our house there. This could be the last time I make the 1600 mile commute and I'm pretty happy about that part. Not that we couldn't do it for enjoyment, but I found the mandatory twice a year jaunt was becoming a drag.

We spent the first night in the Scranton, PA Walmart, a regular stop Night two we stayed at a campground in Wythville, VA and by day three we were in Sevierville, Tenn to look at a house we have made an offer on. I was a bit surprised at how built-up the Sevierville, Pigeon Forge area is, I definitely need to be out of the main traffic flow into the amusement sections. Our house, if the offer is accepted, is in Wears Valley where things are much quieter.

Day three we made it to Albany Georgia and we are currently in the Albany RV Resort which is very, very nice and inexpensive too. We will make it to Spring Hill today after a five hour final drive.

As always, the 1600 miles between NH and Fl brings a few exciting moments. Most all of mine happened yesterday within a two hour span. I had a moron - texting while driving - swerve right into my driver side which I only avoided contact by a quick swerve right into a, luckily, empty lane. I expressed my thought with the air horn and I think he may have needed a bathroom to clean up from the look on his face when he realized what was happening. I'm sure he went on to text this to his friends Mad

The next event was all my own doing because I haven't yet fixed my weak fuel solenoid issue. In fact, I have rather prided myself in how fast I can re-start on the go after an engine shutdown, perhaps six seconds of coasting and I have been back under power. EXCEPT in the middle of Atlanta on I-75 in 6 lanes of traffic!!!! I was running low on fuel, but wanted to make it through Atlanta to find a safer fuel depot outside the city. I'm in the middle lane doing 60 or so when the rig shuts down. I do my thing, but nothing! Again, nothing!! I noticed there is a light on that states "don't shift" or something to that effect. Of course, most of my brain is occupied with getting into the breakdown lane with only momentum left as a tool. To steal a pilot term, I'm trading momentum for forward travel. I get off the road and then it starts right up?? Perhaps I confused the electronic trans and it didn't want to get out of gear. That would keep the starter disengaged and would explain the "no restart" prior. Anywho, just an exciting moment in the end.

Finally, my last exciting moment happened when I found a fuel station. Of course, it was a car type station which made me need to jockey the rig and trailer just to get close enough. In doing so I forgot I had left the fuel cap on the front tire where I always place it and ran it over on the jockey! This turned out to be a good thing...let me explain. I bent the fuel cap just a little, so I retrieved my big pair of water pump pliers from the trailer and worked the cap back into place. Once I was happy, I place the cap and the pliers on top of the tire again. I takes me about 20 mins to fuel my rig due to a nagging fuel spitting problem if I fuel too fast above half full. So, I'm fueling away when this car pulls up in front of me and a guy gets out all smiles and starts walking up to me asking where I'm headed, what a nice camper, how's my day going, his day's not going so well, could I help out a little? That's when I stopped fueling and politely said "NO" and please get back in your car and move from in front of my rig. He hesitated, but kept coming and launched a little more aggressive approach.....until I retrieved the large water pump pliers from the tire. He literally stopped in his tracks, stopped blabbering, and went back to his car an drove off. Guess he was looking for an easier Mark!

I later fantasized about strapping my pistol/shotgun over my back while refueling, but I'm sure that would only lead to heartache as the local gestapo might not have a good sense of "Yankee" humor!!

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
quote:
We will make it to Spring Hill today after a five hour final drive.

I'm tempted to camp out at rt 44 & I75 and wave to you as you go by. Welcome back.

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Don't do it Dick!

Not because we wouldn't wave back......if we were on I-75, we're coming down 19 instead as we like the scenery.

Come visit in Spring Hill sometime instead.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
since we sometimes seem to have an ATM sign strapped to our backs and all hobos are attracted to us especially when we travel in our big rig Marvin told me just to aim the diesel nozzle straight at them (in emergency) and give 'em a good dose of fresh diesel. Also the nozzle itself is pretty sturdy ... get you one of these tire checkers truckers use (baton style), easy to carry.
Sevierville is too crowded for us too. That's why we are up here on the plateau near Sgt York's homeplace. End of the world, no Dollywood, no shopping, only some horse riding people and country bumkins. Doris

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post