Tools
Reply To This Topic

South Florida Trip
 Login now/Join our community

Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted
Suzy and I took the Euro to Homestead Speedway for the season opener IRL Indy car race. Had a ball and saw some awesome coaches, no Barths but one beautiful old Newell. Took 41 back across the state for the first time in about 25 years. Not much different but a few more airboat rides and Indian places. Stayed a night at Collier-Seminole State park just south of Naples on 41. This is an older park from the 40's and the sites are a tad small and close together but the folks are friendly and accomodating. They put out a breakfast in the screen room every morning on a donation basis. This not only feeds the masses but provides a chance to meet your fellow campers. We wanted to do the pontoon boat ride but Tues morning was rainy and we had to hit the road before the sky cleared. Saw a killer old Bluebird Wanderlodge at this park but didn't get to say howdy to whoever the lucky owners were. I'd give the park a good rating if you're going this way anyway, but not something to go way out of the way for. 41 is a bumpy 2 lane road across the state and 75 is much smoother and a wide divided highway. However, I never held up traffic on 41, averaging about 55, so my milage was even better than the 8 going over. Not bad for an old 454! Happy Trails, Danny Z

------------------
Dan & Suzy Z
'81 Euro 28

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Well Danny you know what I say. Every trip is the "trip of a lifetime". Sounds like you created some memories on the way. You guys sound like the best of travelers, nothing is a hassle and everything is an adventure.

Thanks for the great travelogue, what's that old Keely Smith song, "I can dream can't I?"

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
This week the Euro is a motel room for my nephew and his girl down from Michigan. They love it and have more privacy than if they were in the house. I've never spent better money in all my life!

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dan,

I also have a 28 foot Euro,mine is a 1981. From your post I am lead to believe that you got 8 mpg crossing Fla for east to West and better when traveling back across from Naples due to the slower speed. I guess my question is do you regularly get 8 mpg on the flat road going between 65 and 75 mph? Mine seems to get 6mpg on a flat road doing 65-75mph.

I would like to compare your drivetrain setup to mine. I have a brand new 454 crate engine with headers, original carburation and the heavier Chevy rear end with 10 leaf springs. I have not researched the gear ratio in the rear but if yours is higher, it could make the difference in gas mileage.

I just traded up recently from a 1989 24 foot class C SOB to my 1981 class A Barth and am loving it.

Barry

Posts: 43 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Member Since: 11-16-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Barry, In Fla. I usually get about 7 running 70 to 75. Up in Georgia and Bama I might get 5 to 6 in the mountains. I try to use 2 barrels but if it opens up you can see the gauge dropping. I'm running the original 454, and I pulled the compressor out to lessen drag, since it didn't work anyway. I run the Onan and roof air when it's needed and drop at least a mile when I do. The 8 was on I75 from Venice to Miami, running at 64 with no air. It's about as good as I have ever gotten.

------------------
Dan & Suzy Z
'81 Euro 28