Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Leavin' Thursday to Wander North
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted
We're headed out Thur 9/2 from DC area, 10 days to wander northern PA...Plan to kayak the river thru the Delaware Gap Recreation Area, bike/moped the backroads....Then off to Scranton for Labor Day RailFest at the National Steam Museum...Across the top of PA to Wellsboro and the Grand Canyon of the East area, where we'll float the Pine River, bike the rail-trails and hunt down some trout. Then south to Millersburg for some time on the Susquehanna...As luck would have it, first part of trip routing roughly parallels Hurricane Earl's path head bang No 5-yr old grandkids this time, but somehow I think I'm gonna be able to adjust....About 1k miles spread over 10 days will make for some easy driving...Like they say: Not much square footage, but one heck of a front yard! Tooling Along

Anybody have some "must-see" stops in that region?

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sloop John B
posted Hide Post
Lee: When on the Delaware, Stop in Narrowsburg and have a bite at the little restaraunt by the bridge. Ask to go out on the small back deck that overlooks the eddy pond . If your lucky you we see eagles fishing. Oldest sons inlaws live a few miles down river in a log cabin. Enjoy the trip. Tooling Along All who wander are not lost.

JKB

88 28' Regal 454
Blue/Silver metalflake

Posts: 706 | Location: 103 miles west of Milford & 1.75 Miles from Lincoln oasis on I-80 | Member Since: 01-05-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
I net-surfed Narrowsburg...looks like a neat little place...it's on the agenda....Thanks John!

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania (In Strasburg) is excellent.

I-695 to I-83 to US 30 at York, US 222 at Lancaster (short divert to Strasburg) to I-78 is my favorite route to North NJ.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post

September 2-13, 2010

Back from our "Wanderin' PA" trip....Perfect weather, ZERO Barth issues, great scenery....!!
Averaged less than 100 miles/day, so it was definately laid-back - MY kind of trip Thumbs Up

Highlights:

The Delaware River at the PA/NY/NJ corner is beautiful, clear and shallow, making for some great kayaking, although the post-Earl winds made it a challenge.....

Rail-Fest at the Scranton Steamtown Nat'l. Historic Site was really enjoyable, allowing Casey Jones wannabees like me to sit in the engineer's seat and make train sounds...

Route Six across the top of PA is a scenic drive if yer not in a hurry and enjoy little towns....

The Grand Canyon area around Wellsboro PA has incredible views, Pine Creek is a beautiful Class One rivershed, allowing you to lay back and just float at 4mph - all 63 miles if ya want.

The Pine Creek rail-trail follows the river, is hard-packed & level, making for some super biking....

We stumbled across a black bear and her cub foraging along the river...she finally caught our scent and headed in our direction (For the record, my bride's bike does 37mph in first gear and she can easily outpace me in the 1/2 mile sprint Superman

For one night, our campground neighbor forewarned us that he played the ACCORDIAN....Fortunately, he really was an accomplished one and the campers loved it....We've never done the waltz and the polka around a campfire before....

31 total Barth comments (but who's counting? Wink).....Only two were familiar with the brand, making me feel really old.....

First long trip with our swivel-wheel trailer, haulin' the bikes & mopeds....performed exactly as I hoped it would....no negative issues...apparantly one of those rare occasions where I did it right the first time.....

No grandkids on the trip.......

Lowlights

No grandkids on the trip.......

Pennsylvania waters contain absolutely no trout that would be considered "stupid"....(Oh well, I'll really nail'em next time)

Since we were out of cell-range, used payphone & debit card to make a 90 second call to outfitter shuttle service located 4 miles away.....Frontier Communications charged me $23.50 for the call Mad

Lost the sewer cap....stopped at huge RV dealer to pick-up new one....Floor salesman commented that it looked like I should be selling hotdogs out of my Barth.....You can bet that when I buy my Newell DP,
it won't be from him Razzer

Pics on our blog soon.......Geeeze, I just LUV this old machine! Tooling Along

(Click on pic for Sounds-of-the-Wilderness Big Grin

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
The Delaware River at the PA/NY/NJ corner is beautiful, clear and shallow, making for some great kayaking, although the post-Earl winds made it a challenge.....
You made it to Milford after all!!! Milford PA that is... Wink

You were about 30 miles from my house. Frowner

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Well shoot Bill, had I realized that, I would have shown up at your place, saved myself 22 bucks for the night and maybe got myself a free genny tune-up to boot!.....I even would have asked Accordian Man to follow me (although, with the amp he had, you might have heard him from your place anyway) Big Grin