Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Off to Texas in a couple of days
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted
Well my race seasons starts at the end of March so I will start my journey this week. This year I will be VERY BUSY, have 10 events to work and not a lot of time between a few of them. Probably will rack up another 20K miles on the Breakaway.

This year something different, I have all my timing gear in a 7X12 trailer. It was time, so much stuff I have developed over the years the Breakaway was crammed, not very comfortable travel. I was running out of here at 22,500 lbs. which is a bit over GVW.

My Breakaway had 2 GVW labels, 1 from Spartan at 20,000 and 1 from Barth at 18,000. Interesting when the coach was completely empty, low fuel, no water, gray/black tanks empty, the coach weighed in at 18,100 lbs, already over the Barth GVW.

Anyway, just getting the electric trailer brake controller in today and will be almost ready to head out. Will be returning to CA for an event at Mojave April 8-9 and then home for a couple of weeks.

Bud, are you back in AZ yet? Tom, I will not be in Houston this time and the Houston 1/2 mile (mid May) has been cancelled.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
Safe travels and no ditch running! Tooling Along

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1384 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Don't forget us race freaks love pics of fast stuff. I saw a feature on a older orange Camaro at the Texas mile. Can't remember the name of it now but it's a purpose-built car just for your kind of speed runs.
Have fun and be careful.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Danny, I think of you every time a bike comes to the line. The problem I have is I am mostly confined to the RV to keep the data flowing and printing the speed tickets. I get a car or bike thru the traps every 30-45 seconds and not a lot of time to take pictures. We can run 400-500 runs per day if no one breaks or has an incident. I am fairly far away from the finish line on the return path of the participants.

Highest speeds at this location (Beeville TX) 278 MPH by a 2006 Ford GT. Fastest bike is about 260 MPH. Hyabusa (SP) are really quick! Had a Harley go over 150 MPH

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Has Beeville changed their mind and allowing the Texas Mile again? Sorry you won't be close to Houston, loked forward to seeing both of you again.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tom, Beeville and TM came to some agreement for 2016. I do not get involved with the politics but it sounds like a deal was struck. that will be a good thing for both parties.

Certainly I was looking forward to seeing you again. Ellington Field has cancelled all non-aeronautical activities at the field so that is why I will not come to Houston in May.

I am on the way now and the Texas Mile promoters are pressuring me to come to Houston to fix some video equipment so it is a remote possibility we can meet up. I am pulling a 12 foot trailer so I will stay away from tight spots.

I will definitely be in the Houston in October

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

posted Hide Post
Have arrived safely at Port Lavaca TX. I am here a few days earlier so a couple of days at Magnolia Beach for some badly needed R&R is in order.

Breakaway ran well, averaged slightly under 10 MPG, total weight 24,000 lbs. Used a bit more oil, mostly due to blow by, breather hose noticeably more wet than usual. Not unusual as I was running at higher than normal boost during a lot of the climbs up the hills.

Flat and level didn't notice the trailer, up the hills, quite a bit difference, down one gear on the worst places. High winds from El Paso it was a hand full.

Speedometer crapped out completely. It had always fluctuated a lot for the first day after a long period of inactivity and then would settle down. This time it has never moved off zero! I will take it to a VDO shop and have them open it up for me and perhaps I can find the issue and fix it. Odometer still is working.

Everyone have a GREAT EASTER, I will start the race set up on Wednesday if the forecast rain goes away..

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Check the cable first. Universal ones are available at most aupt parts stores. It can unwind and thwn seize.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestion. Mine is electronic, no cable, has a 40,000 pulse/mile transducer on the transmission.

I could buy new one but all VDO offers now are red pointers.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

posted Hide Post
Made it back safely! No issues pulling the trailer. Didn't see much change in mileage, maybe a 1/10 or so!

Speedometer never came back this time, usually it would come back and settle down after the first day driving but not this time. Will take it to speedo shop and have then take the face off and see if I can find the failure or failed componet. Odometer still works

ROLLED over 250,000 miles this trip, still going strong!

Alternator died at Mojave so that portion was with the generator running to keep the chassis batteries up. I had taken the 200 amp alternator off and put the 160 back on before the trip. I haven't found a way to mount both. Wanted to use 160 amp for chassis batteries and the 200 amp for coach batteries. Another project waiting!

Next trip is Memorial Day to Blytheville AR for the new Arkansas Mile event!

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
A traveling man, indeed! Good luck with the events. Keep us posted, let me know if you decide to visit your brother out my way. Would be great to see you again, as always.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post