Tools
Reply To This Topic

Minnesnowta bound
 Login now/Join our community

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Well cable is better but still not good. I have an extra return spring and it works but it takes two feet to hold it.

Between that and the nail in the tire I am hesitant to drive it any more than necessary. At this point I am planning to bail on the MN GTG and run back home. head bang

I will have to try a better job of pressure lubing. God forbid I have to replace the thing, it is buried in the frame and boxed in by the lower storage spaces. Appears to be well attached too. Might have to run one through that heater plenum like I did with the heater hoses. head bang

Rather than press on further from home I feel it is wiser to retreat. I am disappointed and frustrated by this but at least I will see most of the people again soon at Milford.

I can get the cable problem resolved and my front tire fixed when I get back, not to mention genset and awning. Meanwhile I will horse the coach back home.

Apologies to all the folks who made it to Camp Maiden Rock. I miss you all, will see you again soon, I hope. Take care.

to be continued:

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5179 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Drove home with no further problems. head bang

Tire held air, throttle cable got no worse. (still had to stand on it!) and steering pulls left but I am home again.

The trip started pretty well but the awning and the throttle stepped in early. OTOH the family visit and boat launch went really well. We all enjoyed the company and the time together.

As for MN, well not so good. The coach gave me enough concern to head home. If the weather ever warms up, I will finally get the things done I have been waiting for so long to be able to do.

I am glad to be home but sorry to have missed my friends in Minnesnowta.

I ordered a new VDO speedometer today. (The odometer display quit on the old one.) Awning motor soon...

Looking forward to Elkhart now. Mechanic

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5179 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Steve, so sorry to hear of your troubles. I am thinking about changing my route and coming your direction tomorrow, I can lend a hand if you need.

Happy to hear you are home safely.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MWrench:
Steve, so sorry to hear of your troubles. I am thinking about changing my route and coming your direction tomorrow, I can lend a hand if you need.

Happy to hear you are home safely.

Thanks for the offer but no need to change plans. As I recall you have some business down south to attend to. Actually I am ignoring the coach for a few days... not in the mood to beat that horse right now. I will order another awning motor today. I have plenty of other things to do here in the meantime. I need to check with my tire guys and bring it down there too.

Let me know when you'll be in Howell. I have trips to Canton planned to move furniture, etc, might end up there. Either way, I will be ready for the Elkhart trip for sure.

The weather is finally showing sighns of summer. Predicting warm and dry. That will help progress greatly.

Heading out to my camp today. New batteries to install, prime the well, set up the generator, etc. A good change of pace.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Well Steve happy to see you made it back home without incident. We have 10 days before Goshen, should be time to rejuvenate the soul and the Monarch.

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2055 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
Guess you are all too busy eating, drinking and singing along Kenny's guitar - we need some pictures! Y'all have fun!

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
Folks were heading out this am. Ed headed out first followed by us. The rest will head out timing there escape to the Twin Cities traffic.

Kayz will be happy to know I will be showering up and heading to work soon with a different set of clothes.

Didn't use the Cruise on the way over but tried on the way home. No joy there I will have to troubleshoot. I bet with the minds we had at Maiden Rock we would have made short order of that one.

Need to replace the generator slide switch as it burnt out pre trip. I had a 40+ft coach on the way over as I just left it out and drove. Does that make mine the longest Barth EVER???? nono Sniffer needed a reset because the fridge and generator wouldn't go (no propane). Of course no propane because the sniffer locked them out.

All Minor nuisances.

Great time. New members Bob and Yvonne fit right in. 3 Monarchs to compare the differences and similarities.

Got to get to work.....

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1384 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great time was had by all, wish I had been able to attend. Thumbs Up See you in Goshen!!!

Seems to be a lot of nuisance problems with a bunch of Barths at this time, we might turn Goshen into a repair outing.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2055 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I had 1400 miles from Minnesnowta GTG down to Blytheville AR and back up to Howell MI area. Constant RAIN and more RAIN. Turd Fairy hit me, roof leak, Rear cabinet above the bed on driver's dripping water this AM.

Looks like I got lots of work to do when I return home later this month, in the meantime I need to find some HOT weather to get this thing dried out.

Driving to upper MI Wednesday but schedule not yet confirmed.

Not been a happy camper this trip except for the GREAT time at the Minnesnowta GTG. See y'all at Rusty's Memorial GTG.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Sorry about your leak. Nothing worse than being away from your tools and stuff when you need them. Feel free to stop in TN for repairs. I have a shop your Barth would fit in, with electricity, air compressor, and everything.
Now my Winnebago doesn't leak at all. Never has. Do you think it might have something to do with the fact that it never leaves the shop unless the sun is shining and the forecast is more of the same? Click

Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Driving to upper MI Wednesday but schedule not yet confirmed

Sorry about the leak ED, most folks hate my solution of Flex Seal or equivalent, works great as a temporary fix.

Are you headed up to Steve's' place, he has not been on site for a bit I hope all is well?

P30 chassis
350 engine

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
We used white Flex seal on the toyhauler roof seams. Had a leak dripping on bed, stopped it and blends in.

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin+Doris:
We used white Flex seal on the toyhauler roof seams. Had a leak dripping on bed, stopped it and blends in.

Thanks Marvin + Doris. When I get to Indiana I will be shopping for all that stuff. I knew I had a leak but never had lots of rain to prove it!

Looking forward to seeing you both AND your Bird.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

posted Hide Post
I am in the Elkhart area now, Will be scoping out the salvage yards thru Sunday, will also go to the fairgrounds and check camp ground conditions.

Anyone have a list of your favorite salvage/surplus yards? names and addresses would be helpful.

See Y'all soon.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of kenny j
posted Hide Post
Hey Ed, sorry about the leaky roof but I will match that leaky roof, and raise you a, it won't crank over and a, now it cranks but won't start. I am sorry, that was unfair, my breakaway has been doing this since the day I bought it. The first time I noticed an issue, we will call issue number one. Going to the black hills gtg in 2012, I stopped in chamberlain south Dakota to re fuel. I shut it off, filled it, hit the key and it would crank but not fire. A few minutes later, it started and we were on our way. Every time we would come home from a gtg, I would shut it down and remove our food and clothing. then try to start it and all it would do is crank. Now, issue number two was hit the key and it won't turn over, dash lights come on but nothing at the starter. In 2015 we decided to go to chatanooga for Mary's birthday and I spent $1200 at the shop. A new fuel shut off solenoid and cleaning terminals. they found a few worn wires, and said we were good to go. We spent the first night in Rockford Ill. got up the next morning, hit the key and nothing. Wiggle the key for a minute and it starts. Shop looked at it again and couldn't find any reasons. Well, all solenoids and connections were replaced or cleaned. The only switch or solenoid that I hadn't replaced was the gm P30 ignition switch. I changed that this last Monday and I'll be darned. Hit the key and it started immediately. Drove it for an hour to make sure its good and warm and then shut it off. waited 5 minutes and tried to start it. To my surprise it fired right up. So the two gremlins that(I believe have been living in my barth) have now moved on. I am now a happy camper again. Was good to see all at the gtg and after all these years, it was good to talk to Ed again. Everybody be safe and have a great time at Milford. I wish I was able to make it but not this year.
Kenny

Posts: 186 | Location: grasston, mn | Member Since: 06-16-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post