Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Minnesnowta bound
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Hey Dana, when are you doing the pork? I hope to make a day trip to Morristown and would love to get a sandwich, before heading back to Iowa. Wish I could spend the week but it is not possible.

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2042 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Ed, the park in St.Peters is flooded almost to the top of the entrance levy. The higher priced one in North St.Charles is okay. Probably easier south or east. Stay safe .

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane88:
Hey Dana, when are you doing the pork? I hope to make a day trip to Morristown and would love to get a sandwich, before heading back to Iowa. Wish I could spend the week but it is not possible.

Didn’t I tell you you were uninvited for giving me such a hard time about sending you all the water down the river? Pork Wednesday evening! Yes you are still invited

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1383 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Still having problems with the throttle. Did not respond to my feeble attempts to lube. Cruise control does not like the throttle binding. I am worried about driving it this way. I have to pull on the pedal to get it to slow down or to idle properly...

Definitely not in the rear, I pulled the cable loose and all linkages in the back are free. Looking closer at the front end. I will disconnect and pull on the cable some more...

Meanwhile my GPS quit working. Dam what next?

Hoping to leave on time in the morning, we'll see.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5159 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Just got back from rescuing the camper from potential impending doom. It was sitting on a higher dry spot in the lot but future is looking gloomy. This is from the Missouri River side. Had to drive through about of foot of water on the way out. It is now on the street in front of the house. Just got an update a levy about 40 miles upstream was overtopped and the Joe Page bridge over the MS is closed.
Need to move to NM so I can re-experience drought!

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Looks like the turd fairy is messing with you too. head bang
Good luck, keep your powder dry.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5159 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
My dad had the same throttle cable problem on his 4104 bus. It is in a housing and he blew oil thru from the front until it came out the back with help of an air compressor and a blowgun.

Great success, operated like brandnew. Marvin

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin+Doris:
My dad had the same throttle cable problem on his 4104 bus. It is in a housing and he blew oil thru from the front until it came out the back with help of an air compressor and a blowgun.

Great success, operated like brandnew. Marvin

Good idea, that is what I am left with now. Unfortunately, the inside cable extends well beyond the sleeve, hard to get a seal around it. The front end is connected just below the floor, the rear is attached to the engine. If I unhook the rear end and elevate it above the floor line I should be able to get some in it. Mechanic

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Still no joy. Cable is still hanging up. I added another return spring and it works but pedal pressure is quite high and sure to be tiring. The cruise can't hold it either. I am afraid it still may hang up and break.

Meanwhile the ubolts on the safety steer clamp are rusted. I would rather not break them so I will have to keep soaking. It still pulls to the left, more driver fatigue.

It is getting late to make the GTG today. Considering I am 350 miles from home heading another 425 miles further with these problems seems to make bad sense. It might be smarter to get back home and fix all of this crap... hmm

I will let it soak a while longer for now.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately Steve, if you can't fix it at your Dads place the best bet is to get back where you have the tools and ability to get parts. Besides it is only 2 weeks till Goshen, you might need the time to get parts. Good luck!!!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2042 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Steve, if you d go back home, I will leave here to your place and give you a hand if you could use one.

Sure hope you can get it sorted out in time to make it here but i know you well enough, you won't risk it if things are saying NO

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2176 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
My luck with cables has been Zip, took the bass boat into the Gulf of Mexico once, few days later the throttle and steering cables were frozen, tried everything, got them to move a bit, but had to replace them.

Nose has cables going to the eyebrow doors, I bet I put a quart of oil and a can of penetrant oil on one and it is still hard to pull. Broke the handle. The other side is fine The parking brake cable/cables is/are beyond repair too.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
This seems to be a payback karma.

The awning motor failed 5 days before we left Florida. (extended of course.) I rolled it up manually, zip tied it in place. Not enough time to order the $300 motor, we motored home. Made it all the way back no problem! The plan was to at least remove and inspect the motor (it worked the day before!) Naturally I needed a dry day or two to pull it and test, etc. Didn't get to it due to weather. Bit me going over the bridge.

Once on the way from Forida I was floored going up a hill, crested the hill, let off. Coach keeps going. Tapped the pedal and it backed off. Only time it happened, I forgot about it. Coming to the UP it got a lot worse. Sticks at or above 1/2 throttle. The cruise control hangs up too. Have to pull on the pedal to release. Spooky. Still trying to fix. Wish I knew it would be a problem when I left.

Genset ran 3 days before I left. After I stopped to check the awning, the genset would not start? service required...

When I tightened the loose end bolts on the Safety Steer before I left I did not expect it to pull left. The ubolts that clamp to the steering link must be loosened to adjust the Safety Steer are badly rusted. I fear they will break. I have soaked them but they are still stuck. Replacement ubolts may be harder to find here... I'm looking...

Checked the tires before I left. OK. Checked them 3 days later, right front was down 20 psi. Dam. What next? It appears I have nail in the tire. Double Dam... head bang

And to add to all that my ancient GPS decided to die! Don't really need it this trip but WTF?

On the plus side the heater lines and circulating pump are working perfectly. Lots of heat.

We had a really smooth easy boat launch and great weather. We had a family reunion with all present. Good times with good memories of my mother. A memorable weekend.

Meanwhile, I am on hold. I am hesitant to drive this thing with the throttle hanging up. I have elevated the cable and added oil. Hope it will help.

to be continued:

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Can you pull the new cable using the old or is it fastened with rusted clips? On friends boat we were able to tape the new to the old and pull, wiggle, twist, finagle and eventually make the route. It does take two people that are willing to sustain the swearing of the owners frustration.
Best wishes and good luck,
Tim

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Not going to make even the daytrip to Morristowm....see you all in Goshen!!!!!

P30 chassis
350 engine