Barthmobile Portal
Minnesnowta bound

This topic can be found at:
https://www.barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6341087061/m/6963967297

05-31-2019, 05:28 PM
Duane88
Minnesnowta bound
quote:
posted 05-31-2019 07:47 AMHide PostOn the way just past Cheyenne Wyoming another chapter with my Breakaway. Of these 300,000 miles 225,000 +/- are driven by me!

Geez that is about 6 months of total life no eating, peeing, sleeping, or sex unless you multi-task, providing you averaged around 50mph. Quite an accomplishment.

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine
06-01-2019, 08:20 AM
Steve VW
Must be something about these MN trips crossing the Mac bridge. The trolls have it in for me! Last year with the tow dolly for Duane and the tires for Dana, two of the (supposedly!) well lashed tires fell off on the bridge. Recovered OK but stressful. First time I ever lost anything on any load I ever moved!

Yesterday as we crossed, Liz noticed the awning had unrolled a foot or two, flapping in the strong winds! confusion

About a week before we left Florida, the awning motor quit. (In the extended position, naturally) Too late to order parts, I rolled it up by hand and zip tied the awning arms to the coach. Drove 1614 miles home, no problems. Due to unrelenting cold and rain I still did not get a chance to fix it. As we crossed the bridge it did not extend, but partly unrolled in place!

Due to the high winds and construction on the bridge, traffic was down to 25 mph, so the awning was not damaged. Across the bridge we stopped to roll it up but by then the spring had wound it back in. A quick lashing with tape and rope and away we went. Still want to fix that soon though. Anxiety again.

After the awning fix I tried to start the genset to microwave some coffee. Dam thing wont start, again. I have spent several hours chasing demons and have more to find I guess. I tested it 3 days ago and it worked fine... head bang

Meanwhile, I finally finished running my engine heater hoses forward to reconnect the heater. That worked OK, we have heat again. Thumbs Up

While at that, I noticed the two end bolts on my Safety Steer plus were loose. I tightened them up. It did remove some play but now the coach pulls to the left. Had to fight it all the way here. Another thing to play with, again. head bang

Another problem I first noticed on return from Florida, the throttle cable is sticking. I lubed both ends this week but it is getting worse. I must inspect again, I don't want it to hang up or break on the road.

All of this would have been done if I'd had decent weather even for a few days. Not this Spring!

All three sisters are here also, one local and two from Denver area. We will have a memorial service for my mother, who died last September. First time we've all been together since.

We will launch Dad's boat later today. He too barely got the projects on the boat done in time due to crappy weather. We have sunshine today and a couple nice days ahead, finally.

We are planning to head out for MN Mon or Tues. Lots of things to do!

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp
06-01-2019, 08:50 AM
Dick Dubbs
quote:
This

Once....... I was told to "cheer up, things could get worse."
So, I did and....... they did! head bang

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

06-01-2019, 09:33 AM
Jim and Tere
Anyone else would have laid down in the middle of the Mackinac Bridge in a fetal position. Keep on keepin' on.

Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny
06-01-2019, 12:35 PM
Duane88
Steve I guess that's why we love these old machines, they keep us on our toes. Motorhomes in general seem to have multi-ongoing stages of disrepair requirements.

Just keeping the Nose is a Semi-State of reliability consumes a majority of my time. There are also many things I need or would like to do that will improve the quality of the experience once I get to the comfortable stage of reliability and safety.

P30 chassis
350 engine
06-01-2019, 06:03 PM
Steve VW
They go through cycles indeed. It seems about the time I get something all fixed up I wind up selling it.

Once I get a few more things finished the Monarch will be mostly done but not for sale yet!

(At the risk of thread drift, we got a few things done today..)

A strange day here. 34 degrees this morning. Now a funny blue color in the sky, a big bright spot too. Warm, sunny, very little wind. A good day to float an old boat again. Dad is heading in to run the winch, 87 years young.

Here we go:

3 brothers in law to help with docking.

The boathouse is empty again. Cart is in, doors closed. Took a couple hours but went very smoothly. I believe this was our 54th launch.

I often get questions about old wooden boats and leaking. Some do, some don't. Ours leaks very little.

8 hours after launch, the pumps have not run yet. The water is about 2 1/2 inches deep near the keel. Another inch and the pumps will run, maybe by tomorrow.

Floorboards still up inside:

I would bet that if you pumped it tomorrow, left the floorboards up and the windows open, the pumps would not run for weeks. Evaporation would dry it out faster than it leaks in. Not bad for a boat built in 1927. Thumbs Up

Tomorrow I will drop in the floorboards and carpets and recouple the engine shaft.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp
06-01-2019, 07:24 PM
Jim and Tere
I've seen you and your Dad do this before but every time is new and leaves me speechless. These are times with your Dad you'll cherish forever. Smiler

Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny
06-02-2019, 12:08 PM
Duane88
What a beautiful spread and boat.

P30 chassis
350 engine
06-02-2019, 01:56 PM
Steve VW
That boat is the oldest thing in my life. I was ten when we bought it. Many changes over the years but the same boat mostly. Thanks for the compliments, I will pass them on to Dad.

Now it is time to get back to the coach and the "Minnesnowta bound" idea.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp
06-02-2019, 03:24 PM
ccctimtation
Years ago my neighbor who grew up with marina owners said that at spring launch time they both pumped water into the bilges for a day or two of swelling or let the boat hang in the slings overnight to swell the hull.
Glad to have a glass boat, just wish I could get to it. Looks like maybe July 4th commissioning if lucky.
Glad to see these launch pics every year.
Tim
06-02-2019, 04:06 PM
Steve VW
quote:
Originally posted by ccctimtation:
Years ago my neighbor who grew up with marina owners said that at spring launch time they both pumped water into the bilges for a day or two of swelling or let the boat hang in the slings overnight to swell the hull.

For years that was the norm for many boats. This one is exceptionally dry. Several factors: when elastomeric caulking compounds became available they can stretch and stay tight when the planks dried. In the late 60's Dad and I reamed and recaulked every seam below the waterline, and most above as well. (We calculated it was over 1/4 mile of seams...) confusion

Later we covered the hull below the waterline with an epoxy and Dynel (vinyl) fabric skin. (Epoxy, much better than polyester, and Dynel much more flexible than the more common fiberglass cloth.) Notice how smooth the bottom looks and the absence of visible seams. Evidently we laminated well because the stuff has not come off in 40 years. That helped cover the seams and also prevents the planks from drying and shrinking as much when hauled. Result is a very tight stable wooden structure. This morning there was still almost no water in the bilge.

Biggest problem for wooden boats is storage. Without good ventilation, there will be moisture and rot. The boathouse is the other really important factor. When inside the boat is totally open with floorboards up. A small fan runs periodically too.

Good luck with your launching and have a great boat season! cheers

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp
06-02-2019, 05:47 PM
ccctimtation
Thanks Steve, the boat is in the water year around. We just can't get around! Judging from the charts if you and Duane quit sending abnormal amounts of water there's a chance to touch Timtation before July. Major work will be needed for the harbor. Just did a minor road tour, serious damage to homes in low areas, areas that wouldn't have a problem were it not for elevated levies and a whole rant that could diverge into many areas so quickly Bill would go nuts. Fortunately my small loss is recreational, so many's loss is household and/or income.
06-02-2019, 09:18 PM
Duane88
quote:
Judging from the charts if you and Duane quit sending abnormal amounts of water there's a chance to touch Timtation before July.

Tim all the water is from Minnesnowta, blame Dana, not Steve and I.....

P30 chassis
350 engine
06-03-2019, 06:45 AM
Dana
Duane you are going to be giving me a complex. If you quit sending me rain(it all comes from the south (Iowa)) I would quit sending it back by via the river.

Ed is in the yard and I just realized a better host would have given him the Internet password...........

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth
06-03-2019, 09:04 AM
MWrench
Arrived at Dana's late yesterday, Great visit and talk. will be going to Camp Maiden Rock West later today, a day early but will give me some downtime to catch up on things.

So far 2116 miles driven, 300,812 on the clock, lots more to go this trip.

Will leave here June 6 and go to Blytheville Arkansas, June 10 to St. Louis MO, June 11 to Howell MI, June 16 to Rusty Keeney Memorial GTG, June 22 heading home but, have no idea which route. I should be home July 2-3.

Had a very close encounter with a deer yesterday, how we missed each other, I have no idea but was REAL CLOSE.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater