Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Trip to the Grand Canyon
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
Doorman and Bill H, we are in a Dodge Van so side trips will not be a problem, thanks for the tips.

We will be leaving shortly.

Mary

Don't mess with us old folks, we don't get old by being stupid!
1968 Barth trailer, 1975 Barth Motorhome and 1985 Barth Motorhome

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Mary, how about a running commentary in the 'Barth Journeys' forum? I really enjoy hearing about the trips others take. Sort of vicarious living for the rest of us.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/17
Picture of Lou
posted Hide Post
Mary,

Check your email. There's something there ♫ your brother can serenade you with on your trip.

Enjoy.

Posts: 467 | Location: Allegan, MI. | Member Since: 08-14-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
Lou, I checked my email and only you would be so considerate. Big Grin We got to Amarillo about 10 or so last night and stayed at the Super 8. Nice comfy room and good breakfast. We have about 500 miles to go but kinda in a hurry to get there as we have reservations at Kaibab National Forest, don't want to waste that 10 dollar a nite campsite Wink. Not getting to take many pictures on the way as I am mostly driving but promise to take many after we get there and on the way back as we won't be in a hurry then.

Mary

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
If you stay at another motel on your way back, try the "Drury Inn" on the westside of Amarillo (or any other Drury). Be sure to grab a coupn book before (without they are pricey, $80-100/nite), with the coupon they usually run $60-70 for two). They have quiet clean rooms but the greatest is that the extras are not extra. You get free hot evening food between 5-7pm with free sodas and popcorn and free 3 alcoholic beverages of your choice. 60 min long distance free, free Wifi, free business center with computer and printer you can use. And a free hot breakfast. Vety high quality and not having to pay or go out
for food is sooo nice and pays off.
And pets stay free and are welcome.

I guess you did not eat the 72oz steak at the BigTexan Big Grin

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
Doris, thanks for the tip on Drury Inn, don't know what out plans are yet for the trip back home. My brother is hiking to the bottom of the Canyon today and coming back up in two days so we will at least be here until Thursday. We have a campsite inside the park and the shuttle service takes you almost every where.

I am going to make a photobucket album so that anyone interested can look at it istead of taking up space on here although I won't have it ready till I get back home. I had to drive out of the park to get internet service at the micky d's.

We are having lots of fun and seeing lots of interesting sites.

Mary

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
Kudos to your brother hiking down in the canyon and Wink especially back UP and out. Wow.

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Back in the late 70's I went there with some college friends. We merrily hiked 7 miles DOWN to the river in a couple hours, no problem...

We had planned a one day hike, set out fairly early. It was after midnight when we got back UP, almost crawling, dead tired and very thirsty. Park rangers were nervous, waiting at the top. I've never been more tired in one day. Stupid punks! nono

Between the uphill and the altitude it was a very foolish plan. The Coors beer we bootlegged home in the van paid for most of the gas though! cheers

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5187 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
Brother made it down in one day, but is taking two days to come back up (after all he is 74 years old, but determined). It is taking about 3 to 4 hours per 1 and 1/2 mile coming up.

Will probably leave tomorrow on the way back home and hopefully we will take 3 days. Going 1344 miles in two days is rough.

Mary

Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
We are in Williams, Arizona, and spent the night at a motel on the old Route 66. Will be watching the "gunfight" at the train station at 9 this morning and the Memorial Day Parade at 11.

The trip home will begin after the parade with many small stops scheduled on the way.

Mary