Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Trip to the Grand Canyon
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Picture of Mary Ray
posted
Tomorrow is my Big Brothers birthday (his 74th) and he has offered to take me to the Grand Canyon. Smiler We will be leaving this Friday and we will be tent camping (something I have not done in years). Planning on being at the Canyon for 3/4 days. If any one has suggestions on sites to see on the way out there let me know, I won't have this opportunity again.

I have been fortunate enough to live in lots of different places over my lifetime but New Mexico was as close as I got to the Grand Canyon. Am really looking forward to this trip Big Grin(except the part about the tent Eeker)

Mary

Don't mess with us old folks, we don't get old by being stupid!
1968 Barth trailer, 1975 Barth Motorhome and 1985 Barth Motorhome

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Still going by bus?

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
Rusty, been a change of plans, he wants to drive I want to go by bus. Since he is paying Wink he gets to choose. We will be going in his Dodge Grand Caravan and staying at Kaibab National Forest close to Williams, Arizona.

Mary

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
Easy access right off I40 near Holbrook AZ is the Petrified Forest NP. Holbrook also had a really cute little old museum downtown, but I do not know if it still exists. But they still got the Wigwam Motel.
Enjoy your trip !!!!

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Doris. I have heard of the Wigwam Motel and will stop and see it and check on the Museum.

Mary

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Mary Ray, what a wonderful trip to take with your brother. I'll bet it would make a great book or short story for you to share this very special time you'll have.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
Jim, I am really looking forward to this trip. Don't get to see my brother often because he lives about 400 miles away and only comes up to Memphis about every 3 months. We have always been good friends as well as family. He has definitely been my Big Brother, always looking out for his Little Sister.

Mary

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/17
Picture of Lou
posted Hide Post
Mary- This will be a memorable trip. I did something similar on Long Island with my sister about 4 years ago. She passed away the next year. I will always treasure the memory of spending the day with Suzy touring the vineyards on the north shore.

Enjoy your trip and take plenty of pictures!

Posts: 467 | Location: Allegan, MI. | Member Since: 08-14-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
Check out Meteor Crater. It is between Winslow and Flagstaff.

Since you have the freedom to choose your route and time, check with the various state tourist agencies to see if special events like rodeos, races, airshows, or whatever might appeal to you are occuring.

Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 528 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
Thanks Lou and Matt, gonna have lots of fun and have a couple of side trips planned, although it never seems like you have enough time or money.

Mary

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Montezuma Castle, Walnut Canyon cliff dwellings, Sunset Crater, Canyon de Chelly, just to name a few. Have a great trip.

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
There are honestly so many options it is mindboggling. Thinking back it was 1992 when I was there as a tourist. And even longer since tent camping. Both times I visited the Grand Canyon it was in the middle of winter. So we stayed at the Lodge and ate at the restaurant which both were overpriced.
A real cool thing might be the train ride from Williams AZ to the Grand Canyon.
I wish I could go Tooling Along

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
Tim, thanks for the tips, I know it is going to be a fun trip. My hubbie says my brother is the oldest living Hippie and I must agree he is most unconventional but in a nice way.

Doris, I wish you could go too, you would fit in with us very well.

Am on my way to Memphis to meet with brother for departure in the morning. I made reservations at Kaibab National Forest for a tent site with no electric, quite different than camping in the Flintstone Mobile.

Mary

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
Mary enjoy your trip. Not right on your way, but if you get a chance try to make Sedona. It's not to far south of Flagstaff. Very senic.

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
If you are considering Sedona, and have a toad, consider Jerome, as well.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post