Tools
Reply To This Topic

Talledega, Oct.6,7,8
 Login now/Join our community

Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted
Can you believe it's Dega time again? Who's gonna make it this year? Ronnie and his gang will probably show, and I'd like to see some of you other race fans make it down to Alabama for this one. It's got to be one of the most RV friendly places to see a big time weekend of racing there is anywhere on the planet.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
I try to avoid stepping on other folks posts but nothing has come up here in a few days so I thought I'd throw this out again in case anybody else has decided to go to Dega.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Danny Zeeff:
I try to avoid stepping on other folks posts...
Stepping on ones own post is ok. Big Grin

I wished I lived closer then a 20 hour drive. How lond of a drive is it for you and how long do you stay? Dega is one of those tracks that's on my short list to do. Report back on your trip when done Danny. Hope you have a lot of fun.

Bill N.Y.

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
We jump off 75 at Tifton and make our way through Columbus Georgia over to Alexander City Alabama, where we stay at Wind Creek State park for Thursday night.[This is the nicest state park I've ever been to!!] It's a nine hour ride from home,m a lot of it on very nice state roads. Another hour and a half brings us to the track. Homeward bound we take 20 to the Atlanta bypass south to 75 and all the way home. Millage differs very little, about 620 each way, and time is about the same, if traffic jams due to accidents are taken into consideration. I may just take the Alabama state highways home this year on Monday morning, just to see how it works out. In any case, you absolutely positively HAVE to get to Dega. I can hook you up next year with a spot close to ours. We pay 80 bucks for the weekend this year and are five minutes walk from the gate. Even closer to the backstretch, which is a great grandstand. I'll let you know how this year went and what to expect next year. Here's a quick map for you.
http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main.adp?go=1&do=nw&...2s=AL&2z=&panelbtn=2

79 Barth Classic

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
I see your back - tell us a bit about the race - it sure looked like fun from the boob tube!

Bill N.Y.

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Sorry to take so long Bill. I started a reply and got interupted and couldn't find it so here's another try. The trip went very well, with the exception of some idiot in an old beater pickup going less than ten mph on 75 in North Fla. in the traffic lane when there was a wide breakdown lane. Came over a hill and there he was. Semi to the left, semi behind him, and cars behind me, just breaking daylight! Thank God truckers are proffessionals and know when a bad wreck is about to happen. I squeezed her in between the big rigs and missed the idiot by a good 3/8".
Gas prices; South of Ocala- 2.02 - 2.18. Ocala-2.36. North of Ocala- 2.02 -2.08. Georgia state line- Valdosta- 2.05. Tifton- 1.95. Columbus to Alex City 2.05 -2.10. Diesel was 2.35 -2.40 everywhere.
Talledega; This year was by far the most crowded we've ever seen in our 10+ years going to Dega. We arrived Friday at noon and hit 3 wide stand still traffic turning on to speedway blvd, 6 miles fron the track. The racing was incredible, we got the ARCA race Friday, but they started it so late that even with very few cautions they had to end it early due to darkness. Maybe somebody could check on sunset time next year?? The trucks ran Saturday and did a fine job, but couldn't put together a checkered flag finish. And of course Sunday was absolutely incredible until Vickers put an end to what would have been a great three car race to the checkers.
Up till three years ago a Monday AM departure guaranteed clear sailing from the track on home, with expected delays on 20 going into Atlanta to the bypass south to 75. As this was getting worse the last couple of years, and 75 is torn up through most all of Georgia, we decided to backtrack through Bama and Georgia the way we go up. Out of the track was one hour, the 6 miles down speedway blvd was another, then after 3 miles on 77 we encountered a wreck involving a big coach that shut down everything. Got back to Alex city -a 55 minute ride going up on Friday- 4 1/2 hours after leaving our campsite.
Anyway, got home safe and sound about 11 pm.
Oh yeah, they changed the Westpark campgrounds around at the track so when I went to see Ronnie and some other friends, I was totally lost. Never saw another Barth or had anyone acknowledge ours the whole trip, but our Michigan friends were really freaked out by the work we did over the summer, and the patio room. Got a bunch of pix to download and get into an album, and I'll try to find a couple that may interest you guys. I'll be posting a vapor lock post in Tech soon. That was the only minor glich, [just a sputter once in a while], but I'd be glad to hear from anyone else who has had this problem with a 454 quad-jet gasser.

79 Barth Classic