Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Barthing Montana
 Login now/Join our community

posted
We just pulled in last nite from 10 days in Montana, where "the men are men and the sheep are lying little tarts", with our '87, 34T/454. The first day out, we were heading east on I-84, cruising at about 62-65, when I saw in my mirrors a MH coming up at about 75mph. It was another Barth! As it passed us I noticed it was a Breakaway and weaving at that speed. When we'd get to the hills, I noticed he'd slow down more than we did and I'd gain on him..... Finally, in one of my typical sophmoric moves I put the hammer down and passed him (while pulling two large motorcycles on a very heavy trailer)at 80mph and 2800 rpm! Gear Vendors Rule!! After that, we turned off at Umatilla, OR. to get to Walla Walla, WA. and damned if we didn't see another (what certainlly looked like a Regal)Barth parked in a backyard there. This was a strange one. It was a 25'ish, with an extended platform on the back, maybe 4 or 5 feet long. Eastern Washington was cooking, it was 103 degs.! Out of Pomeroy, WA. we pulled off for a bite to eat and to let everything cool down, the generator gives a cough and the whole works shuts off....... TOO HOT! So, back on the road, the generator got some air passing over it and after fifteen of so hot minutes we put it and the a/c's back on line. First gear OD (30-35 mph)up Lolo pass and the fan was cutting in and out like it never has. All the time in Montana and the weather was 75 to 80ish, complete with lovely thunder and lightning shows. As we got back to eastern WA, we hit more 100deg temps! Would you believe it had been twenty degrees cooler while we were gone! I wish I could tell you how great the mileage was on the flat with no wind at 65mph, but alas, ehe odometer and trip meter gave up on the way to Montana. We did see a bit over seven, but that was with lots of hills, wind and throttle work. This was our first trip of any kind with the G/V and I can't believe the difference it has made. Much more quiet and easier on the engine. It now purrs along at 2500 rpm and 65 mph. If I kick it out of o/d, it makes a hell of a noise. It appears that every one hundered rpm is good for five mph from about 55 up. Nice to come down those hills in 2nd o/d too, saves on the brakes!
Cheers, John

Posts: 114 | Location: Skamania, WA, USA | Member Since: 07-21-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Thanks John and Irene for the update. I am sure glad to hear your success up the hills with the 5000 lbs? on the back. That makes me feel better which I buy my P/U and turn it into a toad. I am not going to mention the make of the PU we're looking at or I have to take a beating from Bill H.

Sounds like a wonderful trip. How did the two AC's do a keeping you cool?

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The two a/c did ..... errr, ok. The rear one will turn the bedroom into a freezer unit and the front one has about four times the area to cool off and it works hard. I'm guessing the trailer and two bikes weigh about one ton. The tag axle and two wheels must be around 1/2 ton, plus the extra "Barth" we have, and we probably come close to an F-150 Ford size pickup tied to your Barth. Hey, you can always fire up the toad and use it as a "pusher".
After driving a couple of hundred miles down the Clearwater River, I think the first mod is the ball bearings and Bilstein shocks up front, then the G/V and finally, extra hp exhaust system. The G/V makes the most overall difference in how you go down the highway, but it's really nice to be able to point it and have some extra power or the hills. We're scheduled for double pane windows next, so the Exhaust is for next year...... IF we still can afford gas ($2 a gallon on the trip).
Cheers, John

Posts: 114 | Location: Skamania, WA, USA | Member Since: 07-21-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
She who must be obeyed
and
me, Ensign 3rd crass
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
Hi:

Sounds like a great trip. Please tell me about the GV, it sounds like some kind of overdrive, is that correct? Where did you get it and how was it to put in?

Timothy

Posts: 282 | Location: Studio City, California | Member Since: 02-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/08
posted Hide Post
Sound like you had a good trip,and it was a lot of fun.Thank for the posting and letting us share in on your trip.We are getting cabin fever,wanting to get on the Road.

------------------
Jay&Shelby 95 Regency 34ft. 300 hp.

[This message has been edited by bubbiebarth2 (edited August 11, 2004).]

Posts: 134 | Location: Harriman,Tn.U.S.A. | Member Since: 01-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post