Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Arizona to Niagara
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted
Well we made it only as far as Willcox Az from north Phoenix yesterday. Same as last year, when we blew a rear tire on I-10 at Willcox and stayed over to have four new Michelins installed.
But this time it took us two and a half hours to go 8 miles on I-10 near Benson. Tanker truck hit an overpass and exploded, closing the highway, so we carried on to Willcox and stayed at the same place as last year. A nice stop over called Magic Circle RV Park.
We did a little better today and are at the KOA in Van Horne Tx. Also a nice clean well kept place for a one night stop over if you're in the area.
The Barth is eating up the miles so far, and doesn't even mind the temps in the 90s here in west Texas. Tomorrow it'll be I-20 to Dallas or beyond.
We love our Barth!!
Don and Patty

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Golly, Don......You guys are leaving AZ just as it is becoming really beautiful. The flora here is just exploding with green leaves and grass. And the drab green/gray scrub is becoming a vibrant green. And we are seeing so much more animal life now. Our cardinal is back, the roadrunner is hanging around, etc. Including mice, dammit. However, that means sautéed rattlesnake soon.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Hi Bill, you still there for a few days? We are on the way to Texas now to do the Texas Mile Shootout. Probably could swing thru on our way to I10 east!

Yes Don you left a couple of day to early, we might have been able to meet up.

We are Las Vegas now will be heading South and East late tomorrow or early Sunday

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
Under normal circumstances we would not be heading home; ... but the daughter at home is "exploding" with another grand daughter for us, due the 1st week of April. Grandma just has to be there for the big event.
We can also be of some help by taking their labrador retriever and the 2 year old while they deal with the new arrival.
Currently in Weatherford Tx about 30 mi west of Dallas at Oak Creek Rv, exit 397 on I-20. Excellent if you need a place in this area.
Tomorrow we are bound for Memphis
Don and Patty

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
Like Don, I recently (Friday pm) left AZ in a Barth. Thank God no exploding tankers impeded me. However, I did not make very good time. When I left Mesa, I was told to get on 60 and it would take me to I-10. I found 60 and took a ramp onto Eastbound. It was counter-intuitive to go West. Welllll... actually I should have gone West to connect with I-10 where it runs due N/S. Kept going and going Easterly on 60. Eventually I stopped to look at paper AAA maps I packed, whereas I was not using GPS (no juice at the lighter-type socket on the dash).
To find my way to I-10, I took 60 though the mountains to 70, continued (now in darkness) East on 70 to 191, then South to I-10.

It looks as though I did not go way out of my way. I made an arc toward the North. Had I gotten on I-10 back at Tempe, I would have made a big dip to the South. Soon after I entered NM, think it was 1:00am "my" time, I pulled into a rest area to get some sleep.
Saturday was a long, long day. got back on the road about 0700 "my" time and wanted to get to my daughter's in Mansfield, TX Sat night so as to go to church w her Sun am. In fact, it was the wee hours of Sunday when I finally got there.
I think it was during a lunch break Sat that I looked around in the coach for alternative power for my Garmin and (praise GOD) found two 12V sockets in the cabinet practically over my head.

had not expected to make such awful time. trouble is, the 5.9 can hardly get me up to 60mph and was not able to maintain that speed until Tuesday on I-69 Northbound though Northern IN. Today I called and asked Helen Yale if that was normal. I doubted that it could be, knowing that she and her late husband often towed a Jeep. I was towing nothing -- nothing except the perception of a 10,000 lb. trailer. Helen said they used to cruise 60-65 while towing the Jeep. I think a clue to the lack of power is the coincidence of the water temp gauge never going above 125f even crossing mountains. The needle does come off the peg, but not much. Perhaps the thermostat is stuck open and never allowing the engine to warm up. I plan to take the coach to Lloyd Bridges Traveland ASAP.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post