Tools
Reply To This Topic

Georgia on my mind
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted
3 nice parks to visit:
George Smith State Park (14 miles north of Metter and Interstate 16, known for Guido Gardens): 25 sites almost all on the cypress lake, canoe/kayak and fish, visit grist mill, clean open campground, most sites shaded but no tree limbs or "attack trees". Big space, playground, fish cleaning station, cottages. Very relaxing, no TV or WIFI. Beautiful scenery.

Fort McAllister State Park (off I 95 exit 90, about 8 miles from Richmond Hill, near Savannah GA):
between Ogechee River and marsh, historic site, campground on a separate island, nice forest surrounded by marsh, deer and racoons visit. Also near Fort Stewart.

Blythe Island Regional Park (Glynn County Brunswick GA): very easy access from I 95 exit 29: go west to first 4 way traffic lite (there is a Wynn Dixie store), turn right and go north on Hwy 303, cross under I95 and turn right into park, about 2 miles down in there. Boat dock with lift, fishing pier all on deep water (Brunswick River across the big ships unloading cars), fresh water lake with fishing. Semi private sites (pull thrus are 80 feet long !!!), only $36.63/night for full hook up with cable and wifi, $477/month.
Fire rings, tables, concrete patio. Only negativ all the signs "no alcohol".
Bathhouses are clean, the sites wooded and shady, people friendly. So are the bunny rabbits hopping all around. Trails, 1100 acres.
And access to some great seafood places in Brunswick GA and offshore fishing trips.

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I will copy these and show them to the boss. Thumbs Up
I like Georgia (except driving around Atlanta) head bang and we always have good weather it seems.

Liz's 96 yr old father passed away Oct 31. We should all be so lucky. He had a long healthy life, died in his sleep, in his bed, in his home, no tubes, surrounded by his family. He was only bed ridden for 3 days.

We are now free to make plans to escape the winter again this year. We barely made it last year… why did we come back here after Hillsborough?

I will push for earlier departure south and longer stay!

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
We've stayed at Reed Bingham State Park, mm 36 I 75 Adel, a few times. The last time the gnats were unbearable and the womens bath was flooded. OK for a layover but not a destination.
Steve, sorry to hear about Liz's dad, but as you say, we should all be so lucky. Hope you come down the old coast so we can see you guys.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Steve, I have found that going straight through Atlanta on I 75 is much better than using the beltway. I've even done it in the middle of rush hour with no real problems. Been messing around Atlanta since 1960 when I drove through it on my way to Ft. Benning, GA. A few changes.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
who does not like the Watermelon 500??? Tooling Along
I always hit it when they turn over a tractor trailer or block the two left lanes ... Waiting for the snow now LOL
Tried the back road (Hwy 64 from TN into NC and GA) and went I40 thru the gorge into NC and then down I26 and Hwy 301. Atlanta just the fastest, sooo here we go with the rest of the herd.
There is only two kind of drivers, the idiots in front of you and the maniacs behind you. Big Grin

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
Georgia is a great fall/winter destination if you stay south of I-16. It might get a little chilly at night, but cheaper and less crowded than Florida. The snowbirds have begun their yearly migration, believe me.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
For just "passin' through":

Harvest Moon RV Park, Adairsville, GA, I-75 Exit 306. Plain but pleasant park, convenient to Zaxby's and other fast food places. Free popcorn.

Forsythe Campground, I-75 Exit 186. Very nice park. Transients are in the open lower field. Excellent pizza. Charge for wi-fi. Some guides will show this as a KOA, but it is no longer.

Twin Oaks Campground, Elko, GA, I-75 Exit 127. Clean park, very friendly owners. Fenced dog area.

Southern Gates RV Park, Arabi, GA, I-75 Exit 92. Skip this one - cable TV and wi-fi are both out. Otherwise, it's a nice little park.

Coastal Georgia RV Park, Brunswick, GA, I-95 Exit 29. One of the nicest parks anywhere, on a small lake. Fenced dog area. Nearby Winn-Dixie and restaurants. Convenient to St. Simons Island and excellent seafood.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
BTW GA state parks offer pay 30 days stay half price snowbird special in some locations