Tools
Reply To This Topic

Kalkaska to Franklin NY
 Login now/Join our community

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted
I had not seen my brother in law in a couple years. The last two visits they came to see us so we decided it was our turn.

They live in the hills just outside of an old historic town in eastern NY, Franklin.

We left Monday morning, heading east. As when we went to the Manistee GTG recently, MDOT decided we were not to go easily.
This time, the main southbound freeway from Ann Arbor to Toledo was closed, both ways...! OK, we'll detour east a bit to take I275 south from Detroit. Yeah right.. it is down to one lane for miles. So the entire SE corner of MI has one lane to use to go south. Took us 5 hours to get to Toledo. head bang

Made it to western NY first day. Coninued on to Franklin. 810 miles and we arrived. Oh boy, they really do live on the side of a hill, a driveway like a terrace. I wasn't sure I could get in and out! confusion

Posts: 5156 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Made it over the hump at the end and didn't bottom out. I was surprised

Posts: 5156 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Pulled in toward the house.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
No room for slides on the uphill side!

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
No room on the other side either! confusion

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
View from the house:

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
We had a great time for a few days. Got to meet the neighbors on their centennial dairy farm. (One of the newborn calves was red colored and Liz got to name it. The owner wanted a name starting with T that was red related. Liz thought the cow was sweet so she came up with Twizzler. Janice was delighted and so the cow is Twizzler!)

On Saturday I backed out with surprisingly little trouble and we were on our way. We drove to Ohio west of Cleveland on Saturday. Returned home Sunday via central part of Michigan to avoid the road construction.

All in all, a good run. 1625 miles. I drove 70 mph most of the way (when I could) and got 9.4 mpg. No problems with the coach and a great visit!

Have Barth, will travel. Tooling Along

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Summer road work is really a pain, seems they could do better planning.

How on Earth did you get that Barth backed up and get out of there??? Tooling Along

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2041 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Had to back it straight out the driveway (very carefully!), then went up and over the hill on the main road. No way could turn around anywhere!

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Guess that is why you are referred to as Lizs' driver!!!

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2041 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post