Tools
Reply To This Topic

Heading north
 Login now/Join our community

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted
We left the Keys April 1. Stayed April 1,2 at Larry and Penny Thompson RV park west of Miami. An old county park, large sites, easy to find, good wifi.

Left for Ortona Locks state park, stayed April 3,4,5. Had a great time meeting Carl and Betty Flack and several other SOB friends. Had a great dinner together Friday and shared their wonderful hospitality.

Deb and Ed stopped by on Saturday (They live across the river, rode over in the golf cart, then walked across the locks to visit with us.) Hadn't seen them since Hillsborough 2013, we both missed it last Dec.

They invited us to stay the extra day Sunday and go for a boat ride up the river through the locks. Yeah!!! What a great time! We came back and had dinner together. What a great day.

Another fine time with my Barth friends. We left Monday morning for Williston Crossings RV resort. Beautiful park, great landscaping, several lakes, right near town.

Only downside: even though quiet hours are 10PM to 8AM, the contractor showed up at 7AM (before sunrise) to run a chain saw and front end loader about 100 ft from our site. Evidently they can't tell time… also wifi is very slow for a park of this caliber.

We'll be leaving tomorrow to visit Cagles in Georgia. We were planning to see them in Feb at Glades city but Nick's leg forced their retreat home. We are looking forward to this visit, as always.

to be continued:

Have Barth, will travel

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5156 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I trust you made it to UBRVRAPE II without incident!

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Picture of Cantrade
posted Hide Post
Take it slow and easy, Steve. I have found that the enjoyment is in the journey.

Don

1993 Breakaway 33'. Cummins 6BTA5.9 with Bosch injection. Upped to 260 HP or so. Third owner.

"If it's not worth doing, it's not worth doing well!!" Cummings Law

Posts: 140 | Location: Central New Mexico | Member Since: 04-18-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
A nice drive up 301 to 1 to UBRVRAPE II to see Cagles. Always good company. We took Rusty's spot for a couple days. ROTFLMAO

Onward tomorrow. Planning to see Tom and Nancy this weekend. Thumbs Up

BTW I added a few more shots to the first post, now that I have working wifi.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5156 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Said goodbye to Cagles, already looking forward to next time. Drove to Creekwood RV park near Waynesville, NC. A nice park nestled in the mountains, with a picturesque creek running along side. Restrooms are spotless. I was lazy and took a pull through near the bathroom. If I were staying longer the sites near the river are really nice.

We left Saturday morning, heading to see Tom and Nancy Johns near Monticello, KY. Lots of hills and curves in the mountains.

Have Barth, will travel

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Another day of hills and curves, and more hills and curves got us near Monticello to see Tom and Nancy Johns. We missed them in February at Everglades City, so we were pleased to see them again.

The house is on one side of the road, the RV site is across the street. Beautiful day, the trees and plants are showing the signs of Spring. Another great time with Barth friends.

Tomorrow we'll head north a little farther, northern KY or southern OH.

To be continued.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 01/08
Picture of Deb&Eds38
posted Hide Post
Steve

It was great seeing you folks again and meeting Carl, Betty and their friends. Got the boat fixed and deb and I are back up in Tallahassee. Have a safe trip home and hopefully see you folks at one of the future GTG's

Ed & Deb

Posts: 357 | Location: Ortona- Turkey Creek Florida | Member Since: 10-04-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Never know Ed, we might stop by… for just " a few days" ROTFLMAO

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 01/08
Picture of Deb&Eds38
posted Hide Post
Doors always open and the refrigerator is full!

Posts: 357 | Location: Ortona- Turkey Creek Florida | Member Since: 10-04-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
After saying goodbye to Tom and Nancy we spent the night in a small RV park alongside the freeway about 30 miles south of Cincinnati. Today we drove through Cincinnati construction, Dayton construction, numerous 20-30 mile sections of I-75 construction. The whole dam state is under construction. Uneven lanes, potholes, lane closures, lane shifts. Of the 9 states we traveled through this winter, Ohio roads were by far the worst.

Arrived here in Canton about 3PM. So far about 3,850 miles and 220 to go to Kalkaska. (Saved about $900 in gas compared to last winter!) Not a bad "break-in" for the new engine. Other than the rear brakes and the front seal leak on the new engine, we had no problems. Tooling Along
I will soon get back to the many Barth projects I stalled on last summer. Look for more updates! mechanic
Heading for Kalkaska in a few more days.

Have Barth, will travel

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Did you get the front seal repaired? mechanic

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Nope, it is settling down to about 1 qt in 600 miles. As soon as I get to Kalkaska I will pull the balancer and seal, also replace power steering pump and hoses. I think my fan clutch is due for R&R also. I will report the findings soon.

Also I will finish rear axle: brake, left rotor, caliper and lines, replace hub bearings and seals, and new tires.

I will pull out the transmission soon and get it rebuilt. New torque convertor and parking brake also. I may get the driveshafts checked/balanced at that time also.

I am thinking about new front springs and maybe ball joints if needed.

Ordered a new Atwood furnace. Planning to replace vent fan also.

VW toad will get new engine and tow bar attachments.

Need to launch Dad's boat in late May. No bottom work needed this year.

Still have to get my old 454 to Mary Ray for her 85.

So much to do, so little time. mechanic confusion

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
I will pull out the transmission soon and get it rebuilt. New torque convertor and parking brake also. I may get the driveshafts checked/balanced at that time also.

I heartily recommend Suncoast Converters in Ft. Walton Beach, FL for the rebuild (extra heavy-duty clutches) and its own brazed/welded TC. They don't show the TH400 on the website, but give them a call. They uprated my 4L80E from stock 450 lb-ft torque to 850.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I will touch base with you when I get that trans out.

Arrived home in Kalkaska. Things are looking good here after 2 months gone. about 4,120 miles about 6.5 mpg
about 7 qts oil through the front seal. head bang
It ran great all the way home. Tooling Along

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Picture of Cantrade
posted Hide Post
Good Deal, Steve & Liz.

We have been working on getting caught up on the things that have been neglected here while away. I do some things for the subdivision that seem to just be left alone until I am around. The automatic gate was not working and I replaced the actuator. The water system tanks were very low and I have been transferring water so folks don't run out. I need an assistant!!

I got the new mount for the FWHT made and it looks strong as an ox. Tank is not mounted yet but soon it will be.

I suppose the oil leak made a mess in the front end of your Barth. I really like the fact that ours is leak free and stays pretty clean.

The latest problem around here is that my Deuce 6x6 would not start. I knew the alternator was iffy but had not replaced it. Finally I took it down to a shop and they recommended an aftermarket one since the OEMs are around $800. I decided to use the replacement which meant that I had to modify the mount to work with the new narrow mounting ears on the new one. What a job! DeWalt saws-all did the job along with my grinder.

The truck started and ran so I thought I was home free but the next morning--nothing. I found a bad cell in one of the batteries and had to buy a new one. They are over $200.00. All is good so far with the truck.

Getting home is so much fun!!

I'm glad you enjoyed your trip. I think we will be taking shorter trips though--it seems like 2 months is long for us.

Regards to you and Liz.

1993 Breakaway 33'. Cummins 6BTA5.9 with Bosch injection. Upped to 260 HP or so. Third owner.

"If it's not worth doing, it's not worth doing well!!" Cummings Law

Posts: 140 | Location: Central New Mexico | Member Since: 04-18-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post