Forums    Barth Journeys    Note for Fla. travelers.
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Note for Fla. travelers.
 Login now/Join our community

Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted
If anyone will be traveling through Florida soon,[in the next week or 2], be aware that it's love-bug season and it's very important to have a GOOD wax job on the front of your coach, and a good idea to fit a screen over any front openings. These little buggers swarm over the highways and will coat the front of a vehicle in no time. They also seem to be acidic and can damage unprotected paint if left on too long. Also, a good RainX treatment and a full washer reservoir are good ideas.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Wonderful little critters. They are indeed both acidic and waxy. A plastic wool (like steel wool, only plastic) or a dish cleaner made from net fabric are very effective in removing them, much better than sponges.

Windshield washer fluid is useful for wetting the windshield, but only for cleaning when stopped. Wipers just tend to smear the carcasses and reduce visibility. A spray bottle of water with ammonia and a few drops of dish detergent are also useful for wetting the areas.

Welcome to Florida!

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post