Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

More ORR and LSR attempts--
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted
Just returned from another ORR (open road race) in Wendover NV and a motorcycle LSR (land speed record)attempt near Slat Lake City.

The ORR is 56 miles long and goes from Wendover south on Highway 93A to the junction of 93A and 93,there the cars are re-staged and run back north. My primary duties are to run the speed trap and various timing equipment that I have designed to record their speeds. Again the fastest car was a "highly modified" '95 Camaro and went thru the traps at 212 MPH. We had about 80 cars participate in speed classes from 95 MPH to 170 MPH. Good time was had by all!

We then took a week and went to Yellowstone and The Grand Tetons, Great trip and wonderful stops at memorable places. Fairly heavy traffic in spite of the fuel and other related cost increases over this past spring. Most concession operators aren't worried about his year and many activities are booked a year in advance, they are however, VERY concerned about next year.

We got to the Salt Lake City area last Friday and started laying out the road course West of SLC for Ken Morena who would be trying to set a new LSR on an open bike (Hayabusa) and on a open road. (not the salt flats)

We started about 9:00 AM and he made runs until about 1:00 PM. The fastest he was able to go was 208.9 and the attempt was called after the engine blew. They had mechanical troubles all day long, couldn't keep the turbo working well and were blowing hoses off etc.

We returned back to home via a long route thru Las Vegas to attend to some family issues there.

Total trip length was 3145 miles consumed a total of 269.59 gallons of diesel, 20 gallons of propane.

For this trip, more experimentation, I slowed WAY down, max of 65 and very easy on the throttle when accelerating, the results are obvious, averaged 11.65 MPG for the entire trip. The legs in Yellowstone were made without A/C so that helped some what. We had several tank fulls that averaged over 12 MPG and some that did dip into the high 10 MPG range.

I was very careful to level the coach and fill for standing liquid in the filler pipe right at the vent opening just below the top of the fill pipe each time. As I have commented in the past, the design of the filler pipe is one of the worst I have seen and used.

We have just taken a 300 mile trip down the coast to burn off some fuel (and see some sights of course). I am now down to slightly less then 1/2 tank on the gauge and will start to drain the tank in preparation of tank removal. I am going to relocated the filler inlet on the tank to the front of the tank and to the very top of the tank. I am very tired of spending 30+ minutes at fuel stops to top off the tank completely. When done I will post pictures and results in the improvement section.

My next ORR race is at Battle Mountain NV Aug 21.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/09
Picture of towerguy
posted Hide Post
Hi Ed,

I'll be very interested in the results of moving the fuel fill pipe. I have the same problem at times with the Stagecach. At times, it will fill at a much faster rate while a pickup on the other side of the pump is at a crawl, literally watching the cents go by. At $4.60 (+/-) per gallon, they should be flying by at a blur - unfortunately.

Bill, Sharron, Hayley and Bridgett

1990 38' Regency Widebody [RDG-B), Anniversary Edition, Cat 3208TA - 300HP, Gillig Chassis, Side Aisle

"Stagecoach"
1990 38' Regency Widebody (RDG-B)
Anniversary Edition
Cat 3208TA - 300HP
Gillig Chassis
Side Aisle

Posts: 480 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Member Since: 04-02-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Did you get any good pix this time? I'd like to see the bike that made the attempt. A 200+ Camaro? I'd say it's "highly modified"!

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3477 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Here is a link to some pictures and video of the LSR.

LSR attempt

Didn't get any pictures of the ORR but the cameraman was there and when he finishes going thru all 6000 pictures I am sure there will be some of the Camaro and others at the speedtrap.

I will try to get more pictures at Battle Mountain, Pony Express 130.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post