Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Once again back in Texas
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted
Left last Sunday and took a leisurely drive to Victoria Texas and then down to Pt.Lavaca. Staying at Magnolia Beach now.One of my favorite spots to park right by the water and relax. Probably less than a dozen RVs along 8 miles of beach.

Back to Victoria airport Wednesday to set up for the last Texas Mile event of the year. The Ford GT that holds the world's record of 293.6 MPH for the standing mile is going for 300 MPH.

The turd fairy hit me a couple of times this trip but nothing really delayed me, will go over 280K miles this trip. Barth is getting a little tired.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2176 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of dustyjeeper
posted Hide Post
Wow. Ed you really get around.

1978 Barth 17' Cabin Fever
1997 Barth 23' 4 door Command Center

Posts: 505 | Location: LaSalle CO | Member Since: 12-05-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Fantastic, is that the original engine and transmission??

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2045 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, all original. head gasket replacement and rear main seal is the only repair that I have done on the engine. Nothing done to the transmission. Transmission has always been a little lazy shifting from 3rd to 4th and that seems to be getting worse.

I have repaired or upgraded lots of other stuff.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2176 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am approaching home now. All in all, an OK trip.

Turd fairy hit a few times. Just as I got into Arizona, notice a heavy exhaust smell found that 2 exhaust manifold bolts on #1 had worked their way out. a third was not tight. I had torqued all three times when hot. Removed one of the bolts from #5 and tightened up #1. Found class 10.9 metric bolts at Ace Hardware, torqued all and on the way again.

Texas Mile went just OK. Friday was cold my equipment work well, big head wind and no real speeds recorded. Saturday same, high head wind again.

Sunday was clear and calm. Unfortunately we had a horrendous crash by a GT-R! went thru the traps at 254.1 MPH and it looks like it blew a tire (not confirmed) Driver was badly hurt, air lifted to Brooks Army Med Center.

Big Red Camaro got his best speed ever at 251 MPH. Bikes were in the 250 MPH range fastest being a Hyabusa at 256+/-MPH

Turd fairy again, cruise control stopped working, a few miles later I discovered the trailer brake controller wasn't responding. The two problems are related as both the cruise control and brake controller need the braking signal to deactivate the cruise control and activate the trailer braking. Brake lights are working. I could manually activate the trailer brakes so it required constant attention going over and down many of the mountain passes.

Rolled over 280K miles this trip. Will be good to be home in a few hours.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Way to go ED, a true adventurer!!! Lovely Barth!!!

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2045 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the report. Glad to hear the Big Red boys are still at it. 256 on a motorcycle is insane, but the Top Fuelers are getting close. The week after next is the Man Cup World finals in Valdosta Georgia. There's a live stream available, and you want to tune in at noon Sunday {Eastern} for the Top Fuel and TF V Twins. Watch for me at the fence!

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3477 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post