Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Will be heading north---
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted
After the ORR in Wendover, NV Jun 11, we will be headed North toward Bamff etc, any suggestions as to what and where we should go, look, stay wo7uld be welcomed. Any and all tips, looking forward to this trip, we will end the Canadian portion in Vancouver and then head South. We plan to take some time and are in no rush.

Thanks in advance for your advice

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our plans have been firmed up, we leave Jun 5-6 and will be in Wencover NV until Jun 10, we head North to Bammf, should take a couple of days, should be in that area around Jun 13 and plan to go to Lake Louise, Jasper and are planning 5-7 days in that area, so on Jun 18-20 we head to Vancouver BC to pick up our niece maybe 1-2 days there and then head south, probably I5 down.

I will have internet and phone coverage until Canada and then probably use a calling card, don't like rooming charges.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ed,

Make sure you check out the Maroon Bells area, which is a left turn before you head down to Lake Louise. It's the mountain shot that you will find on the back of one of their paper bills ($1, $2, or $5, I just can't remember which one). The trail around to the back side of the lake is magnificent, to say the least. There's also a trail that heads past Lake Louise from the hotel to a small rest hut where they sell baked goods - another excellent place to spend a day. Then there's the Athabasca glacier to the north and water falls and more spectacular mountain scenery - the list goes on. In my book, this area is as good as it get's in North America - as close to the Swiss Alps as you can get here.

Posts: 136 | Location: IL | Member Since: 08-25-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tips! I have received email from other Barth owners that are in the area or have information about the area. All is GREATLY appreciated.

Should be a good memorable trip!

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

posted Hide Post
Not Maroon Bells but Moraine Lake. Got my trips confused. That's in Aspen, but nice too.

Posts: 136 | Location: IL | Member Since: 08-25-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Progress report:

The Bonneville race was good no crashes and the fastest times thru my speed trap was 213 MPH set by a NASCAR Ford Thunderbird. The race, two 50 mile legs, was Saturday on Hwy 93A just South of Wendover, NV.

We left right after the race and got to Twin Falls ID. Today we are just outside of Glacier Nat'l Park in Kelispell MT.

Will be going thru the Park and then on toward Bammf Canada, tomorrow (Monday).

Barth is running good, from home to Wendover the mileage was not so good---but---at 75+ can't expect much. Got 9.8 MPG average. Getting an oil leak fron the injection pump right where the fuel cutoff shaft comes out. Gotta get a pulse wiper control, lots of rain and two speeds just doesn't do it in the misting conditions.

From Wendover to here, completely different story, cut the speed down to 65 and have averaged 11.3 MPG. Went over 4-5 passes highest being 8700 ft. The last leg from Twin Falls ID to Kalispell MT was 515 miles and was made on one tank, guage was reading about 1/4 when I filled up 44.1 gallons.

Unless we can find a WiFi hot spot in Canada, this will probably be the last posts that I can make until I get back into the US.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

posted Hide Post
We are in Vancouver now and have had a fabulous trip so far. Everyone that suggested side trips were spot on!! From Wells NV, we went up Hwy 93 straight into Canada and into the Bamff, Lake Louise, Jasper area. Have taken hundreds of pictures but the memory is so vivid now that I have continual flash-backs of the mountains, lakes, glaciers. Only complaint has been the weather, a bit cold but that was a welcome change from "sunny California" weather. Will take some time to catalog all the pictures but hopefully, I can put them up on my website later.

Have made another list of "things-to-do" on the Breakaway, but the list is getting shorter. Will have to give it a real good bath when I get home.

More later--

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater