Forums    Barth Journeys    A trip to Missouri for my folks 60th anniversary.
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

A trip to Missouri for my folks 60th anniversary.
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of dustyjeeper
posted
Stopped along I-70 in Ellis Kansas. Went on to Mozingo lake in Maryville Mo. On the way back stayed st Mccook Nb at a free roadside park along 34 highway. My niece made a cake resembling the round barn on our farm.

1978 Barth 17' Cabin Fever
1997 Barth 23' 4 door Command Center

Posts: 505 | Location: LaSalle CO | Member Since: 12-05-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Such excellent memories. That barn is way cool! Looks like your folks have a nice place to enjoy life.

Wow, talk about a family resemblance, esp Dad and sons!

Thanks for sharing. Looks like you have tamed the photobucket beast pretty well. Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5160 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dustyjeeper
posted Hide Post
Thanks Steve. I read my guide to pics and remember to wait for the arrow to turn into a hand, then all is well.

I wrote this about the barn a few years ago:

The round barn. She sits atop a hill surrounded by time. For me she is the gateway to the past. We were young when dad bought the farm. We would build hay forts in her loft. Look out the windows and see for miles. At night she could be scary, you never know what was running around. I saw my dad rebuild his john deere tractor here. I pulled my first motor using a chain hoist hung from her rafters. At times she stood freezing, others too hot. Yet we were inside dreaming of things to come. Once in a while a car would creep to a stop and an old man get out and ponder. Yes He'd say," I was a kid in that loft". I've never gone home without walking down to visit her. She stands unchanged, forgiving, sympathetic. Simpler times. Someday I'll stand at the end of the road looking at the barn. I wounder what the kid in the loft will think????????????

Posts: 505 | Location: LaSalle CO | Member Since: 12-05-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of kenny j
posted Hide Post
dusty, did your dad milk cows in the round barn?

Posts: 186 | Location: grasston, mn | Member Since: 06-16-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kenny j
posted Hide Post
I should have also asked you, is that the silo in the middle?

Posts: 186 | Location: grasston, mn | Member Since: 06-16-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dustyjeeper
posted Hide Post
No silo. It is a free standing structure supported by the sidewalls only.
My dad raised cattle so we only used the loft for hay.
The previous owner had a long ramp and kept his pigs up there.
Dad had a cedar shack roof put on a couple of years ago.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
good photos.
nice place.
thanks for sharing.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
"Run into the round barn, Nellie - he can't corner you there!"

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Run into the round barn, Nellie - he can't corner you there!"

Oh! Rusty! you little devil you. ROTFLMAO

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dustyjeeper
posted Hide Post

Finally found a pic of the rafters. Yes Rusty we used to sort cattle and it wasn't pretty......

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Great pics and thanks for sharing your memories. A thought entered my mind. In the future, none of these things will be here. Nobody has any use for them anymore. So, where will all the childhood memories come from? I'm watching my three 11 year old grandchildren grow up on a 35 acre horse farm in east TN. Their parents home school them and are making sure they have memories of childhood times in the loft of the horse barn, the creek, or the nature walk through the woods. One has to have an intentionality to provide that kind of childhood for kids these days.
J

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post