Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

San Felipe, Baja
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of beeoh
posted
Just returned from a month in the Yuma area (wasn't for us..too big..too many old snowbirds) so are planning our next winter trip to San Felipe, Baja Mexico. (we need to be near the water and not in the Yuma desert). We're hoping other forum members have spent some time there and can help us with a few questions: we're not concerned with getting there, just what we'll find when we arrive. Is this a comfortable small town to spend a month or so in? Is there reasonable Rv parking near or on the water? We don't require luxury just a nice place to park. We hope to be down there mid-feb until beginning of march or so (next year). Is it possible to get around without taking the car? I would like to just hang my Xl 250 honda mc on the back of mh and use that for running around locally and just hop a bus if we want to explore further. Thanks for any info you guys can pass on to a couple of gringos.

Bob and Jan Orr
Canadian Barth owners
94 30ft. Breakaway/3116 Cat/ Allison 5 speed/ Gillig

Posts: 196 | Location: Qualicum Beach,Vancouver Island | Member Since: 06-20-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
You might find it worthwhile to join Good Sam and/or FMCA, as thee must be members of noth that have made that trek (sorry for that word).

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pat apb7698
posted Hide Post
OOPS; TILT.....
Please explain what you see as an
"OLD SNOWBIRD"

Posts: 2 | Location: Temple, Georgia | Member Since: 10-30-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Yuma tends to be a working class haven as compared to, say Palm Springs or Scottsdale. Hence, there are comparatively few "beautiful people," there who had the wealth to retire before age 65. That may be the origin of the "old snowbird," comment.

There's not much there but good weather, nearby deserts for off-roaders, great swap meets, modest restaurants, and lots of old folks. Not good for seekers of night life, solitude, or tropical beaches.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of beeoh
posted Hide Post
Didn't want my posting to focus on what we thought of the Yuma area, it just wasn't for us. We are from a smaller town and found the area to be too busy with way too many RV parks.I was hoping some of the other members might have been to the baja town of San Felipe to help us out with a bit of info. We do belong to both Good Sam and FMCA and you're right, we could ask them as well.

Bob and Jan Orr
Canadian Barth owners
94 30ft. Breakaway/3116 Cat/ Allison 5 speed/ Gillig

Posts: 196 | Location: Qualicum Beach,Vancouver Island | Member Since: 06-20-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
Did you spend any time out in the Foothills or just in Yuma itself? We are also from very small towns and don't care for crowds but like the Foothills.... surprising how quiet it is out here at night. We just go into Yuma for some of our shopping.

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
She who must be obeyed
and
me, Ensign 3rd crass
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
San Felipe is nice but here is another thought.

I suggest you consider San Carlos in the state of Sonora, you can make the drive in one day during daylight hours from the border. This is a nice town that caters to Americans; you will not be the only snow bird in town. Having said this you are still in Mexico, it is a nice place with the advantage of a large English speaking population. Most of the winter visitors have houses, at least in town.

When I rode down there last year, the pay roads were good and at 60 MPH are a delight on the Harleys. I saw only one RV park, it was in town; we’ll call it picturesque. You may call it rough. I have seen ads on the net for places on the beach near San Carlos but I did not see them. If you can live without hook ups for a few days at a time the places to stay really open up.

It is Mexico so things like a really good fuel filter with extra filaments, extra fan belts, all your own tools (even if you have someone do the work access to decent tools may mean you), a really good jack are not just nice you really have to bring them.

Power in Mexico can be interesting, if you want I can hook you up with a place that sells the computer power isolation stuff used, there is no market for the “big” stuff so if you give the guy enough lead time for his scrap guys to bring one by the price is not too dear.

The Hotel we stayed in had an R.V. in the back; I guess you can work things out in a flexible way. San Carlos is still just off the beaten track. We paid $20.00 a night at the hotel, that is $10.00 each. The room was clean, the staff spoke English, the shower delivered hot water. The matress was thin and there was no heat; I saw a heater vent maybe they just turn it on when it is needed. American style hotels on the beach were $80.00 a night; our hotel was three houses back from the beach in town.

Happy times.

Timothy

P.S. The location where Catch 22 was filmed is just north of town, on the beach and empty; we camped there one night just because it was so nice.

Posts: 282 | Location: Studio City, California | Member Since: 02-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's been quite a few years since we went down to San Felipe. It was fun and there were all kinds of different RV parks with no hookups to full hookups - but you still didn't drink the water. You went to the bottled water store and bought 5 gallon jugs. The only thing that we didn't like was that on some of the weekends since you are so close to San Diego there would be groups of people pulling into the CG with their matching trailers full of sand buggies that would run all weekend long and pull up in front of your space and rev' the engine for twenty minutes ( I guess they thought that was fun). Most of the parks we saw were either on the water or had water views. We ended up at a park that was attached to a nice hotel so beside the RV part we had acess to the hotel pool, tennis court, resturants, bar and such. I am sure you can find whatever you're looking for but I am sure they are very busy in the winter. Happy Travels

Bruce Nalder
Renton, WA.
92-30'Breakaway

Posts: 30 | Location: Renton, Wa. USA | Member Since: 08-16-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some resources for Baja and the rest of Mexico:

Vagabundos del mar - A very useful $35/year membership organization that is wholly dedicated to helping yanquis in all aspects of life and travel in Baja. If you're planning on spending any considerable time there, your dues will be repaid many times over. Started by sports fishermen, but now accepting all. www.vagabundosdelmar.com

On the Road In - a website devoted to travel, RVing, camping and golf in Mexico. Lots of good, free information. www.ontheroadin.com

The Peoples Guide to Mexico - in its 13th edition, this is an excellent introduction to Mexican life, culture and travel - particularly as it relates to longer-term visitors who plan to venture beyond the tourist traps/ghettos. www.peoplesguide.com

FWIW, I always really liked Mulege and the Bahia de Concepcion area for longer- term stays.

Rick, a WTB

Posts: 15 | Location: portland, oregon, usa | Member Since: 11-13-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post