Spring-Summer 2012 Trips
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted
4/18-21: Good Sams GTG, Metter, GA
4/21-23: UBRVRAPE II
4/26-30: Northeast Astro-Imaging Conference and Northeast Astronomy Forum, Suffern, NY
4/30-5/4: Sister's in Absecon, NJ
5/4-5/7: Cousin's in Strasburg, PA
6/10-6/18: Barth GTG, Goshen, IN
6/18-6/24: Buckeye On The Sky (BEOTS) Star Party, Lodi, OH

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I'm on the third leg of the above sked - here at Suffern, NY. It's been around the mid-40°s all day, and the wind's been NW 15-20, gusts to 38 mph.

Weather channel sez 38° tonight, NWS opines 27°F.

Now in the astro-community, sudden cloudy nights signal someone nearby has bought a major piece of astro-gear. Could it be this flukey weather is caused by Bill N Y's new Regency? java

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
You can't blame me on this one. Usually all I have to say is the f word ("flying" somewhere) and the weather goes windy, cold and low overcast. I'm not even near my plane now (but I do think about buying a telescope now and then...) Smiler

It's been so cold here I've been waiting to get back to work on Barth... Milford II is fast approaching!

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5166 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
Someone in Canada left the door open Wink

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
I'm on the third leg of the above sked - here at Suffern, NY. It's been around the mid-40°s all day, and the wind's been NW 15-20, gusts to 38 mph.

Could it be this flukey weather is caused by Bill N Y's new Regency? java
Hey there Rusty. I forgot you were coming up here again so soon. Frowner

You're right, it pretty cold right now. Even so, I'm out at the Barth tearing up the carpeting and cutting up some cabinets to bring it up to what we want for a motorhome. Apparently it can be improved upon.

Stay warm Rusty and enjoy your time at the conference. Smiler

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I thought about inviting myself to your place again, but figured you were "Barthfull". I did feel a bit guilty depriving you of a chance to meet Nelson... Cool

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
While at BEOTS, T S Debby spent some time at my place. It dropped a lot of rain throughout FL, but we needed it. While in VA Tuesday 6/26, I decided to divert to DAV and take that route home rather than I-95/SR 200/US 301.

My choice of the westerly route turned out to be fortuitous; US 301 (my usual route) was closed due to flooding, and there aren't any practical alternatives.

US 441 was also closed a few miles south of the FL-GA line, but I'm familiar with the area, and added about 10 miles and 20 minutes to the trip.

Arriving at home I found about what I expected: The low spots in the driveway and RV pad are under water, as is most of the yard. It appears that the river crested about an hour after I got home, less than the '04 hurricanes - the sidewalk and the route through the woods to the upper driveway are dry. Water would have had to rise another foot to affect the house.

I have to give FedEx credit - I had a delivery expected Friday, but it arrived today - the driver had to go 100 yds through the woods to drop it off, 2 days early.

Here are a couple of pix of the yard - proof I have waterfront property!

Looking left from the front door; the trailer has about 6" water on its right tires.

Straight towards the (usual) river

Slightly to the right ofthe prior photo, a small grove of live oaks about 30' from the house

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Gosh, looks like you live in the middle of a jungle. Very pretty.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
It's 6.25A with ~1000' of riverfront. About 5A is all first growth, including about 2A of bald cypress.

I expect the river to retreat enough to put StaRV II home by Monday.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Wow!

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Water's dropped about 6" since crest. The driveway should be exposed by Sun, but I'll let it dry a day before moving the coach to its spot. I lucked out in the shed (seen behind the trailer) - only got about an inch inside, and only damage is a couple of cardboard cartons.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Picture of Sloop John B
posted Hide Post
The weather is ever changing. We got rain and hail within the hour , no rain for 2 weeks . Ten plus hits by hail on the Honda, Bummer! Mad

JKB

88 28' Regal 454
Blue/Silver metalflake

Posts: 706 | Location: 103 miles west of Milford & 1.75 Miles from Lincoln oasis on I-80 | Member Since: 01-05-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
posted Hide Post
The bridge on US301 between Callahan and Baldwin is gone from the flood. That is a big detour. I noticed when driving over the St Johns River that it was at a high tide peak I had not seen before also.

Posts: 306 | Location: Jacksonville FL | Member Since: 05-21-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of dustyjeeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
The weather is ever changing.

Last year we had 200% of usual moister.
This year no rain. Temps in the 100s 5 days straight and still going. The skys are full of smoke and we could use your rain.

Rusty, I love your getaway along the river.

1978 Barth 17' Cabin Fever
1997 Barth 23' 4 door Command Center

Posts: 505 | Location: LaSalle CO | Member Since: 12-05-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Picture of tom taylor

Posted 06-29-2012 05:51 AM Hide Post
The bridge on US301 between Callahan and Baldwin is gone from the flood. That is a big detour.

Going N on 301 on the way to A1A @Calahan Wed.miday had to detour about 8 miles to get a few miles above Baldwin Thumbs Down

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post