Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Reno Air Races
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted
I finally took some time off and headed up to Reno yesterday to watch the Reno Air Races. I usually go on Sunday so that I can see the qualifying runs on Monday morning. Very few people here during this activity. The actual race starts officially on Thursday.

The way I do it I can see all the planes fly and have no issues with parking or people. I have seen enough acrobatics so I leave on Wednesday maybe even earlier if I get my airplane fix before that!

It used to be free entrance before the race starts but no more. Oh well things change

Barth ran well and now I can confirm that the buzz was the driveshaft. No BUZZ at all at any speed

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
sounds like something very enjoyable. Sometime I should go to Oshkosh, seeing as how it is only two states away.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mogan David:
Sometime I should go to Oshkosh, seeing as how it is only two states away.

Only 1 state if you head north first. Tooling Along

Oshkosh is on my bucket list. To bad TJ moved to Fla.

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
Just left Reno last Friday, usually unloading at a warehouse next to Stead airport and would have had a first class view. But this year missed the Hot August night car show, Bonneville Salt Flat races, and just a glimpse of the Burning Man crowd. We will go to Reno one August and do it all! (my bucketlist, Doris)

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/11
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doorman:
Only 1 state if you head north first. Tooling Along

Also only 1 state if heading west via the SS Badger Thumbs Up

quote:

Oshkosh is on my bucket list. To bad TJ moved to Fla.

Yes, it is to bad. We did have the perfect venue for it, 1/2 mile south of the runway cheers

Tom & Jillene

1988 Regal
28' Chevy 454
8805-3538-28C-B3

Posts: 190 | Location: Crystal River, FL | Member Since: 08-16-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately I lost a good friend Lee Behel, A veteran air racer, retired fighter pilot, GREAT GUY. His Chevy powered Sports class airplane broke up in mid flight during a qualifying run. No one knows what happened, it was sudden!

The racing community will miss him. Pushing the envelope has its dangers.

God bless his SOUL!

I am back home now

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
Our condolences to the loss of your friend and pilot.

On a brighter note 50,000 bikers roaring into Reno Sep 24-28 2014 for the Street Vibrations
also in town: thick smoke from the King Fire in Kalifornia, 87,000 acres on fire, choking low visibility smoke downtown Reno NV

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post