Tools
Reply To This Topic

Outer Banks, NC
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Bill G
posted
I'll be cruising from Massachusetts to the Outer Banks in North Carolina in mid April for ten days. We are planning to use the Chesapeake Bay bridge/tunnel. I checked their website and they say RV's can use the bridge/tunnel if they turn off their propane at the tank.

Has anyone taken their RV across this bridge/tunnel? Do they check to see if the propane is turned off?

Bill G

Bill & Georgene Goodwin
92 (Feb.) Regency 36ft
300hp Cummins
Gillig Chassis (1990 build date)
2014 Honda CRV toad
10Kw Power Tech Gen w/ Kubota diesel engine
Can accomodate Barth visitor with advance notice

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I haven't been over that in years, but they used to have an entry checkpoint for all vehicles with propane tanks.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
While propane tanks are "subject" to inspection at toll plaza, it can be as simple as a toll taker's reminder to turn off tanks.........

ASME & DOT tanks have different allowable sizes, but they're pretty high and should be a non-issue.

Last year, in the wake of management problems, the bridge/tunnel director & others had to fall on their swords, so there may be a whole new operating atmosphere there now......

Enjoy the crossing - be prepared for potential wind challenges.....

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post