Tools
Reply To This Topic

Talledaga Speedway
 Login now/Join our community

Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted
The maiden race trip with the Euro didn't go without some trouble, but the only thing missed was Friday qualifying. We got to Wind Creek State park thursday afternoon with no problems, and after a good breakfast we headed on for the last 70 mile leg to the track. A scraping noise from under the doghouse was our first clue that a water pump was about to spit the bit. We stopped at a parts store and picked up a new pump and tried for the track so we could install it over the weekend. Got to try out the new Plus RV AAA card shortly thereafter when the pump siezed. Got a tow in to Sylacauga and they were going to help put it on but when they saw my buddy Bobby start twistin wrenches they just stayed out of the way. Two hours later we were rolling and made the track in plenty of time for dinner.
The Barth worked perfectly all weekend, and the Onan purred like a kitten. Of course with the tow behind folks and their Coleman power mates and generacs you couldn't hear mine at all. The short hot shower Sunday morning reminded me why I bought a coach. The racing was great, and I read that Junior did a little happy cussin' after winning. That'll cost him.
By the way, we got about 9 mpg, less on the way home running the Onan for ac, and used less than a quart of oil in 1400 miles. Not bad for an 81 28' 454 rig loaded with 4 adults and a weekend worth of supplies!
Also, out of sevteen million coaches there, we didn't see another Barth.
After tightening a few nuts and bolts we'll be ready for another big adventure with our dream come true Barth Euro.
As soon as the pics come back I'll post some just to show it off.

------------------
Dan & Suzy Z
'81 Euro 28

Posts: 3476 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flashnyellow
posted Hide Post
Danny,
My Barth was there also. I did not get a chance to get to your spot to check out your Barth. We traveled 1000 miles and my only problem was the generator. On Sunday night I ran low on gas in the rear tank and I think I got trash in the carb. Got home and the generator is running again. The race was great, even though my driver, Jimmie Johnson #48, had engine troubles.

I got 7 mpg on my trip. What is your engine setup?

------------------
Ronnie
1985 28' P-30 454

[This message has been edited by flashnyellow (edited October 05, 2004).]

Posts: 61 | Location: Lafayette, LA USA | Member Since: 12-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Ronnie, it is likely that your generator just ran dry. My coach (as do many others)has the generator fuel pick up located so it cannot run you out of gas and leave you stranded. that set up has the added advantage of never sucking the crud from the bottom into the delicate little genset carburetor.

Nice paint.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flashnyellow
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill.

------------------
Ronnie
1985 28' P-30 454

Posts: 61 | Location: Lafayette, LA USA | Member Since: 12-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Not too sure of the setup but I know it's a Rochester Quad. I took the AC off because I run the Genset and roofair if needed and it didn't work anyway. My genset will pick up from whichever tank is chosen, and I don't know how far down it will pull the tank because I've never pushed my luck that far. Sorry I missed you up there but we got to see a great race didn't we?

------------------
Dan & Suzy Z
'81 Euro 28

Posts: 3476 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post