Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

retiring soon need some info
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of beeoh
posted
we are soon to retire and are looking for a small town in the sunbelt to spend some of our winter away from rainy Vancouver Island Canada. Yuma is TOO BIG and crowded for us..so looking for some ideas. Ideally a smaller town with a regular RV park close enough for biking and maybe walking. We are not interested in a town that has been yuppi-fied but one that has stayed more natural over the years. Please let us know if you've been to such a place. We want to hang out at the local coffee shop in the morning..catch a movie in an old theater..check out the old hardware store (not wal-mart) that sort of place...must be out there somewhere!

Bob and Jan Orr
Canadian Barth owners
94 30ft. Breakaway/3116 Cat/ Allison 5 speed/ Gillig

Posts: 196 | Location: Qualicum Beach,Vancouver Island | Member Since: 06-20-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Back in the '70's & '80's I used to go to Kerrville TX several times a year to pick-up new Mooney aircraft from the factory. After spending time in Kerr County, I put it on my short list of potential retirement destinations......

Haven't been back in years, but if it hasn't substantially changed, I think it would be worth a look.....Definately NOT Vancouver weather!

I'll be checking the area out myself again in about two years........Good luck - Enjoy retirement!

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
Back in the '70's & '80's I used to go to Kerrville TX several times a year to pick-up new Mooney aircraft from the factory. After spending time in Kerr County, I put it on my short list of potential retirement destinations......

Haven't been back in years, but if it hasn't substantially changed, I think it would be worth a look.....Definately NOT Vancouver weather!

I'll be checking the area out myself again in about two years........Good luck - Enjoy retirement!

I used to have family that RVed full time in Ingram, just outside of Kerrville. They both said their health improved by living there. One had emphysema, the other had back injuries. The whole Hill Country is really nice. I considered retiring in that area, myself, at one time.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by beeoh:
Ideally a smaller town with a regular RV park close enough for biking and maybe walking. We are not interested in a town that has been yuppi-fied but one that has stayed more natural over the years. Please let us know if you've been to such a place. We want to hang out at the local coffee shop in the morning..catch a movie in an old theater..check out the old hardware store (not wal-mart) that sort of place...must be out there somewhere!

Gad Bob!! You've just described where we spent last winter! Black Canyon City Arizona! Except it isn't big enough for the theatre, but evrything else you described is there in spades.
Don and Patty

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Bob and Jan: Check out Del Rio Texas among your short list. Small town (40,000 pop) on the Mexican Border with lots of historic areas, the largest lake in Texas, the oldest winery in Texas. This is a Rio Grande Valley town with several RV Parks suitable for Winter Texans and it has two great features: One it is cheap to live here; Two, Cuidad Acuna is next door so goods and adult beverages are easy and cheap; Three ; if you want domestic help (Not likely for an RV) it is cheap; andnthey haev the other features you mention. They are not as busy as the Hill Country but not as pretty either, unless you appreciate the desert climate and tropical vegetation that is nourished by their underground springs that supply all the water to the area. Hunting is great as is fishing, but shopping is the best value. Google them and have them send you a tourism package.
Tom

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of beeoh
posted Hide Post
thanks and keep the suggestions coming...we are checking everyone of them on the web..nice to know our dream town might be out there...

Bob and Jan Orr
Canadian Barth owners
94 30ft. Breakaway/3116 Cat/ Allison 5 speed/ Gillig

Posts: 196 | Location: Qualicum Beach,Vancouver Island | Member Since: 06-20-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
KERRVILLE...Haven't been back in years, but if it hasn't substantially changed, I think it would be worth a look.....Definitely NOT Vancouver weather!

The Yankees are thick in Kerrville now, and San Antone has expanded so it is too close. Most Hill Country towns qualify, however, and the area around Shrub's "Texas White House" is nice, e.g. Mart, Texas. Any part of Tejas is too hot in the Summer so keep a northern/high elevation outpost available.
DON'T WAIT TOO LONG!!!!

"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I don't know if you'd consider the Southeast, but there's High Springs, FL - there are two RV parks close by (<10 miles), High Springs Campground [5 miles north - never been inside that one) and Travelers Campground [8 miles SE - very nice).

Two hardware stores, one of which dates back to the '30s, the other a very well-stocked Ace. The older hardware store owners also run the Pope Theater. Alice's Restaurant and Floyd's Diner feed well. One of the only two repair shops I trust my truck and RV to is in HS (City Boy's Tire and Brake). One of the best RV dealers in FL is 13 miles SE.

Nearby are the Santa Fe River, Poe Springs, Blue Springs, Ginnie Springs, and O'Leno State Park. Gainesville is 30 minutes away.

High Springs is pretty rustic. 8 miles down the road is Alachua, which on the surface appears similar to HS, but is one of the most corrupt in FL, if not the US.

I live about 20 miles east of HS - coldest in winter is around 25°F (I've seen 18°). Summers can get into the mid 90°s. Rarely, 100°F.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post