Tools
Reply To This Topic

Winter-Spring Star Party Circuit
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted
2/6-10 - Orange Blossom Special Star Party, Lithia, FL. Local to I-75 S, then local to Alafia River State Park

3/4-10 - Kisatchie Star Party, Kisatchie, LA. Local to SR 100 to I-10, US 190 at Alexandria to I-49, Local to Kisatchie National Forest.

3/31-4/7 - Mid South Star Gaze, French Camp, MS. SR 100 to I-10, US 190 to Montgomery, US 82 to Mathiston, MS, Natchez Trace to French Camp.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
4/24-27 - NEAF (North East Astronomy Forum), Suffern, NY. Local to US 301/A1A, I-95 at Yulee, FL; Garden State Parkway at Metuchen, NYST (I-87/287) at Spring Valley, local to Rockland Community College.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
4/24-27 - NEAF (North East Astronomy Forum), Suffern, NY... NYST (I-87/287) at Spring Valley...
Is this everywhere you're going?

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I planned to break down somewhere nearby so I could call you for road service Big Grin. I do plan to run up to Newburgh if invited...Wink

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Let's see, how can I sell it to my wife... Hum, will you be bringing any "Box Tops For Education" coupons? Big Grin

Can you teach me how to use my "NoviceScope" to view celestrial dots?

Well then, I am extending an invitation to have you "not breakdown" in and around Newburgh, N.Y.

I'll PM you for additional times and dates of your trip up north. Please bring the warmth with you. I'm not just talking about your sunny disposition.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I checked the coupons; sadly, I use none of the products except Caribou Coffee Bars (I still have one boxtop from it). Too bad they don't appear on cases of beer Big Grin. In a few years, maybe Depends... Roll Eyes

We can certainly check out your scope.

I'll bring warm weather with me; try not to lose it!

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Leaving tomorrow for the Kisatchie Star Party - to see some old friends on the way at Gulfport, MS. No wi-fi anywhere; back 3/10.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Actually leaving 3/29 (Saturday) for the Mid-South Star Gaze.

Bill N Y, I'll save some of the fresh shrimp I'm taking to NEAF for you and SWMBO.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
Rusty,
When we were in Az we went up to the Lowell Observatory in Flagstaff. Really a great nite, we just about froze to death, going from 70s in the day in Black Canyon City to 20s and breezy at over 7000' in Flag!
The Lowell is famous for discovering Pluto. They brought out a 10" and a 24" for us to view the moon and the rings of Saturn. It was amazing, but what we liked most was having the guides point out and explain the constellations, how they were named and some of the individual stars and galaxys, the light from which had started it's journey to earth a million or more years ago!
Patty bought a star chart before we left and when we got home we went out to the back of the camp where thre wasn't a street lamp to see how many stars and constellations we could find.
Someday we hope we'll get to a Barthmobile meet with you and your 'scopes.
Don and Patty ... in St. Francisville LA. and heading towards home.

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Clyde Tombaugh was the Lowell astronomer who discovered Pluto (he died in '97 at 91); his vision was as good as 20-year olds well into his 80s....the nearest large galaxy is Andromeda, and its light seen today is 2.2 million years old.

Anyway, if you're going back up I-55, French Camp is off exit 185 (Winona), and the Rainwater Observatory is about 1/2 mile east of Natchez Trace on SR 407. I'll be there Sunday afternoon - you're welcome to stop by (the driveway is a bit rustic, and tight after the last curve to the right - trees, but there's plenty of room in the parking lot to turn around). I park behind the building on the right.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Since the Mid-South is in Mississippi, I refer to this each time I go, to get me ready for the trip: The Mississippi Squirrel Revival

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Her transmission rebuilt, StaRV II's underway tomorrow for NY to the NEAIC and the NEAF, with a side trip to Bill N Y.

Sadly, because the transmission computer was balky, I didn't get her back until too late yesterday to go to the seafood market. No shrimp.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke